Pete Rock just older God'ed the instrumental genre and it's likely going unnoticed.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Petestrumentals 2 is OOZING with soul, genius flips and joints I'D PAY to hear my fav MC's rhyme on. This shyt slaughters what Al has done. SLAUGHTERS. It's so much more soulful.

This dude Peter, man. It's only right Pete comes back and shakes the foundation on the instrumental genre which has gotten a bit self indulgent and gone away from what beats are intended to be: joints to be rocked on.

Salute DA GAWD.

Last edited:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
y'all still believe in pete rock?
the 1st petestrumentals was bland and borin' as fukk for the most part aside from a couple of instrumentals
pete was great for his era but he didn't keep up with the times into the 2000s lol
bruh fell off in the late 90's and hard too, he didn't evolve

premier and rza did though (i'm talkin' bout into the 2000s) although rza fell off sometime after the w album

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
None of this happened.

The instrumental beat genre is clearly so much more progressive than Pete is today.

Good project but not even remotely genre defining

This.

Most of my favourite artists now are pretty much dudes who release nothing but/a lot of instrumental stuff.

Freddie Joachim
IAMNOBODI
Cashmere Cat
The Stuyvesants
Eric G
Oddisee
Uyama Hiroto

I actually listened to the original Petestrumentals for the first time only in the past year or 2 and I was shocked at:

1. How long the beats were. Literally 4 minute beats as if they were songs.
2. How little the beats switched up.

The instrumental album game has evolved way past Pete Rock, and I love dudes beats.

Still. For his PR & CL Smooth stuff, he's > than these guys, but if we're talking straight instrumental album catalogue, he's barely scratching Top 10

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
This.

Most of my favourite artists now are pretty much dudes who release nothing but/a lot of instrumental stuff.

Freddie Joachim
IAMNOBODI
Cashmere Cat
The Stuyvesants
Eric G
Oddisee
Uyama Hiroto

I actually listened to the original Petestrumentals for the first time only in the past year or 2 and I was shocked at:

1. How long the beats were. Literally 4 minute beats as if they were songs.
2. How little the beats switched up.

The instrumental album game has evolved way past Pete Rock, and I love dudes beats.

Still. For his PR & CL Smooth stuff, he's > than these guys, but if we're talking straight instrumental album catalogue, he's barely scratching Top 10

How old are you?

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
y'all still believe in pete rock?
the 1st petestrumentals was bland and borin' as fukk for the most part aside from a couple of instrumentals
pete was great for his era but he didn't keep up with the times into the 2000s lol
bruh fell off in the late 90's and hard too, he didn't evolve

premier and rza did though (i'm talkin' bout into the 2000s) although rza fell off sometime after the w album
his whole solo discography is 98 and later. youre really saying he hasnt evolved in that time?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
How old are you?

That's your rebuttal?

Is your next question going to be "are you a cac?"

Answer is no.

Will the ensuing question be "Are you some kinda NY hater?"

Answer is no.

Listen, I'm not saying PR is wack, or saying that you shouldn't like it, what I'm saying is that the instrumental music/album game has evolved into a legitimate genre of an to itself where the instrumentals are songs, not just 4 minute beats that don't switch up after the first 45 seconds, and Pete Rock is releasing beat CD's, not albums with instrumentals he's crafted into songs.

There's an entire thread dedicated to it that's over 200 pages long:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fans-of-soulful-laidback-jazz-instrumental-music-enter.321/

Some of it may not be to your liking, but it is what it is.

Like I said, The Main Ingredient and Mecca and the Soul Brother > pretty much anything any of the dudes I mentioned have ever/will ever make, but Pete's instrumental albums are long, repetitive, and boring.

:yeshrug:

I'm pretty much done and will have nothing more to say on the topic :russ:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
his whole solo discography is 98 and later. youre really saying he hasnt evolved in that time?

yeah but his best years were when him and c.l. were a duo, 91' to 95'
he had a few gems here and there post 95' like "take your time" (which is a favorite of mine), "soul survivor" the title track, and "mind blowin" but pete got stale as fukk post 95' for the most part. he was like sho nuff in the last dragon by the time 98' came around. there was flashes of great moments of what once was here and there like on those songs i listed but his peak was behind (pause) him by then

and yes, i'm really sayin' he hasn't evolved. time passed pete by. his beats are stale as fukk and have been for the most part since the late 90's

pete's golden era = 91' to 95'