Oldheads....Lets talk about 50's 90s-2002 run

igottabaldhead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Tri State Area
im a young dude (20) who got put on when in da club came out. (I was like 6) (Im a g-unit stan btw lol)

I wanna know, how buzzin was 50/g-unit before get rich or die tryin and linking with dre and em?

did this song get any play on NY radio?? I can easily see it being a classic up there with "Still not a player" and such. I know Power of the dollar was unreleased, but how big was his buzz at that point??

Then, how big was 50s buzz after getting shot and during the 50 Cent is the future, Gods Plan, No Mercy No Fear mixtape run?? Were they nationally known, or only NY dudes knew about G-Unit??? If you could give a modern equivalent in terms of buzz, who would ya say??

bless up, love learning these older backstories that i wasnt old enough for.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
can you go a lil more in depth if you dont mind breh? Was it seen as a funny track, threatening, etc? Was it played on radio alot, alot of comments on it by djs? Thanks breh

i love history
it was a funny track...but for some reason some rappers took offense.

50's buzz was crazy pre GRODT.
I wasnt even fukin w/ the Unit at that point...but its something you cant deny.
Probably the most hype movement ive ever seen.

It was impossible for Murder Inc to survive it

igottabaldhead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Tri State Area
it was a funny track...but for some reason some rappers took offense.

50's buzz was crazy pre GRODT.
I wasnt even fukin w/ the Unit at that point...but its something you cant deny.
Probably the most hype movement ive ever seen.

It was impossible for Murder Inc to survive it

man.... i highkey wish i could be in new york circa this time period bruh

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
man.... i highkey wish i could be in new york circa this time period bruh

99. How To Rob created a buzz....we thought it was comedy. It was big talk in nyc hip hop for a minute. Didnt really think he'd go further but 'Lifes On The Line' and 'Rowdy Rowdy' made us look at him serious.

2000 he's underground doing the mixtape thing but right before he got shot he started doing the Jay Z flow here and there. U had Sacario and Bathgate so there was a Jay Z biting phase and I kinda disregarded him for doing that Jay Z flow shyt...this song for example sounds like that Vol 2 flow

There was all this talk about Power Of The Dollar being bootlegged in the streets.

2001...He's still underground but wasnt doing the Jay Z flow anymore. I was rooting for him because I didnt like how they tried to kill him. Kay Slay and Whoo Kid are pushing 50 heavy. I'm in the army and I play this song right here cuz it was on a Whoo Kid mixtape i copped while visiting nyc and these Texas boys started reciting the hook...I was like :ohhh: cuz I didnt know anyone outside of nyc was fukking with 50 like that

2002: 50 is hyped us a being that next one...Kay Slay and Whoo kid is promoting him heavy. 50 shyt Ya was real big in the streets early 2002.

Summer 2002 the hype is real and his mixtapes are the hottest items in the streets with Dipset mixtapes being the 2nd hottest items. 50 was known for rhyming over other peoples beats and redoing their songs.

One of the most talked about songs around this time was Ghetto Quran due to the contraversy

Wanksta drops then Em signs him and it all took off from there. It was at this point that the beef with Murder Inc was still in Murder Incs favor..50 wouldnt get the juice to really compete with them till next year. Everyone knew 50 had next.....after him it was supposed to be Graph and after Graph it was supposed to be Saigon.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
99. How To Rob created a buzz....we thought it was comedy. It was big talk in nyc hip hop for a minute. Didnt really think he'd go further but 'Lifes On The Line' and 'Rowdy Rowdy' made us look at him serious.

2000 he's underground doing the mixtape thing but right before he got shot he started doing the Jay Z flow here and there. U had Sacario and Bathgate so there was a Jay Z biting phase and I kinda disregarded him for doing that Jay Z flow shyt...this song for example sounds like that Vol 2 flow

There was all this talk about Power Of The Dollar being bootlegged in the streets.

2001...He's still underground but wasnt doing the Jay Z flow anymore. I was rooting for him because I didnt like how they tried to kill him. Kay Slay and Whoo Kid are pushing 50 heavy. I'm in the army and I play this song right here cuz it was on a Whoo Kid mixtape i copped while visiting nyc and these Texas boys started reciting the hook...I was like :ohhh: cuz I didnt know anyone outside of nyc was fukking with 50 like that

2002: 50 is hyped us a being that next one...Kay Slay and Whoo kid is promoting him heavy. 50 shyt Ya was real big in the streets early 2002.

Summer 2002 the hype is real and his mixtapes are the hottest items in the streets with Dipset mixtapes being the 2nd hottest items. 50 was known for rhyming over other peoples beats and redoing their songs.

One of the most talked about songs around this time was Ghetto Quran due to the contraversy

Wanksta drops then Em signs him and it all took off from there. It was at this point that the beef with Murder Inc was still in Murder Incs favor..50 wouldnt get the juice to really compete with them till next year. Everyone knew 50 had next.....after him it was supposed to be Graph and after Graph it was supposed to be Saigon.

Coulda swore Red Cafe was getting pushed heavy.

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
I remember when people pre ordered the album they got a G-Unit/Gucci keychain thingy...shyt was dope.

This was the first time I heard 50

AJaRuleStan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Killa Queens
His actual music had no buzz. The singles he put out prior to getting shot like Rowdy Rowdy was ignored. The only appeal 50 had during his early years was with his naming names gimmick which he himself said in interviews was done out of desperation to garner some sort of attention for POAD, which was getting pushed back.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
When Sticky went after 50 on the song Jackin For Beats 99 he had the line. "You aint even half the man ya moms was." No one understood that line till we got to know 50 more and so later when we went back to the song it was like :ohhh: "So thats what Sticky meant."

igottabaldhead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Tri State Area

brehhh thank you! this the type of stuff i love reading. :wow:

@stomachlines where were you when 50 arrived breh? when did yall hear him down in VA

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
I remember 1st him bout him in like 02' when he dropped 50 Cent Is The Future. Me and my nikkas kept that cd in the whip and played it non stop.

Then we went back and checked out Guess Who's Back and then we checked out his Power of a Dollar album.

That No Mercy No Fear mixtape was nice too.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I got to find the source magazine reporting 50 cent getting shot. He is a relatively unknown rapper at the time.
It was a small couple sentences on it.