Past Lives | Official Trailer HD | A24

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps

Nora and Hae Sung, two deeply connected childhood friends, are wrest apart after Nora’s family emigrates from South Korea. Two decades later, they are reunited in New York for one fateful week as they confront notions of destiny, love, and the choices that make a life, in this heartrending modern romance.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Saw this last week

will post some thoughts in a bit
well-waiting.gif

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

It's a movie that stayed with me, in terms of the theme, and some of the scenes. Quiet, somber, hits very low notes, up until the ending scene, which is still really subdued for a love story that spans 20 plus years and two countries. It's almost too soft and subdued at times, very naturalistic feel. Acting is exceptional. There's nothing overly flashy or stylish.

Very comparable in ways and probably influenced by the Before trilogy, which I love, so have some bias here. Also, love the concept at the heart of the movie, which is in yeon, a buddhist concept about past lives, loves, and connectivity, essentially. That even passing the street and touching against someone's arm has meaning, that you were connected in a past life.

Probably personal reasons, liked it a lot, for the last almost year, have randomly and improbably run into about 1-2 women a month, that are romantic interests of some kind. From people I barely know, all the way from first person I slept with, to the last, and everyone in between. So, despite that I don't really believe in any of that shyt, those kind of concepts of connected souls and past lives speaks to me, that we are all intertwined. Our hearts are still connected somehow.

last weekend, at a family party, had a convo with first girl I fell in love with, almost 20 years later, and we are so comfortable with each other, despite that we are no longer really aligned, as far as romance/love. We are still connected, which is kind of what the movie is saying. I know her, she knows me, even as much as we have grown up and changed. I can instantly remember the cigarettes she smokes.

As a movie, it is very good, but it isn't a knockout. It's not Moonlight, not Waves, it's not a movie that took my breath away. But, everyday I think about it.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
she def wanted to kiss old dude, idc what no one says. he could've absolutely kissed her right then and there while her bf was sitting in the periphery. why was bf dude even at the bar with them period, they barely talked to him. i would've been at my homeboy's house or at least invited my cute coworker that's celibate but likes to flirt.

shyt was silly on his part but believable because im sure white dudes are into that. should've just stayed home and finished playing PS5. if my girl told me about her foreign exchange friend coming over and he taller and buffer than me i would've been like "welp, its war now, so let me look in my phone and set up my getback for next year if she's still around" :martin:

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
I don’t think it was exceptional. But it is a movie that will stick with you :ehh:

That convo in the bar was excellent

JamesJabdi

Superstar
Daps
She literally cried on her Husbands shoulders about another dude :mjlol:

Clearly made by/for chicks......it is ok and i would give it 3/5. Expected it to be better because of all the hype.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Oh the cuckery. Loved this movie tho. White dude a whole bytch. Would’ve had her suitcase on the steps waiting for her.

Last edited: