Status
Not open for further replies.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The lack of a Chicago bubble really is unfair to the 8 teams . Now their players will have went almost a year without playing competitive ball and no coaching etc

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man I’m disgusted that we really traded Porzingis for fukking DSJ :scust:

it’s still fukk KP but he’s balling at the 5

It’s gonna turn out to be a historically bad trade

a young star for a guy who’s probably gonna be out of the league in a few years and two picks in the 20’s

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

a young star for a guy who’s probably gonna be out of the league in a few years and two picks in the 20’s
Yup, with Knox and Ntilikina being two of the worst draft selections in Knicks history on top of it.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Another highly recognized name joins the team's staff. This is a long piece that profiles his whole career, I'm cutting some decent sized excerpts that include workout descriptions for yall.

There is no time for an interview, a Minnesota Timberwolves PR person says as she whisks Karl-Anthony Towns through the crowd at the Thomas and Mack Center. Towns is in Las Vegas for the 2019 NBA Summer League, where he’s in high demand and in a serious hurry to meet with Wolves coach Ryan Saunders. Even NBA commissioner Adam Silver merits nothing but a brief pause and a handshake.

Towns, yet another lottery pick from Kentucky, was the 2016 NBA Rookie of the Year and is a two-time All-Star for the Timberwolves at the age of 23. Wearing dark sunglasses inside a basketball arena, he projects every bit of the superstar he is.

So, here goes nothing: “Hey, Karl, this story is about Kenny Payne!”

The magic words. Towns stops in his tracks, spins around, flips up his shades and flashes a wide smile brighter than any neon on the Strip.

“I always got time for KP!” he says to the reporter.

Practically unprompted, Towns launches into a lengthy explanation of how Payne taught him every skill necessary to chase greatness at the next level. Then he boils down the role Payne has filled for the last nine years on John Calipari’s staff at Kentucky.

“KP is one of the best development coaches in the world,” Towns says. “KP is the horse beneath the jockey driving Kentucky basketball.”

During his nine seasons in Lexington, Payne has guided nine Kentucky big men to become NBA lottery picks, including No. 1 overall picks Towns and Anthony Davis.

“When I got to Kentucky, I couldn’t do a post move. I was very, very raw,” says Davis, who’s listed as “Baby Giraffe” in Payne’s phone. “I was like a baby giraffe that just came out of the womb — the way they walk, wobbling around on their skinny legs.”

Payne, who at 6-foot-8 still cuts an imposing figure, got busy building both Davis’ body and confidence in the paint, sharing basic principles and a go-to move: Create a wide base, hold your ground, secure the ball and dribble once, spin back into an unblockable right-handed jump hook.

“It became my thing, and it all came from him,” says Davis, a six-time all-star who’s now with the Lakers. “We would work it and work it. He’d push me around with these big pads and we’d drill it all day and all night until I got it right. KP is why I’m able to play so well in the paint now.”

“Kenny is the backbone,” adds Warriors center Willie Cauley-Stein. “He keeps that shyt tight.”

Hell, even the guards love him.

“He’s a hidden gem in Kentucky basketball,” says Suns star Devin Booker. “When people talk about the program, maybe you don’t hear about KP. But if you know, you know.”

Such universal love from his former players says a lot about just how valuable Payne is to Kentucky, but it also raises questions for both the program and its prized assistant: How much longer can the Wildcats keep him? What happens to Kentucky when he’s gone? And why hasn’t another high-level program made him a head coach?

Payne is hesitant, his finger lingering over the button, as he stands just off-court at Kentucky’s practice facility on a summer evening. He winces, as if feeling the victim’s pain before he inflicts it.

“Are you in shape?”

“How are your knees?”

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

The visitor nods. He’s here this night to see what all the fuss is about, why five-star recruits flock to this gym to be molded by Payne’s famous workouts and why millionaire alumni return for tune-ups even years after they’ve become NBA stars. Big Henry, the mechanical monster lurking in a corner just off the court, holds some of those answers. It is legendary: a super-sized treadmill that Payne has given a human name so it can take on a life of its own.

“Ohhhhhhh, God, yes,” says Davis, the first pick in the 2012 NBA Draft. “I remember Big Henry. Gruesome. Very gruesome.”

Henry damn near killed James Young a couple of summers ago when the 2014 first-rounder came to Lexington looking to rejuvenate his career. Young lasted 20 minutes before his eyes rolled back in his head and Henry spit him 10 feet off the back of the conveyor belt, witnesses say.

Julius Randle, a five-year NBA veteran who just signed a $63 million contract with the Knicks, called his mother recently to brag he had finally completed Payne’s treadmill workout. He first tried in the summer of 2013.

