Personal Shopper (March 10th - 2017) - Psychological thriller drama starring Kristen Stewart

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
SWJ5DVt.jpg

Grieving the recent death of her twin brother, Maureen haunts his old Paris home at night determined to make contact with him, as she spends her days working as a personal shopper for a fashion model.

I wrote something on this movie when I got to see it at the IFFR, and a month later it still stuck with me so I watched it again in theaters and had to conclude this movie definitely delivers an experience that stays with you, so I figured it needs its own thread. One thing that defines the movie is its many tonal shifts, juggling what feels like three different storylines (all surrounding Stewart's character) that seemingly only connect because they are complete juxtapositions. It's a drama about mourning that questions the vanity of materialism while simultaneously playing out as a psychological thriller about the role of spiritualism in our lives, combining the best of French arthouse with prime Hitchcockian suspense. @HHR @MartyMcFly @FlyRy

It is so intriguingly written and shot by director Olivier Assayas that there seems to be more to every scene (no surprise he won Best Director at Cannes) but center piece is Kristen Stewart, whose collaborations with Assayas (this is their second, the first being Clouds Of Sils Maria) have her evolving into an actress to be reckoned with. There's a scene in the middle of the movie which introduces the element of technology into the supernatural suspense (that's all I can say without spoiling it), and while many will be turned off by this 10-15 minute long sequence, it features some otherworldly acting by Stewart as her distress is tangible and feels realer than any distress I've ever seen in a movie. It's a true powerhouse performance, and I can't stop thinking about it.