Philadelphia DA Larry Krasner Promised a Criminal Justice Revolution. He’s Exceeding Expectations

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Good on him and I hope this serves as a blueprint for other locales.
You just know sessions is fuming like a mofo....

I was taken aback by the #freemeekmills stance in the article. Philly really fukk wit dude hardcore.....
Notice he's getting pushback from judges. A lot of judges used to be prosecutors, and they became judges by feasting off trumped up drug charges on people. Sending "criminals" to jail so they can run for office as tough on crime. The system is like a rigged game where you sacrifice human lives in order to rise higher on the totem pole.

I wish him nothing but success. And safety...
Exactly, it's one of the fabrics that actually hold our capitalistic society together. The by product of discrimination and marginalization is incarceration. Once locked up there are many benefactors and stakeholders, raking in herds of cash from the exploitation of labor for cheap, goods and services that go back into the private sector economy.

What's even more crazy to me, is how quickly he got it done. It just goes back one of many issues that are wrong with this country. If we wanted to fix a lot of contemporary issues like: health care, education, poverty, address the obesity epidemic in this country, we could essentially do it over night, but the powers that be don't want to see change.

Last edited:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I have a hard time imagining that sorta move would make one popular in a state like Pennsylvania in today's climate. He's not a career politician, looks to me like he really cares more about this than anything. Pray that it works and begins to shift the climate.

Given the distaste more and more Democrats have of their own party and the increase of the Progressive movement in the party, he'll be more popular with the base as a whole. In fact, his stance on marijuana alone makes him a far better candidate than Joe Kennedy III. At this point, if Sanders is going to have a successor, it would be Krasner.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Krasner instructed his prosecutors to now add up and justify the exact costs of every single person sentenced to a crime in Philadelphia. Stating that the city is currently spending an astounding $360 million per year to jail around just 6,000 people, Krasner then gave examples of all of the things that such money could be doing in the city currently. Stating that it costs between $42,000 and $60,000 per year to incarcerate a person, he reminded the prosecutors that the average total family income of a person in the city was just $41,000. The annual cost of incarceration, Krasner reminded his prosecutors, was currently more per year than the beginning salary of teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, addiction counselors, and even prosecutors in his office.

:lupe:

This is such an interesting angle to take, and one that's rarely taken. Usually if we discuss the cost of incarceration the solution is private prisons. IE private corporations throwing people in jail and being subsidized by the state. Disgusting shyt, specifically aimed at fukking over blacks and Hispanics. But Krasner out here making a "fiscally conservative" argument on incarceration that doesn't boil down to "let's just send the coloreds to a corporate prison." Very impressive.

A lot of these people should NOT be in prison. It's a waste of resources.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Krasner instructed his prosecutors to now add up and justify the exact costs of every single person sentenced to a crime in Philadelphia. Stating that the city is currently spending an astounding $360 million per year to jail around just 6,000 people, Krasner then gave examples of all of the things that such money could be doing in the city currently. Stating that it costs between $42,000 and $60,000 per year to incarcerate a person, he reminded the prosecutors that the average total family income of a person in the city was just $41,000. The annual cost of incarceration, Krasner reminded his prosecutors, was currently more per year than the beginning salary of teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, addiction counselors, and even prosecutors in his office.

This is such an interesting angle to take, and one that's rarely taken. Usually if we discuss the cost of incarceration the solution is private prisons. IE private corporations throwing people in jail and being subsidized by the state. Disgusting shyt, specifically aimed at fukking over blacks and Hispanics. But Krasner out here making a "fiscally conservative" argument on incarceration that doesn't boil down to "let's just send the coloreds to a corporate prison." Very impressive.

You'd think @DEAD7 would be cool wit this

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
George Soros backed him financially during the race as well. Just to let y’all know. All this propaganda regarding Soros but he got this one right about this guy.
so which political backings has he gotten wrong? the wingnuts behind most of the anti-soros propaganda see "wrong" things like this as one of the main reasons they hate him.

he backed my local state attorney ayala and the republicans in florida are trying to get her recalled.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
so which political backings has he gotten wrong? the wingnuts behind most of the anti-soros propaganda see "wrong" things like this as one of the main reasons they hate him.

he backed my local state attorney ayala and the republicans in florida are trying to get her recalled.

Oh ok I thought people seen him as extreme but I didn’t know he has a track record like this. Excellent

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Oh ok I thought people seen him as extreme but I didn’t know he has a track record like this. Excellent
and folks that's how the right has the left playing themselves and losing this war. so the left has a soros and the right correctly hates him because he's not on their side, but then the propaganda is so effective they get people that should appreciate his support questioning his motives as well. they have the koch brothers, the mercers and almost every other billionaire family and we're suppose to hate soros? :camby:

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
and folks that's how the right has the left playing themselves and losing this war. so the left has a soros and the right correctly hates him because he's not on their side, but then the propaganda is so effective they get people that should appreciate his support questioning his motives as well. they have the koch brothers, the mercers and almost every other billionaire family and we're suppose to hate soros? :camby:
He’s my avi

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
Nothing but respect for what this guy is doing, but people like this make dangerous enemies. I hope dude has a trustworthy security detail around him at all times, pissing off cops is one of the most dangerous things you can do.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps

The city spends $300 million on jails, while the school district needs about $150 million.

The school district serves a lot of students while the jails serves only 6000.

And let’s talk the tax abatement.

I know a guy. He’s morally bankrupt. He was hit with 10 years of probation. I think less of the state.

The Bennett story is angering folks too. You’re telling me you can do 10 years in prison and only charged a $10000 fine? That doesn’t make any fukking sense.

Last edited: