Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
:francis: Im tempted to start over. Literally convinced every different enemy I found to join me before I got to the Velvet Room. Cause of that, I was only level 5 and had to put my main persona on the chopping block to get a low enough level new persona that I could use.

Wouldn't have felt bad about it if he didn't give me that speech. :mjcry:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No you didn't.:stopitslime:
I'm calling bullshyt on what happened.. That's just a excuse because you don't know what's going on.

Attacks have certain critical rates, some have low, some high. Often times when you get a move that has that, it'll say it. Critical rates are determined by percentages and also influenced by your luck which can be increased/decreased by certain armor and or accessories.

So that negates what you're talking about.

Secondly, you can press Down on the D-Pad to see who goes next. So you can already prepare for w/e the enemy is about to do. Secondly, if the enemy got 3 attacks off in a row, most likely they landed an exploit move which gives an extra turn, just like you would get if you did and then they landed another one on a different person and then a third attack afterwards. If you had the right setup, or blocked w/e that wouldn't happen. There's tons of things that can happen. What Persona did you have equipped, what armor? Were you ambushed or they?? What was the enemies move set? Are you paying attention to enemy attributes/your own Persona's attributes?

Third, there's buffs/debuffs you obviously haven't gotten yet like Sukukaja or Sukunda which raises your evaision/accuray and lowers it for enemies. That's also another variable which comes into the equation.

Then all the time management stuff is another factor that inadvertently affects gameplay too.
and there's a ton of other stuff further into the game you haven't even seen yet. Playing it on Merciless exacerbates the difficulty spikes so it makes seeing things that help harder.

Lol son u not about to tell me anything idk about this game. I played 150 hours of this and countless in the previous games. I could literally tell you step by step exactly what happened.

It takes skills which comes from knowledge of the game which you don't have right now due to this obviously being your first time playing. Nothin wrong with that but stop trying to shyt on the game due to your play style pretending you some hot shot :russ:

To say this game doesn't require skill is a boldface lie or just an alternative fact. You just don't know much about the game and are using other game's knowledge to think it'll help here. Go talk that casual shyt to another noob. :scust:

Git gud
Turn based games aren't skill based they're strategy based meaning that with the same knowledge anyone can produce results. This isn't a skill based game. You can go online and read how to manually catch a pass or intercept one in Madden and it's skill based still and you might not be good at it regardless. If you read how to play this game online you can produce results guaranteed.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This game doesn't take skill.. it's a strategic game.

Turn based games aren't skill based they're strategy based meaning that with the same knowledge anyone can produce results. This isn't a skill based game. You can go online and read how to manually catch a pass or intercept one in Madden and it's skill based still and you might not be good at it regardless. If you read how to play this game online you can produce results guaranteed.

You dudes are crazy. Isn't building effective strategies a skill?
Would you let someone with zero financing knowledge be your accountant?? You're conflating dexterity and other rigid skills of that nature and solely making that out to be the only thing that is Skill.

That's like saying there's no such thing as Writing Skills because you can just read how to write online and produce results guaranteed. That's like saying Critical Thinking isn't a skill.
Sure if someone created a test and gave you the method/answers on how to solve questions you could say it didn't take skills to pass it but then that's cheating.

It requires a semblance of skills. You may not be thinking Skills such as parrying in SF3 or pulling off hard combos in Tekken but that's a different skill altogether.

Stop it, Mowgli just sucks. :ehh:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
fukk no. This game relies on cheap game mechanics to actually avoid having to design a gameplay system that requires skill. It is not an elite game but it is an entertaining/fun game.

Imagine if you were playing a turn based final fantasy and your primary means of causing damange were magic and limit break based, but in order to make it through a dungeon you had to get to a savepoint, travel back to a town, sleep, then go back to the dungeon again.

The thing to bare in mind is that these games aren't built to complete all tasks in one run; so rushing through a dungeon isn't the way to go. Your first (and a lot of times second and even third at times) run should be information gathering. Find the maps, learn the weaknesses of as many enemies as possible and farm items in negotiations when you don't want to capture the persona (also wait until there's one left to negotiate so you get the exp and cash from the defeated guys). Then you can grab items that will replenish health and SP without using up SP as needed. Visit the velvet room and try to fuse a couple of persona together that you can stack skills on (a lot of guys weak to bufu and zio? fuse a persona and inherit both), that way you can level that single persona multiple times as you traverse the dungeon. By your third or fourth trip, you should be able to skate to the end by playing smart.

