Our Issues/Our Solutions Thread

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
The purpose of this thread is for us to discuss our problems whether large or small, near or far and viable solutions and actions to these issues/problems.

I encourage debate and constructive criticism; however I would hope we can leave the bickering and insults for other areas of the Forum where that behavior is encouraged. Whomever provides the issue for discussion and or the resolution for the issue should walk away from the thread knowledgeable.

Ill kick off the thread with an issue of my own and hopefully I can get some insight from people on here and others willing to share their own issues.

Without being too specific or cumbersome, I recently became a board member of my local community civic. My community is largely Black, accounting for 60% of the population. When we hold board meetings within our local to discuss issues in the area, specifically the black side of town, only the older members of the community attend. How can I reach out to the youth of the community to get them to attend and bring awareness of these issues to them.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The purpose of this thread is for us to discuss our problems whether large or small, near or far and viable solutions and actions to these issues/problems.

I encourage debate and constructive criticism; however I would hope we can leave the bickering and insults for other areas of the Forum where that behavior is encouraged. Whomever provides the issue for discussion and or the resolution for the issue should walk away from the thread knowledgeable.

Ill kick off the thread with an issue of my own and hopefully I can get some insight from people on here and others willing to share their own issues.

Without being too specific or cumbersome, I recently became a board member of my local community civic. My community is largely Black, accounting for 60% of the population. When we hold board meetings within our local to discuss issues in the area, specifically the black side of town, only the older members of the community attend. How can I reach out to the youth of the community to get them to attend and bring awareness of these issues to them.
Where do the youth 15-18 and the young adults 19-25 hang out at? What are their preferable spaces?

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Can you give a quick outline of some of the most prevalent issues so I could better form a solution?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

If you want to reach the youth, you gotta go to where they're at and reach them. What issues do they care about?

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Where do the youth 15-18 and the young adults 19-25 hang out at? What are their preferable spaces?

For the youth, id say playing video games or watching shyt on you tube. I rarely see many of them in the parks. For the young adults, they all leave the area and go to Ft. Greene or Williamsburg where there are bars and nightlife action

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lack of Jobs/Economic Opportunity
Littering/Basic upkeep of homes and properties
Lack of business diversity

Start a program where you would train teens on how to do these basic upkeeps and give them micro loans to fun small neighborhood businesses that provide that service. People pay a certain fee a month to have their home maintained and streets cleaned. That would solve that problem and also provide some jobs and some economy. Through that program have them trained on how to start and which types of businesses they should target.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Start a program where you would train teens on how to do these basic upkeeps and give them micro loans to fun small neighborhood businesses that provide that service. People pay a certain fee a month to have their home maintained and streets cleaned. That would solve that problem and also provide some jobs and some economy. Through that program have them trained on how to start and which types of businesses they should target.

Respect. I like that idea. Rather than having others from the outside come in, have the youth themselves do it.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
For the youth, id say playing video games or watching shyt on you tube. I rarely see many of them in the parks. For the young adults, they all leave the area and go to Ft. Greene or Williamsburg where there are bars and nightlife action
We had the same problem where I'm at. We started having events at the spots where the young people were and we asked them to participate; we had events at clubs, at bars, at the park, etc. Let them be apart of creating the event and agenda and ask them tons of questions. Most younger Black people legit feel as though people don't care about them (they've told me this countless times). You gotta make the stuff inviting for them

Daps
Much respect to the OP for this one as well as those who have contributed very insightful responses.

Getting the youth engaged in communal activities seems to be an issue in a lot of black communities. I know its one where i reside. Im not sure how the set up is there but if possible i would suggest reaching out as much as possible to the youth who have an interest in the community. By giving them some "ownership" if u will they may become inclined to do more. From my experience many ppl that can act dont outta ingorance to how the pieces come together. If you can engage a few of the youth with similar interests, perhaps they can provide the insight to reaching their peers. Especially if there is a significant age gap between u and your targeted demographic.