Reppin
Above the fray.

Panama in Black​

Afro-Caribbean World Making in the Twentieth Century​

Panama in Black

Book Pages: 280 Illustrations: 18 illustrations Published: September 2022

kaysha_corinealdi.jpg

Author: Kaysha Corinealdi

In Panama in Black, Kaysha Corinealdi traces the multigenerational activism of Afro-Caribbean Panamanians as they forged diasporic communities in Panama and the United States throughout the twentieth century.

Drawing on a rich array of sources including speeches, yearbooks, photographs, government reports, radio broadcasts, newspaper editorials, and oral histories, Corinealdi presents the Panamanian isthmus as a crucial site in the making of an Afro-diasporic world that linked cities and towns like Colón, Kingston, Panamá City, Brooklyn, Bridgetown, and La Boca.

In Panama, Afro-Caribbean Panamanians created a diasporic worldview of the Caribbean that privileged the potential of Black innovation. Corinealdi maps this innovation by examining the longest-running Black newspaper in Central America, the rise of civic associations created to counter policies that stripped Afro-Caribbean Panamanians of citizenship, the creation of scholarship-granting organizations that supported the education of Black students, and the emergence of national conferences and organizations that linked anti-imperialism and Black liberation.

By showing how Afro-Caribbean Panamanians used these methods to navigate anti-Blackness, xenophobia, and white supremacy, Corinealdi offers a new mode of understanding activism, community, and diaspora formation

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'll peep.

But I must say that saying "Panama in Black" is like saying "Nigeria in Black" or "Jamaica in Black".

Black is the default setting when we think of Panama, I believe.
????

You must be a baseball fan. Roberto Kelly is not walking through that door.Rod Carew and Mariano Rivera are not walking through that door.
Hehehrheh

*just jokes

Panama is in Central America, and its racial demographics are closer to other countries in that region than to the "Black" countries you used for comparison.

The size of the Afro-Panamanian population is directly tied to the history and events she discusses in the book.

Last edited:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
????

You must be a baseball fan. Roberto Kelly is not walking through that door.Rod Carew and Mariano Rivera are not walking through that door.
Hehehrheh

*just jokes

Panama is in Central America, and its racial demographics are closer to other countries in that region than to the "Black" countries you used for comparison.

The size of the Afro-Panamanian population is directly tied to the history and events she discusses in the book.

as a Latino in Miami every Panamanian I've met has been Black :manny:

I'll have to visit one day...

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I'll peep.

But I must say that saying "Panama in Black" is like saying "Nigeria in Black" or "Jamaica in Black".

Black is the default setting when we think of Panama, I believe.
There’s a lot of black Panamanians (anywhere from 15-40% depending on how you define it) but Panama isn’t a Black Country