People Who Say Rap/Black Culture Creates and Celebrates Ratchet Behavior and Violence Come here...

damn_ese

All Star
Daps
while your points are valid, i think rap/hip hop is focused on more because it affects more every day encounters, (or atleast that is the perception) kinda like a perceived notion that a "ratchet" fan of rap will steal or talk back or act rude more than let's say

a yakuza or mob member.

another thing is yakuza and mob culture doesn't really have it's own popular music genre that brags about murder, hoes and gang shyt.

just my 2 cents

Danktoker94

The Dude
Supporter
Daps
while your points are valid, i think rap/hip hop is focused on more because it affects more every day encounters, (or atleast that is the perception) kinda like a perceived notion that a "ratchet" fan of rap will steal or talk back or act rude more than let's say

a yakuza or mob member.

another thing is yakuza and mob culture doesn't really have it's own popular music genre that brags about murder, hoes and gang shyt.

just my 2 cents
Stfu bean

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue

a yakuza or mob member.

just my 2 cents
Yakuza and Triad celebrate their dysfunction through ratchet tattoos, prostitution and womanizing/whoring, and EXCESSIVE drug and alcohol abuse. Yakuza celebrate murders through various symbols, not only tattoos. Yakuza and Triads not a gang??:wow: They are 1000s of different warring gangs with drugs and hoes.

All of those things are symbolic and tied to dysfunction glorified and perpetuated by their media and popular cultural icons. This ratchet behavior is celebrated to the point that the government can't even control or punish these Yakuza/ it's all mixed in with legal honest work and these criminals are just taxed for their ratchet behavior

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue

tokyo-sanjamatsuri-2.jpg

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
Local Gang Cancels Its Halloween Celebration In Kobe, Japan | HuffPost

Tokyo: Sanja Matsuri the festival of yakuza Asakusa | japan-experience.com

Sanja Matsuri
Sanja Matsuri wakes up the Asakusa district from its touristic sleepiness, every third weekend of May. The onlookers then invade the streets of the area to watch the parade of sacred altars, mikoshi, in honor of the three founders of the Sensoji Temple.

The two Hinokuma brothers, Hanamari and Takenari, according to legend, discovered a statue of Kannon (the bodhisattva of compassion) in the Sumida River in 628. Then, with the help of the rich owner Hajino Nakatomo, who, it is said, converted them to Buddhism, they dedicated Sensoji Temple to it. The neighboring Shinto place of worship, the Asakusa Shrine was later built and dedicated to the three friends who reside there permanently, transformed into kami deities of Shinto worship.

Sunday Altars
For the occasion,they are taken from their languor and invited to take their places, symbolically, within three mikoshi that require the strength of forty men to lift them. The religious parade starts on Saturday afternoon when a hundred secondary mikoshi, all from the district, gather at Asakusa Shrine before being carried into the surrounding streets. The three main altars make their appearance on Sunday, at six o'clock in the morning, forming the climax of the festival.

Yakuza show

This monumental gathering allows segments of the population to mix together, between which the distance is rather strict the rest of the year, for example the yakuzas. Those who expose themselves in fundoshi (sumo underwear), without reserve or threat in their simplest apparel to proudly display their many tattoos that often include clothing, forever affixed on their skin. In addition to demonstrations by the yakuza, which border on the ridiculous (but do not risk laughing), Sanja Matsuri stages many craftsmen and artists performing for the occasion, including actors dressed as cranes.

Friday afternoon is dedicated to a musical parade where musicians experience the honor given to the kami and are also carried, to Sensoji Temple this time. The dancers who perform Binzasara, a prayer for the fertility of the earth, captivate the audience throughout the afternoon. The festival ends on Sunday at 8 p.m. when the kami return to their homes and daily life re-establishes itself in Asakusa, until the following year.

tokyo-sanjamatsuri-1.jpg

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps

a yakuza or mob member.

just my 2 cents

I've always been conflicted by this argument because a valid argument can be made that it really is "more than music" nowadays. I'm an old head by Coli standards and yet I always remember reality music having a message, a moral, and not just violent nihilism on wax. MC Eiht seemed to die at the end of every one of his street bangers. Cube's summer vacation ended up with one of homies dead and himself with no chance of parole or probation. Nowadays, that same message of consequences for your actions doesn't exist. I'm not seeing too many positive records to coincide along with homicide records from reality spitters either. Unfortunately that nihilistic self destructive music is far too prevalent and sad to say it's influencing vulnerable youth. Not only do they have to deal with the fukked up circumstances of lower income life, but the music only reinforces their limited ability to make wise decisions.

On the other hand though, another argument can be made about the killers during the 70's through the 80's before the music became a feature cheerleading fukkery. B's and C's during the late 70's and early 80's were some monsters. Meanwhile they rocked jeri curls, and listened to Ohio Players and Midnight Star. Nobody blamed that violence on R&B though and activator juice though. Stones and Disciples were bangin and killing each other and their own long before even Chief Keef's grandparents were born.

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
ummm worship?

I mean if people throwing their weight around with money = being worshipped to you....:yeshrug:

all this mental gymnastics to defend dysfunction. very telling

"What does throwing your weight around" mean:mjgrin:

Because catching bodies, dealing drugs, destroying innocent people and families (women and children sold into a life of prostitution against their will) is harmless since it's non-black?:usure:

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Op has a good point.

Last edited:

damn_ese

All Star
Daps
Yakuza and Triad celebrate their dysfunction through ratchet tattoos, prostitution and womanizing/whoring, and EXCESSIVE drug and alcohol abuse. Yakuza celebrate murders through various symbols, not only tattoos. Yakuza and Triads not a gang??:wow: They are 1000s of different warring gangs with drugs and hoes.

All of those things are symbolic and tied to dysfunction glorified and perpetuated by their media and popular cultural icons. This ratchet behavior is celebrated to the point that the government can't even control or punish these Yakuza/ it's all mixed in with legal honest work and these criminals are just taxed for their ratchet behavior

valid points, at the end of the day, they just criminals like any other

however . . i can't name a single yakuza member turned singer or actor that sings about or collaborates in creating music that portrays murder, hoes, drug dealing, shooting

my point is that rap and hip hop (is associated with those things i listed) real or not most people would probably agree that hip hop is synonymous with "ratchetness" or "violent" lyrics out of any other popular music out right now

im not saying its true, just that the perception is there