Payne makes it sound simple enough: two-minute jog, one-minute sprint, repeat. Only, his jog is most people’s sprint: 8 mph. His sprint is most people’s run for their life: 11 mph. And there is no walking. Just this rigorous rotation of fast and faster, over and over, for … wait, how long does this go on?

“Forty-five minutes and then we start the basketball workout,” Payne says, his wince turning to a devilish grin.

Flashback to 2012, when a new prospect, and project, lands in Lexington. Willie Cauley-Stein, a 7-footer from Kansas who likes art and fashion, is covered head-to-toe in tattoos and only chose basketball from a long list of sports he played in high school because, well, people thought he might make some money at it one day. He’s ranked the 43rd-best recruit in the country, which means he has plenty of potential but is far from a sure-fire lottery pick. Truth be told, he’d rather read poetry than study game tape.

Payne loves a challenge and wastes no time testing the eccentric rookie. During a preseason workout, he asks Cauley-Stein to catch a weighted medicine ball off the bounce and dunk it — 15 times. The former wide receiver snatches the ball, bounds off the floor and jams over and over with ease. He is pleased with himself. Payne asks for 10 more. Then 10 more. No problem. “I can do anything,” Cauley-Stein recalls thinking. But Payne is not done. “Now give me 60.”

The towering and now teetering freshman realizes this is a test and resolves himself not to give up. So he dunks that medicine ball, fast and furious at first and then slower and softer as he reaches 40 slams. He can barely drop the ball over the rim, and the gym begins to spin. He takes a knee. He vomits. And vomits some more. While he heaves, Payne stands over him and smiles.

“He could tell that I’m different and he tried to break me,” Cauley-Stein says. “I was like, Nope, not today.”

The freshman drags himself to his feet and completes the final 20 dunks.

“You can’t break me, but just the love in him trying was so different,” Cauley-Stein says. “I never really worked before that, never really had to. Kenny taught me how.”

Payne has the rare ability to be both bad cop and good. Inside the gym, he’s unmerciful. Outside, he’s Uncle Kenny.

“He is a great listener,” Calipari says. “It’s hard when you’re the head coach for players to walk in your office and sit down and BS. They seem intimidated. They shouldn’t be, but it’s one of the issues I’ve had at times: They see me bigger than I am. Sometimes they need an ear. And the guy they know cares, they know is there for them, that’ll tell them the truth, is Kenny Payne. He’s been vital for these players. Vital.”

PJ Washington has returned to Lexington this summer hoping to shake off a little rust. He sprained his foot in the 2019 SEC tournament, sat out Kentucky’s first two NCAA Tournament games and delivered two epic performances on a still-bum wheel in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. But after the tournament, he shut it down again so the injury could completely heal.

By July, the first-round pick of the Hornets still isn’t medically cleared for running, but that doesn’t stop Payne from pushing the pace during a relentless 60-minute shooting session. Payne spends a good portion of the workout ignoring the flight of the ball, instead watching Washington’s feet, shoulders and right elbow, correcting every little mistake. He is also trying to exhaust him.

“I know you can come in here fresh to death,” Payne says. “I want to know what you can do totally fatigued. The NBA wants to see what you’re willing to do that no one else will.”

Washington has put up hundreds of shots, nonstop, from all over the floor, with Payne standing right beside him barking orders. Sometimes a student manager waves a tall, padded pole in Washington’s face. His gray T-shirt has turned several shades darker and could probably fill a water bottle if wrung out. He believes he is finished.

Payne looks like a man at home out on the practice floor, connected to this place, these players and those pros who return. For now, he loves them too much to leave them.

“OK,” Payne says, “Twenty more.”

“Twenty more makes?” Washington asks incredulously.

Payne nods and grins.

“Fuuuuuuuuck,” Washington groans.

“Welcome back,” Payne says with a familiar deep belly laugh. “Welcome to Kentucky.”

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another highly recognized name joins the team's staff. This is a long piece that profiles his whole career, I'm cutting some decent sized excerpts that include workout descriptions for yall.

This what we need . So far all of Roses moves make me see he is looking to focus on development and player growth and making the team tougher

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Yeah, but KP wanted out. So the Knicks had no leverage.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, but KP wanted out. So the Knicks had no leverage.

It didn’t go public that he wanted out. Regardless what they got back for him was pathetic.

DSJ and 2 late first first round picks should be enough at best get you back maybe a bench player not KP

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It didn’t go public that he wanted out. Regardless what they got back for him was pathetic.

DSJ and 2 late first first round picks should be enough at best get you back maybe a bench player not KP
It would have gotten out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.