Oprah Sells Majority Stake In OWN To Discovery For $70 Million

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
The media mogul previously had a 50-50 joint venture with the cable giant.
5a26ee6f190000492c034ad1.jpeg

Oprah Winfrey is selling an additional 24.5 percent of her network OWN to Discovery Communications.

Oprah Winfrey is selling a majority interest in her network OWN to Discovery Communications for $70 million, the Los Angeles Times reports.

OWN had been a 50-50 joint venture between Winfrey and Discovery until the deal, which was announced Monday. The cable giant is acquiring an additional 24.5 percent.

Winfrey will continue to serve as chief executive of OWN, which launched in 2011, through 2025. This is the first time Oprah has sold stock in OWN since its founding.

“Creating OWN and seeing it flourish, supported by Discovery and a rapidly growing group of the finest storytellers in film and television, is one of my proudest achievements,” Winfrey said in a statement, according to the LA Times. “I’m thrilled with the network’s success and excited about this next chapter in our partnership.”

Discovery Chief Executive David Zaslav also released a statement on the purchase.

“This transaction allows Discovery and Oprah to unlock more value from our partnership; extends once more her commitment to the network; and lets us continue our strong work together to nourish OWN viewers with the content they love,” he said.

OWN is home to popular shows like “Greenleaf,” Ava DuVernay’s “Queen Sugar” and Tyler Perry’s “The Haves And The Have Nots.” Despite some ratings issues early on, OWN has become one of the leading networks for black viewers. (Note: When they first launched the network and tried to cater to non-Blacks before restructuring and Tyler Perry. :leostare: And she knows that Black folks bring in ratings, especially when disproportionately unemployed and on the couch. Now she only owns 25%; is she money poor or maybe looking into streaming? Wonder how much that Heinz check for her new comfort food line ? :patrice:)

Zone4InYoDoe

Rookie
Daps
The real money is over at Netflix...until that collapses. People legit are forgetting to "tune-in" to TV shows nowadays thanks to streaming and on-demand cable.

A network is a dying business model. I ain't mad at her though, $70M ain't shyt to sneeze at. However I will say, she should have launched OWN by the late 90s.

It would be AMC or F/x level by now. She missed the boat. JMO.

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
This is what is wrong. Oprah needs to keep control of the content & set an example for future generations. Black media is non existent because we sell our outlets instead of passing it down.

CocoaPony

Rookie
Daps
She’s probably tired and over it. If it’s not the money maker she thought it would be I don’t see anything wrong with unloading it and moving on.

Daps
Seventy-mil for a majority stake?

Damn.

Oh, well. She gave it her best, I'm sure.

Would prefer she keep it it, but that shyt has apparently be far more work than its worth. I hope she's not letting it go before she fail like it stains her legacy to be associated with a fledgling network.

Come on, Oprah.

Daps
This reminds me of a conversation I was having yesterday. Friend says, "dang I was in the shower and forgot a hot freestyle I came up with. I bet rappers have waterproof mics for situations like this" I thought about it and was like, "if you're a good rapper I don't think you care if you forget one...because another one is coming"

I don't think this is a big deal. It's not going to stop her from doing more mogul stuff and inspiring more people. That greatness is in her blood, not tied to any venture. People need to take her examples and run with it on their own and do their own thing. She can do what she wants. Lol, like imagine someone trying to tell OPRAH she messed up. :mjlol: