Oldheads, WHAT was it like when 'Rebel without a Pause' dropped?

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
:wow:

Were the streets lit? To me that had to of been the hardest rap song that was released up until that point.

Was Public Enemy universally loved on all coasts

Did radio never play Public Enemy?

("radiooo !!!
suckas Neva play me " )

shyt mos def one of the hardest beats ever in music history.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
OP

Took a while for people to really dig P.E. Dudes with cars and systems loved PE because their music REALLY banged, but to younger kids and others it sounded like noise. Bring the Noise song is what made us gravitate to them.

*NOBODY bought their first album.,The street response to Rebel and Public Enemy #1, and overseas crowds loving them is probably what kept them from getting dropped

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Rebel without a Pause saved PE they were done without that song (at least in the states UK loved them)

Mr. Magic dissed the shyt outta them :mjlol:let me post that classic radio version

The production was ahead of its time but Hip-Hop advanced so fast back then
Chuck came out kicking the freshest raps of 1982 :russ:

"Get a job like your mother, I heard she fixes old dryers" :beli:

and sounded like a damn dinosaur by 1987

"No more music by the suckas" :deadmanny:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Rebel Without A Pause was kind of a cult hit, most people found it annoying at the time. But they had their supporters, they got late night mix show radio play never during the day their first album. Not until the singles Bring the Noise, Don't Believe the Hype and Night of the Living Baseheads did they get steady radio play and blew up generally with everyone.
Also, Hip Hop was just flooded with dope shyt. I was late to PE because there was other shyt to listen to just as good.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Rebel without a Pause saved PE they were done without that song (at least in the states UK loved them)

Mr. Magic dissed the shyt outta them :mjlol:let me post that classic radio version

The production was ahead of its time but Hip-Hop advanced so fast back then
Chuck came out kicking the freshest raps of 1982 :russ:

"Get a job like your mother, I heard she fixes old dryers" :beli:

and sounded like a damn dinosaur by 1987

"No more music by the suckas" :deadmanny:

PE number 1 was dope to me. The production definitely helped Chuck but I liked his rhymes. Now if Curtis Blow did all that da ha ha ha shyt on it I might’ve thought differently.

I just remembered the PE video being an event! Man I was a little dude but I loved their style and always wanted to Flav clock so I made my own:russ: Rebel still knocks in the car today though. Love that song and album

Last edited:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
OP

Took a while for people to really dig P.E. Dudes with cars and systems loved PE because their music REALLY banged, but to younger kids and others it sounded like noise. Bring the Noise song is what made us gravitate to them.

*NOBODY bought their first album.,The street response to Rebel and Public Enemy #1, and overseas crowds loving them is probably what kept them from getting dropped
Their first album went gold and I had it here in the south from a small ass city. They were definitely known after the first album. The only problem is that it was under promoted. And as chuck stated, it was supposed to be released in 86, but due to the success of the Beastie Boys, Def Jam pushed back the release to early 87. I personally didn't buy this cassette, my cousin gave it to me when he introduced me to them in 87. He let me borror the cassette(beige tape) and I listened to it so much, he allowed me to keep it. Then Nation of millions dropped, then Fear of a black planet. They never played them on mainstream radio that I heard. The first song that I remember females(they basically control music) loving was "911 is a joke". My female cousins knew the words to it, and it was on the radio when they'd actually play hip hop one hour a day or Friday and Saturdays. I personally hated that song, but it was nominated for a Soul Train award. When that controversy hit in 89 with Griff talking about the european jew, white folks trying to cancel PE actually made them even more popular along with the release of Do the right Thing.

I can remember hearing Rebel without a Pause for the first time. A friend of mine had the tape in his walkman in the library at middle school. Craig had the tape with me and Antonio sitting a table with him and he played it. I still remember where we were sitting at during that time. The memoires :to:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Their first album went gold and I had it here in the south from a small ass city. They were definitely known after the first album. The only problem is that it was under promoted. And as chuck stated, it was supposed to be released in 86, but due to the success of the Beastie Boys, Def Jam pushed back the release to early 87. I personally didn't buy this cassette, my cousin gave it to me when he introduced me to them in 87. He let me borror the cassette(beige tape) and I listened to it so much, he allowed me to keep it. Then Nation of millions dropped, then Fear of a black planet. They never played them on mainstream radio that I heard. The first song that I remember females(they basically control music) loving was "911 is a joke". My female cousins knew the words to it, and it was on the radio when they'd actually play hip hop one hour a day or Friday and Saturdays. I personally hated that song, but it was nominated for a Soul Train award. When that controversy hit in 89 with Griff talking about the european jew, white folks trying to cancel PE actually made them even more popular along with the release of Do the right Thing.

I can remember hearing Rebel without a Pause for the first time. A friend of mine had the tape in his walkman in the library at middle school. Craig had the tape with me and Antonio sitting a table with him and he played it. I still remember where we were sitting at during that time. The memoires :to:

this

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Yeah they might not have blown up off their first album but they got play. My Uzi Weighs a Ton got mix show play. I loved that song.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

Dope post! I completely missed the first album back then.. I think this was the first video I’d ever seen from PE

It was on when I saw this video here. Still one thing I remember from my childhood. I knew they were going to do damage though cause this shyt was so dope. That album was so dope too. I had a cousin that let me hear it and I was hooked. I’m from the south as well and that was back when we had to dig for hiphop. It wasn’t easily accessible like is is now.

Deoji

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Zone 6 via PG County
I went to VA Beach that year and that shyt was coming out of every vehicle. I will never forget that shyt. VA Beach was packed! Al B Sure rolled through the strip in traffic and bytches were hopping outta their cars lol. The repetitive horn loop was risky but the Bomb Squad did what they had to do.