I blew cool from AC, aye
Obama just paged me, aye
I don't fabricate it, aye
Most of ya'll be fakin, aye
I stay modest bout it, aye
She elaborate it, aye
This that Grey Poupon, that Evian, that Ted Talk, aye
Watch my soul speak, you let the meds talk, aye

^^^^ If any "mumble rapper" would've rapped these watered down lyrics, threads would've been made discussing the lack of lyrical content and how basic the bars were:sas1:

Because it's Kendrick, they give him a pass:sas2:
Of course. These fukk boys loved to be conned.
They're so comfortable in their deluisions

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Prior to this last album, I didn't see Kendrick attempting to cross over with his own music. And of course rappers can be pop, look at drake, Flo Rida, pitbull.
And collaborating with a pop artist doesn't make you a pop artist the same way that collaborating with Ronald Isley didn't make Kendrick a soul singer.

This I agree with. Damn. was an album where Kendrick deliberately tried to appeal to the broader hip hop audience and even pop with the singing. The U2 feature wasn't pop at all. If you didn't know who U2 was you didn't know they were even on that record.
I must have missed the dancehall chant and is the drake style formula record a reference to the singing?
But why is pop only relegated to party anthem rappers like Pitbull and genre binding rappers like Drake? If you sell millions of albums, have top 5 hits, are on the cover of Rolling Stone, and collaborate with the artists that Kendrick collaborates with you are in that pop sphere. He is one of the biggest stars in music. It's not a bad thing. Again, hip-hop is popular culture at this point.

Kendrick actually tried on his last album. His lead single "i" was a deliberate bite of Pharell's Happy. It was the official song for the NBA and was in various movie soundtracks and was clearly catered for top 40.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
Truthfully i think hiphop officially became pop music in general when kanye and the likes of him became the face of mainstream rap..hiphop lost its edge and became safer

Ye,Kendrick,drake and jcole are all safe nikkas

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
This shyt way too crazy, aye
You do not amaze me, aye
I blew cool from AC, aye
Obama just paged me, aye
I don't fabricate it, aye
Most of ya'll be fakin, aye
I stay modest bout it, aye
She elaborate it, aye
This that Grey Poupon, that Evian, that Ted Talk, aye
Watch my soul speak, you let the meds talk, aye

^^^^ If any "mumble rapper" would've rapped these watered down lyrics, threads would've been made discussing the lack of lyrical content and how basic the bars were:sas1:

Because it's Kendrick, they give him a pass:sas2:
Dap+Rep

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Katy perry makes pop music

Kendrick makes Hip-POP music

Both of them are pop artists(due to popularity).

He's increasingly becoming the safe haven for culture vultures & backpackers who wanna seem like they are "real hip-hop heads":sas2:

Fact is, Kendrick says a lot......of nothing:yeshrug:

He just doesn't make club cuts or songs for the hood bars, so they think he's deep. But he's not. His lyrics aren't all that at all, which is why there isn't even 1 classic verse on his latest album:hubie:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
But why is pop only relegated to party anthem rappers like Pitbull and genre binding rappers like Drake? If you sell millions of albums, have top 5 hits, are on the cover of Rolling Stone, and collaborate with the artists that Kendrick collaborates with you are in that pop sphere. He is one of the biggest stars in music. It's not a bad thing. Again, hip-hop is popular culture at this point.

Kendrick actually tried on his last album. His lead single "i" was a deliberate bite of Pharell's Happy. It was the official song for the NBA and was in various movie soundtracks and was clearly catered for top 40.
Exactly

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
"One Dance" is pop the same way No Doubt's "Hey Baby" is...they are both popular songs that involve Dancehall.

"Humble" is pop as well. Pop isnt a sound, its a category for widespread music. You cant create a pop song. It has to become one. There are plenty of songs that sound like Rihanna, Justin Timberlake...etc. but only have 100 plays on soundcloud. They are not pop songs.

It was the Bubblegum era of Max Martin that gave Boy Bands a "bubblegum sound" that people confuse with pop nowadays. Before that, the song just had to be popular.

true. but 99% of pop music is bubblegum in some way or the other. It's rare that something in the pop category isn't bubblegum or some watered down version of a credible genre.

If you look at the history of pop music, it started off as "a category of widespread music". Essentially, whatever was popular was pop. But of course, it morphed into its own genre because business began to notice certain formulas/trends that went with most popular music. Which is why pop now is mostly safe, formulaic and trendy. Over decades, it has morphed into a sound of its own. Not a genre-specific sound (e.g. pop will not always sound like watered down rock), but an emotionally-specific sound (watered down version of whatever genre's hot or novelty)

Pop Music is a format/formula. It's not necessarily a musical genre. It's why a song like "Black Beatles" and "Bad Boujee" are as huge as they are.

Going 4X platinum doesn't make you Pop. What makes it Pop is the format/formula of the song. Technically, one couldn't really label "One Dance" a Pop song either going by your logic, because that song belongs to a different genre altogether.