To make matters worse you also have to use this same time to craft LOCKPICKS to open BULLshyt treasure chests filled with garbage.

Backtracking through a dungeon on the harder difficulties? Prepare to be even more pissed off as you have to still keep the thought of how much time youre spending on the dungeon in the back of your mind. You will backtrack unless you craft an insane number of lockpicks. What id say you need at least 3 for the first palace, but you know, it takes time to craft them shyts

But in doing all this you may possibly run out of time to either finish the dungeon or lose a chance obtain a special reward for finishing it in a certain amount of time.

The lockpick crafting will give you three or four once your proficiency has risen, so I had to spend two nights crafting lockpicks before completing the first palace. As far as rushing the dungeons, you should be alright beating time limits by just focusing on the dungeon completion before you focus on things like bonds and building your social skills. You can focus on all that after you've beaten the dungeon.

Then you have to form special bonds with your summons and teammates in order to get other special shyt.

There are a lot of things to do that dont involve fighting, which annoys me but hey, i guess it has a purpose that translates to fighting somehow.

All you really get is pissed off since the hardest gamemode exposes the gameplay for what it really is.

I think the first playthrough is more about developing your character and collection for NG+. The extra stuff pays off in the second run through. I do think this Persona did a worse job balancing home life with dungeon exploring than Persona 4, but you can fly through the days if you really want to. Same with the bonds, I typically load up one bond early so that I can fuse a persona of that type and collect the bonus EXP. That way I have one juiced up Persona form that I can make my main piece on dungeon runs.

The story itself is entertaining i guess. Touching on some concepts that other games do not in terms of how the psyche plays into social interactions and the difference between the person you are in the world and the potential monster that lurks inside of you. There is profanity so thats good but the cutscenes can be a little overwhelming as you could be sitting there watching alot of casual conversation for an extended period of time but the subject matter, profanity and art style helps. My son enjoys watching me play this game.

Close to 20 hours in the game so far and while im enjoying myself i think having to leave dungeons to sleep just so i can have more special attacks to tackle the dungeon is a weak way of covering up a flawed gameplay system.

Id say if youre going to play this game you play it on a more regular or slightly above average difficulty because you dont really get anything out of it in terms of skill to play on the hardest difficulty.

That model encourages you to spend your time wisely though. It's about planning ahead and crafting strategies to take advantage of the unique rules instead of getting slammed by them. Fusing persona is huge and you can farm if need be from the first sections of dungeons. Once you get a rhythm to it, you'll be less frustrated; especially if you run a NG+ (similar to the Dark Souls/Bloodborne payoff).

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Would you let someone with zero financing knowledge be your accountant?? You're conflating dexterity and other rigid skills of that nature and solely making that out to be the only thing that is Skill.

That's like saying there's no such thing as Writing Skills because you can just read how to write online and produce results guaranteed. That's like saying Critical Thinking isn't a skill.
Sure if someone created a test and gave you the method/answers on how to solve questions you could say it didn't take skills to pass it but then that's cheating.

It requires a semblance of skills. You may not be thinking Skills such as parrying in SF3 or pulling off hard combos in Tekken but that's a different skill altogether.

There are some strategy based games that require skill like chess but this game like most turn based rpgs isn't one of them. Like I said you can go online and read how to play this game and play at a high level without meeting any other requirements including experience. The systems in place aren't complex enough to require skill simply understanding is needed.

You can't go online and read how to play chess then sit infront of a chess master and match that level of play. Just like you can't go online and read how to play say Overwatch and instantly play that at a high level. If you read a few paragraphs on Persona and understand them and are the right level with the right equipment you're as good an most other people by default.

Saying this isn't skill based isn't a slight to it at all. It's just the nature of turn based RPGs

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Now is the time limit about beating the palace before Friday or before I get expelled? Do I get a bonus if I beat it before a certain time

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

Again. They allowed an enemy that looked like an angel in the first palace who was a copy paste of the mini boss at Tue midway point to do 3 attacks on me in a row.

That has nothing to do with getting good. That's just typical cheese.he didn't ambush me, he just gets to do 3 attacks in a row for no reason. shyt is retarded.

This is a management sim. To you this requires elite skill

I don't see how.

I know I'm going to regret making these lockpicks to considering I bought all the best shyt at the store already...

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Does your main persona hold any weight later on in the game? Cuz I scrapped his ass in early stages in the game. :patrice:

Also do all your personas get the same level of exp all at the same time or so they split it up? I really dont get the persona leveling system in this game..

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again. They allowed an enemy that looked like an angel in the first palace who was a copy paste of the mini boss at Tue midway point to do 3 attacks on me in a row.

That has nothing to do with getting good. That's just typical cheese.he didn't ambush me, he just gets to do 3 attacks in a row for no reason. shyt is retarded.

I don't see how.

I know I'm going to regret making these lockpicks to considering I bought all the best shyt at the store already...
What exactly did he do that was three moves because that didn't happen to me and on top of that there's specific circumstances where a move like that can happen and it's almost always something that can be replicated. I'm just calling that bs because I fought it mad times. I just think you don't know how to explain what happened. Again if you were better prepared that wouldn't happen.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I don't see how.

If the enemy hits a character weakness they get a free turn same as you. I was level 30 and got hit with an ambush if 5 enemies and all my party members were put in despair. They all died because before I got in a single turn they were put in a status that doesn't let me enter commands. shyt happens.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are some strategy based games that require skill like chess but this game like most turn based rpgs isn't one of them. Like I said you can go online and read how to play this game and play at a high level without meeting any other requirements including experience. The systems in place aren't complex enough to require skill simply understanding is needed.

You can't go online and read how to play chess then sit infront of a chess master and match that level of play. Just like you can't go online and read how to play say Overwatch and instantly play that at a high level. If you read a few paragraphs on Persona and understand them and are the right level with the right equipment you're as good an most other people by default.

Saying this isn't skill based isn't a slight to it at all. It's just the nature of turn based RPGs
I'm not saying it's a slight I'm just saying I consider I knowledge and applications of it a skill. Chess is something that has several variables and often against human opponents so it's not really the same thing here. But w/e though that's just my opinion I think dude was going about it wrong and he was saying things that are incorrect.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
If the enemy hits a character weakness they get a free turn same as you. I was level 30 and got hit with an ambush if 5 enemies and all my party members were put in despair. They all died because before I got in a single turn they were put in a status that doesn't let me enter commands. shyt happens.
I wasn't ambushed man. I'm not stupid. He got ambushed, I hit him with an HP slash. We all got our turns then this faggit did 3 attacks in a row. This is One guy.

He did a charge.

A slash

Then a move that bl3w everyone up

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I'm not saying it's a slight I'm just saying I consider I knowledge and applications of it a skill. Chess is something that has several variables and often against human opponents so it's not really the same thing here. But w/e though that's just my opinion I think dude was going about it wrong and he was saying things that are incorrect.
Well I'm probably so good at chess this game feels like checkers.

Checkers where the enemies get 3 turns in a row if the computer feels like it

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wasn't ambushed man. I'm not stupid. He got ambushed, I hit him with an HP slash. We all got our turns then this faggit did 3 attacks in a row. This is One guy.

He did a charge.

A slash

Then a move that bl3w everyone up

That enemy charges up on his turn, then it's your turn, then he does a Slash move. I'm guessing he did a slash move and it was a critical and he landed another hit. Where is the 3 moves coming from?

You're mistaken on the other move afterwards because he has to charge FIRST and then he can do Vajras Blast so how could he have done it three times in a row?? You're talking about that Chapel enemy right?

Well I'm probably so good at chess this game feels like checkers.

Checkers where the enemies get 3 turns in a row if the computer feels like it
Sure. You're lying. The enemy can't get 3 turns, especially not how you said it happened.
Enemies have one turn, only two if they exploit a weakness. Saying that they charged, slashed and then another attack that blew everyone up is :duck:

shyt happened, you weren't prepared and now it's the games fault for you losing.

Pathetic

41ae43cf7d59a84641ee8da3366d9e30.gif

Last edited: