Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
Almost done with this. 132 hours in.

Cannot wait to start it right back up in Anglais in a few weeks for that 100% comprehension.
This game is proof that JRPGS can be modernized and still retain turn based combat. The battle system is quite possibly one of the best for turn based games. It's so quick that it often doesn't even feel like it's turn based. Things being mapped to button commands make it so fast to just fly through some battles.
I got a question for you. i never played a persona game but you seem like the biggest fan of them is it worth getting? how is the story? is there weapons? basic JRPG stuff? also i am also thinking about that Fantasy JRPG Atlus is going to make with the Persona director do you think it will be turn based?:lupe: what would you like to see from it?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I got a question for you. i never played a persona game but you seem like the biggest fan of them is it worth getting?
Absolutely.

This one, like FF games are all separate entries so you don't have to play P1-4 to play 5. It'd honestly be hard to play 3/4 after playing 5 though because the gameplay is so much better here.

how is the story? is there weapons? basic JRPG stuff?
The story in 5 is about a group of troubled high school students who meet each other and realize the society they're in is corrupted and toxic and ruled by corrupt adults and authority. The main character is on probation which makes him more of a character rather than an avatar like the last two.

You form a group, through discovering the power of your Personas(called demons/shadows in this alternate world) that you use to fight/defeat the darkest, deep secrets of corrupt individuals in what you call "Palaces." This group is the Phantom Thieves.

Basically it starts off with a bang. Other JRPGS typically start off slow and build up but Persona 5 literally starts off chronologically later in the game and then reaches a climax which then sets the story for it to be told from the beginning, leading up to that moment. It's long as hell too and the pacing is just right. It keeps getting better and better without dragging it's feet.

It's much more to it than that as there's lots of themes and other social commentary that you'd have to play to understand but themes such as extortion, fraud, gluttony, death etc. The story is very good because the writers know how to make really good characters that have personality.

Weapons yes, the game is a standard JPRG. There are guns which serve as projectiles weapons, blades/swords, hammers/fists etc. It's basic JRPG stuff. Elemental types such as Dark, Light, Wind, Fire, Physic, nuclear almighty etc. There's potions, elixirs, accesssories, buffing/debuffing etc. Boss fights, etc. There's leveling up the whole 9 yards. This isn't a JRPG "lite" game.

The game is a mix of dungeon crawling through handcrafted dungeons filled with monsters. These aren't repetitive mazes or hallways like Persona 3 and 4 had though. These are actual places with a structured layout, puzzles(nothing hard really), mini bosses, bosses, scenes etc. They're very exciting imo in contrast to the regular world.

What makes it stand out though is there's a mix of regular daily life in it in that during the normal daytime you have school which serve as the mundane day to day stuff that you're "supposed" to do which is an overarching theme in the game which basically makes the characters feel like slaves so to speak. You have classes, you have after school, night time and there's time management in between all this. A typical day you go to school, see some stuff/class and then after school you can go to work for money, go about different activities to raise your stats such as Courage, Dexterity, knowledge, charm etc. Activities such as batting station, going to the movies, reading a book on the way to school or at home, Gym, hang out spots etc. This is stuff that's typically very fast when done so it's not like you're spending 20-30 minutes lifting weights or reading. They've streamlined it so you can sort of get an idea of what you want to do and how. There's also a network thing that you can see what other players did that day.

The other aspect of this is like Pokemon. In dungeons, you can capture enemies and have them join your party. They typically have to be downed/almost killed. They sometimes join your out of fear if their the only one left, you can force them and when they do join you you can fuse them with other monsters to create stronger monsters. Theses demons all have different types, called Arcanas. The Arcana's have a leveling system which you can level up outside of dungeons by forming bonds with various people called Confidants. By hanging out with them after school or some of them happen automatically throughout the story, raise Arcana type levels(Death, Moon, Sun, Emperor etc.) You typically have several time slots throughout the day to do this so there's ample time to fit dungeon crawling/fighting and regular stuff. There's anin game calendar system that tracks all this.

There's also a LOT of text so it harkens back to more old school JRPGS where you had to read and shyt.

There's way too much to explain as it's way bigger than what I'm making it out to be but check this video out. This game is a JRPG through and through.

Oh and the soundtrack deserves special attention to. It's really fukking good.

also i am also thinking about that Fantasy JRPG Atlus is going to make with the Persona director do you think it will be turn based?:lupe: what would you like to see from it?