This is @hex as usual playing fukking dumb, which is pathetic for a dude his age. Forcing a credible act like Wu into the convo as a means of sheltering Ducktales. Instead of being honest and saying
a) It was a double album, so Wu really went 2x platinum if we keep it real
b) 4x plat sounds pop until you realize that people actually bought music in 1997, and that actual pop was selling more. Spice Girls went 7x plat off a one cd (10 songs). Totally different ball game.

shyt... one of the highest selling albums of 1997 was released in 1996. Celion Dion going 11x plat.

Subject matter doesn't disqualify a song from being a Pop song though.

in fact, it pretty much never has.

but of course, playing dumb is a Booth pasttime.

Truthfully i think hiphop officially became pop music in general when kanye and the likes of him became the face of mainstream rap..hiphop lost its edge and became safer

Ye,Kendrick,drake and jcole are all safe nikkas

truth. but your post will be ignored :salute:

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
true. but 99% of pop music is bubblegum in some way or the other. It's rare that something in the pop category isn't bubblegum or some watered down version of a credible genre.

Cosign, we saying the same thing just with different wording.

it has to be watered down to be easily digestible by everybody

"Sit Down, Be Humble" is very easily digestible on every level = pop

moreso than "If These Walls Could Talk" & "Swimming Pools" which have different/deeper meanings than the titles suggest, making them harder to be taken in away from the beats/melody.

The last quotable Kendrick had before Humble was "bytch, I know you love this dikk"...ladies and gentleman this is your so called new 2pac. :snoop:

If you look at the history of pop music, it started off as "a category of widespread music". Essentially, whatever was popular was pop. But of course, it morphed into its own genre because business began to notice certain formulas/trends that went with most popular music. Which is why pop now is mostly safe, formulaic and trendy. Over decades, it has morphed into a sound of its own. Not a genre-specific sound (e.g. pop will not always sound like watered down rock), but an emotionally-specific sound (watered down version of whatever genre's hot or novelty)

cosign. Yes, it somewhat morphed into its own genre because creatives started taking notice of the characteristics of songs that were going pop and started applying the formula to the recording process. Either ways you are 100% correct.

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
This is @hex as usual playing fukking dumb, which is pathetic for a dude his age. Forcing a credible act like Wu into the convo as a means of sheltering Ducktales. Instead of being honest and saying
a) It was a double album, so Wu really went 2x platinum if we keep it real
b) 4x plat sounds pop until you realize that people actually bought music in 1997, and that actual pop was selling more. Spice Girls went 7x plat off a one cd (10 songs). Totally different ball game.

shyt... one of the highest selling albums of 1997 was released in 1996. Celion Dion going 11x plat.

BREHHHHH

IF THIS ISNT LEGENDARY POSTING IDK WHAT IS!!!

FAXXXXXXXXX

in fact, it pretty much never has.

but of course, playing dumb is a Booth pasttime.

FAAXXXXXX

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps

FAXXX

that whole roll out had Katy Perry, Adele, Drake, Black Eyed Peas...etc. written all over it.

K dot stans will act like all that happened just cuz of how great the song was :stopitslime:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
One Dance and Controlla are dancehall and Afrobeats records. Hotline Bling is R&B.
Are they accepted as such by artists making 100% authentic dancehall, Afrobeats and R&B?
Humble is a pop rap record it is popular it is the number one song in the country, Sit Down Be Humble is hashtagged by the masses on social media, Kendrick went to a Southern trap producer Mike WiLL Made It known for producing top 40 singles who works with everyone from trap stars to Miley Cyrus, Kendrick used Lil Uzi's flow which is the popular flow of the moment in hip-hop.
Are all of Mike Will Made Its' beats pop?
The Humble beat doesn't even sound like a trap beat to me.
If its not a trap record, is it a watered down version of some other production style? If so, what makes it watered down?
Using a popular flow doesn't make a song pop, unless you think Notorious Thugs was a pop song. Besides, that kind of stuff is more an appeal to what's mainstream within hip hop. Not beyond hip hop. 40 year old soccer moms aren't gonna hear Humble on the radio and make that connection.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nobody would label The LOX as "pop" and they were making songs with pop star Mariah Carey:

When they weren't Grindin', the Clipse were laying down vocals with Justin Timberlake:

Nobody would label them "pop" either.

Kendrick Lamar is NOT pop just because he's been featured on a couple pop records.

Kendrick Lamar is hiphop.

Kendrick is pop...hiphop is pop. Pop = popular...it's not a specific genre.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
It isn't a genre, pop is a sphere of music that encompasses popular music that's why "pop" stars can come in any genre.
I agree that it isn't a specific genre. I'm saying that its a watered down version of one or multiple genres.
Why does pop music have to be watered down? Why does it have to be bad? You saying the G.O.A.T. and king of pop Michael Jackson made watered down music?
Watered Down isn't necessarily a bad thing, although it typically is, but you've raised the exception to the rule. Of course Michael Jackson was making watered down music to appeal to as large an audience as possible. He wanted Thriller to be a greatest hits album with all different styles of songs. Just turned out to be a masterpiece in his and Quincy's hands. :wow:

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
this argument tends to happen when people dont understand what pop music is

From wikipedia:

The terms "popular music" and "pop music" are often used interchangeably, although the former describes all music that is popular and includes many styles. "Pop" and "rock" were synonymous terms until the late 1960s, when they were increasingly used in opposition from each other.

kendrick lamar is popular music