Official trailer for Netflix Death Note

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's really hard to bring anime to real life. Even the japs who make it struggle when they attempt it.

That has more to do with the state of the Japanese film industry being so poor. All the artists are working in manga/anime or video games. Film is literally a second rate form of entertainment and the directors/writers working there are often simply lack the talent.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:wtf: why is L yelling and unstable?

Why does Light look like an school shooter

Light and L total miecast. Dafoe is perfect.

This guy is L

MV5BMTYzMDE2MzI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkxODgxOTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This guy is light

MV5BMTcwMzU5MDk0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk4NzY4Nw@@._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And they should keep the same personality from the anime/manga

They said its an adaptation brehs. Not the exact same thing as the anime. Plus we've already had Death Note movies from outta Japan. This is something different, but still somewhat similar.

It’s one of those things where the harder I tried to stay 100 percent true to the source material, the more it just kind of fell apart… You’re in a different country, you’re in a different kind of environment, and you’re trying to also summarize a sprawling series into a two-hour-long film. For me, it became about what do these themes mean to modern day America, and how does that affect how we tell the story. Ultimately, the cat and mouse chase between Light and L, the themes of good, evil, and what’s in between the gray area. Those are the core things of Death Note, and that’s really what we went for.

I, for one, am very happy to hear that the tense game of cat-and-mouse will still be present in the film because hat hasn’t really come through in the marketing material. But as for the setting change, Wingard says:

In the early stages of the film I was rereading all of the manga, really just looking at, ‘How does any of this translate to the United States?’ … Ultimately, whenever I say it’s about America, I’m looking at it like, ‘What are the main kind of core issues going on in America?’ What are the things that people chalk up to conspiracy theories? What kind of weird underground programs does the government have? How do I those work into the world of Death Note?

At its core, it’s taking the themes of who the characters are but it’s exploring them in a new context. Ultimately the personalities of the characters a quite a bit different… L isn’t the same. There are a lot of similarities — he likes candy, sometimes he romps around with his shoes off. Those kinds of things, but at the end of the day the take on L and the escalation of his character is very different. He’s still a weirdo. It’s the same for almost all the characters across the board. Probably the only character that comes off as the same way as he does in the anime is Ryuk.

Fans of Wingard’s film The Guest may see some similarities with how L’s character is developed in the context of the story:

One of the most exciting things for me is to take L’s backstory and flesh that out in the context of underground, clandestine American operations, programs, and things of that nature.
'Death Note' Director Adam Wingard Addresses Deviations from the Manga

I'm not a fan of the actor they chose for Light....but it could work for what they're going for. :ehh:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
That's not Light Yagami or L imo. Both miscast. Light looks like a dweeb which is all wrong and L is our here yelling and getting mad, which is all wrong

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Light and L total miecast. Dafoe is perfect.

This guy is L

MV5BMTYzMDE2MzI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkxODgxOTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This guy is light

MV5BMTcwMzU5MDk0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk4NzY4Nw@@._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And they should keep the same personality from the anime/manga
Damn you nailed it. Elliot would be a perfect L. Already has the bads under his eyes. And Baby (forgot his real bame) would be a great light

Uno

Superstar
Daps
Review from a reddit poster

As a big fan of the manga and anime, I must say that it's hard for me to review a piece like this. The team that helm the movie doesn't seen to have any will to please the fans, but to make Death Note susceptible to all the public. The basic plot and the name of characters are there, but that is it.
Is it bad? Well, not really. You won't be disappointed as in The Last Airbender because they are different takes on the story. It's like comparing How To Train Your Dragon book and movie.
Both actors are just... Meh. They look much older than the characters who they're playing and the acting is VERY forced sometimes. If you are a fan of L and his eccentricity, you'll be disappointed. L is sensitive and cool, while Light isn't the super genius guy who we are used to. Beyond that, the movie takes itself too seriously most of the times, which is distracting.
Ryuk is pretty much the perfect take of the character. He's scary, super realistic and Dafoe does an amazing job. Loved Mia and I would prefer her to be the main character and Kyra, since she's a much more interesting character than Light (now that would be different).
It could be so much more, but because the movie is around the two main bland characters, the experience comes a little empty. The experience would be probably better if you don't have any contact to the source material.
It's a 6/10 for me.