"People Don't Make $140 Million Movies Starring Black And Brown People” - Chadwick Boseman

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
People Don't Make $140 Million Movies Starring Black And Brown People”: Chadwick Boseman On ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Controversy

Damage control is already beginning on the big, CGI-soaked “Gods Of Egypt,” set to open in a couple of months. The filmmakers have been called out for casting largely white players in the ancient Egypt set tale, leading to both Lionsgate and director Alex Proyas to issue apologies about the film’s lack of diversity. And now, one of the film’s stars has also addressed the controversy.

Chadwick Boseman is one of the few faces of color in the picture, and speaking with GQ, he says he took on the role precisely to add some diversity to the cast. However, while he defends participating in the movie, he critiques an industry that still has much work when it comes to inclusivity.

“I generally try to tune things like press controversy out, but some people around me told me, ‘Hey... you might wanna look at this.’ And when I originally was approached with the script, I thought this [critique] might come up, I really did. And I'm thankful that it did, because actually, I agree with it,” the actor said. “That's why I wanted to do it, so you would see someone of African descent playing Thoth, the father of mathematics, astronomy, the god of wisdom. And in the movie, I actually outnumber the other gods in the movie, literally and figuratively. It's hard for people to know that without seeing it. But yeah, people don't make $140 million movies starring black and brown people. [Shakes head.]”

And while Boseman will be leading Marvel’s “Black Panther,” set to be helmed by “Creed” director Ryan Coogler, you’d be hard pressed to name another upcoming blockbuster with a black or brown lead. And that’s exactly Boseman’s point.

“Gods Of Egypt” opens on February 25, 2016.

IndieWire

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Didn't that will smith movie with his son flop and wasn't that a higher budget movie?

Dude got a point, cacs probably got offended knowing Will had so much pull to get that type of movie produced with black leads, didn't see it outta disagreement.

smh

Edit

Mr. Smith's “After Earth,” a Sony Pictures Entertainment movie that cost$135 million to produce and roughly $100 million to market worldwide, took in an estimated $27 million from Friday to Sunday — or 18 percent less than the lowest of prerelease expectations.Jun 2, 2013

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Didn't that will smith movie with his son flop and wasn't that a higher budget movie?

Edit

Mr. Smith's “After Earth,” a Sony Pictures Entertainment movie that cost$135 million to produce and roughly $100 million to market worldwide, took in an estimated $27 million from Friday to Sunday — or 18 percent less than the lowest of prerelease expectations.Jun 2, 2013

Thing is, After Earth was the last time (that I know of) you had a majority black cast in a big budget. And that's mostly due to Will Smith. Prior to that....honestly, I can't think of one.

Crazy when you think about it.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Dude got a point, cacs probably got offended knowing Will had so much pull to get that type of movie produced with black leads, didn't see it outta disagreement.

smh

Edit

That had more to do with After Earth being some awful, shytty dystopian bullshyt.
It didn't flop because of 2 black actors

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

smh

Edit

The same white people who had supported will smith in the past and made him the biggest movie star? Perhaps they didn't watch after Earth because it looked like a stinker which it was? Not to mention smith's star had been fading even before after Earth was released.