I'd like to see this engine used because if there's one thing this game has is, is style. It's fukking beautiful. EVERY menu has a cool animation, slick fade/fade out animation that makes just flipping through menu's a joy. Honestly just a nice story along with challenging gameplay and shyt. I hope it stays turn based. The turn based gameplay in P5 is really good. Like, it's fast, frenetic and looks really slick in motion. Turn based JRPGS must've gotten a bad rep last gen but this plays well. It's also challenging at times. I've had several times enemies wipe my whole team out in one or two turns on Normal. I've tried hard mode for a while but went back because them enemies hit really hard but for the most part the game isn't hard on normal.

isPEjtO.gif

tumblr_nqgohb3Ze11tydz8to1_500.gif

cr08e138mlgu2fkdt98z.gif

Last edited:

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
@Fatboi1 i actually like that you can do other shyt besides combat :ohhh: so i can just take a break from everything and do side shyt and LV from doing it. i might look into the weapon system since you said they have it

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Fatboi1 i actually like that you can do other shyt besides combat :ohhh: so i can just take a break from everything and do side shyt and LV from doing it. i might look into the weapon system since you said they have it
Like for example, when a main dungeon is identified, you go into it and this typically takes place during the "after school" time slot. I usually play about 40% of the dungeon during that time and usually by then my SP gets low/items low and I just leave the dungeon. Once you leave, it then goes to "night" time. Night time after coming from dungeons typically don't let you do anything since you're tired from fighting so you just go home and sleep. The next day would usually start like Morning[Cutscene]>School[quick class scene]>>Midday[School/class scene]>After School. Most days after you school you can either go back to the dungeon, go do other side activities to raise your stats and Arcana levels which gives you leveling up boosts when fusing Personas. In P5 though, the social sim aspect gives you gameplay benefits too. You do have a time limit though as there's usually a 15-20 day period between the start of the mission and end date to which the story progresses so often times you can finish the mission in like a few days and then the remainder of that period is just doing other stuff like side quests(which takes place in a mostly optional dungeon that's not as good as the regular dungeons.) This dungeon is mainly random and just serves as a place to get certain Personas, do side quests and level up in between completing dungeons since they no longer exist after finishing them. So you kinda get a lot of free time to form bonds and see other things in the game which is plenty to do. Things like buying a game console and a game to play in your room to raise your stats or renting a dvd from the store or going to a burger shop and doing a eating challenge etc.

Weapon system is just stuff like getting a more powerful Melee weapon that does more damage/higher accuracy and the typical "This weapon may inflict fear status on the enemy" and other traits like that. There's also a gun shop to buy guns which I found out like 100 hours later can be useful in battle. :laugh:

There's a lot to do/see.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Haven't seen him yet actually. I doubt he's redesigned. Most of the demons are the same they just look better. Those golden hands from P4G though are different.
They still run like bytches when you're about to kill them? :martin:
Please tell me there's nothing like Tarturus. Tried playing P3P but that shyt had me :snooze:

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Please tell me there's nothing like Tarturus. Tried playing P3P but that shyt had me :snooze:
Bruh, I SWEAR its hard going back to P3P after Golden.

I've tried so many times but keep dropping it.

P4G on the other hand, I'm on my 3rd playthrough and over 200 hours in game time.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They're not in here anymore there's something else that's like that but you can dash so it's not hard to catch them.
There's a side dungeon that's largely optional that's similar to Tartarus but it's a bit faster/streamlined and it's mainly used for side quests and other stuff.

The main dungeons though are all unique with distinct layouts/designs.

Like this
full_upload.jpg

wS1jXKk.gif

This side dungeon isn't really forced onto you.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
P4 did away with Tartarus and anything like it. Though I didn't have a problem with Tartarus at all, you could knock it out early and just chill and do social links after you got done with it

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's people talking about this game is almost 200 hours. Screw that I'll give it about 60. When I became an adult with a full time job 60 hours is my limit on what I give a game. I prefer 30-40 tops really. I find most games can't really go past 40 hours without a bunch of repetitive task and major padding.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
It's people talking about this game is almost 200 hours. Screw that I'll give it about 60. When I became an adult with a full time job 60 hours is my limit on what I give a game. I prefer 30-40 tops really. I find most games can't really go past 40 hours without a bunch of repetitive task and major padding.
No padding in these games.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Its about as long as the Trails stuff...?

In saying that, I won't be able to get to this anytime soon. :mjcry: