olive oil prices to go up soon

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
The world's olive crop is predicted to be drastically smaller this year.
Good thing butter is cool again because there may soon be a shortage of extra virgin olive oil. According to a press release, harvest reports from the "major olive growing areas around the world" show that there will be a significantly smaller crop this year. All-in-all this year's harvest — around 2.56 million tons — appears to be nearly 20 percent lower than years past, and far below the 3 million tons consumed last year.
Experts predict that the production of extra virgin olive oil will drop "sharply" this year and that the prices for "top quality oil" will increase. The Telegraphnotes that many believe "suppliers are holding back supplies to profit from soaring prices." During these desperate times of olive oil depletion, there will likely be some degree of cheating: A recent study showed that 69 percent of oil tested did not meet "internationally accepted standards" — meaning the olive oil was mixed with other, cheaper oils — and that statistic was measured when there wasn't a shortage.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...e-oil-shortage-of-2014-is-imminent/ar-BB9DZ90

So, I hate butter and cook with olive oil or canola oil. Price increase is not gonna be good. I should horde... I mean stock up now.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
no-god-please-no-nooo-o.gif

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
I pretty much stopped buying and adding oil to my food after I bought a bottle of olive oil then read the label that said it was up to 65% olive oil. I then found out that the olive oil industry is full of fraud. The olives may not be grown in the country that is advertised. The oil can be rancid. Some expensive oils use low quality olives, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I eat fat that comes in the food either naturally or processed, but I don't add it myself.

tater

Superstar
Daps
The food industry in America is a joke. I tasted some quality olive oil and was like :ahh:

What have I been eating all these years?! :mindblown: