Opal Lee, the 'Grandmother of Junetheenth receives an honorary doctorate at her alma maters: Wiley College and the University of North Texas

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
Ron DeSantis gonna kick off his white nationalist movement presidential campaign next month by condemning the celebration of this "woke" holiday that Joe Biden and the left "forced" on Americans and our children. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if he kicks it off by signing a law straight up banning it

And you still gonna have c00ns here claiming we only vote Democrat because we're told to or some other shyt.

Quote me.

It's more important than ever we must not take shyt for granted and defend our history and legacy in the world from cacs.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Ron DeSantis gonna kick off his white nationalist movement presidential campaign next month by condemning the celebration of this "woke" holiday that Joe Biden and the left "forced" on Americans and our children. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if he kicks it off by signing a law straight up banning it

And you still gonna have c00ns here claiming we only vote Democrat because we're told to or some other shyt.

Quote me.
breh what are you talking about? Opal Lee lives in Texas, not Florida and the honorary degrees are from SCHOOLS... not the democratic or republican party :what:

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
breh what are you talking about? Opal Lee lives in Texas, not Florida and the honorary degrees are from SCHOOLS... not the democratic or republican party :what:
I'm talking about the threat to black history going on in this country right now.

The guy plans to announce his campaign possibly next month. Just in time to kick things off by disparaging this woman's honor and condemn Juneteeth as a woke liberal holiday. I can't see him missing the opportunity especially since it is his largest message and it was the Biden administration that signed it into law. Perfect opportunity to bytch about "woke."

Just saying in light of this honor we can't take for granted her acconplishment. It's under attack as we speak.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I'm talking about the threat to black history going on in this country right now.

The guy plans to announce his campaign possibly next month. Just in time to kick things off by disparaging this woman's honor and condemn Juneteeth as a woke liberal holiday. I can't see him missing the opportunity especially since it is his largest message and it was the Biden administration that signed it into law. Perfect opportunity to bytch about "woke."

Just saying in light of this honor we can't take for granted her acconplishment. It's under attack as we speak.
okay, well this thread is about her. we don't need a white sucking up all the air the room yet again.

Alan Johnson

Breakfast for dinner.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
A racist mob destroyed her home. She was given the land 84 years later.

Before she would be known as the “grandmother of Juneteenth,” the day meant something different to Opal Lee, when she and her family fled their home in darkness in hope of surviving the racist mob that had come for them.

Police stood by as the White mob wielding baseball bats gathered outside for a raid on June 19, 1939, and forced Lee, then 12, and her family from the Fort Worth home they had just moved into the day before — breaking the windows with stones, smashing the furniture, burning their belongings. The event was traumatic for Lee, now a 97-year-old civil rights activist known for her tireless efforts to turn Juneteenth, the day commemorating Black freedom from slavery, into a national holiday.

“The fact that it happened on the 19th day of June has spurred me to make people understand that Juneteenth is not just a festival,” she told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 2021.

Now, more than 84 years after the racist mob forced her from her home, Lee has been given back the land where her house once stood. And Trinity Habitat for Humanity has gone one step further: A house is being built for Lee and expected to be completed sometime in 2024.