Person killed after being shoved in front of New York City subway in unprovoked attack

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Even a mentally ill person will behave if they know someone on the subway will blow their brains out if they are on some bullshyt.
Cops cannot patrol all stations..there is just not enough of them

no, you are acting as if a mentally ill person will act rationally when the issue is they don't. they either don't care about consequences, can't conceive of them, or believe their actions are righteous as not to warrant them. we don't need reactionary "solutions", we need preventative ones.

the nyc subway platform could be jammed packed and you think someone firing a gun there would make things safer? people would get pushed onto the tracks while try to flee gunfire and others might choose to blindly shoot as well.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
I don't know how you stop this other than allowing people to carry weapons on the subway. The cops and national guard cannot be everywhere....people are going to have to take matters into their own hands
:dahell: Just put up those plexiglass barriers that open with the train doors like they have in Asia. That costs money and doesn't involve police, so it won't happen.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
This is why I stand as far away from the tracks as possible while waiting for the train, pretty much hugging the wall.
I be seeing people right near the edge .
My big brother taught me this when I was big enough to walk around on my own. Always stand two whole squares back. Them people on the edge used to make me nervous, like, Nobody told you nikkas is crazy out here? :picard:

Old NY'ers know this, tho, so either nikkas think shyt is sweet and let down their guard or its new people.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I don't know how you stop this other than allowing people to carry weapons on the subway. The cops and national guard cannot be everywhere....people are going to have to take matters into their own hands
A fence along the tracks with doors that only open once the train stops. Seems super simple to me.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
militarization of subways will not stop unhinged maniacs from randomly doing maniacal shyt.

we need federal psychiatric institutions again
Huge proponent of this. The issue wasn't that they existed. The issue was that they were staffed by people who were underpaid, under qualified, and straight up evil in certain respects.

We need massive government subsidies for people going into medicine and care aid positions. Start a public works program that guarantees new nurses, doctors, and care aids a job in a facility making at least 4-6k a month. Putting mentally ill people on the street isn't a solution. We are housing them either way with our tax money. Whether it's jail or through group homes/shelters/subsidized apartments.

Might as well have them in a facility that feels like an apartment complex but has staff doing daily checks and administering medication.

The most stable residents can still work remotely or get jobs doing basic things like picking up garbage, cleaning public buildings, and helping out in warehouses. The less stable residents can help with keeping the facility clean.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
How is a gun going to save you from being pushed towards the track?

are you going to shoot your way out of the tracks ?

AngryBaby

All Star
Daps
9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

"If Your Only Tool Is a Hammer Then Every Problem Looks Like a Nail"

Yeah i always wondered how we were so stupid to have a blatantly open drop off like that where you could die.

Japan looks like they were smart enough to realize it could potentially be an issue. Not that hard...tf is wrong woth us? Why dont we have that lol common sense solution

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Open up mental health facilities and legally compel people to stay there if they continually show themselves to be a threat to themselves and others minding their own business.
Pretty much have to repair the massive damage Reagan and the Republicans did to the mental health system:

The Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 (MHSA) was United States legislation signed by President Jimmy Carter which provided grants to community mental health centers. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan, who had made major efforts during his Governorship to reduce funding and enlistment for California mental institutions, pushed a political effort through the Democratically controlled House of Representatives and a Republican controlled Senate to repeal most of MHSA.[1] The MHSA was considered landmark legislation in mental health care policy.

History​

Coinciding with a movement during the 1970s for rehabilitation of people with severe mental illnesses, the Mental Health Systems Act supported and financed community mental health support systems, which coordinated general health care, mental health care, and social support services.[2] The law followed the 1978 Report of the President's Commission on Mental Health, which made recommendations for improving mental health care in the United States. While some concerns existed about the methodology followed by the President's Committee, the report served as the foundation for the MHSA, which in turn was seen as landmark legislation in U.S. mental health policy.[3]

The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, passed by a Democratic-controlled House of Representatives and a Republican-controlled Senate, and signed by President Ronald Reagan on August 13, 1981, repealed most of the Mental Health Systems Act. The Patients' Bill of Rights, section 501, was not repealed; per Congressional record, the Congress felt that state provisions were sufficient and section 501 served as a recommendation to states to review and refine existing policies.[4]

concise

Veteran
Daps
This is why I stand as far away from the tracks as possible while waiting for the train, pretty much hugging the wall.
I be seeing people right near the edge .

1280px-125th_Street_IRT_001.JPG

Some stations, like the one this happened at, do not have walls to stand up against. It's an island with access to trains in both directions.