Photoshop: learning digital art and photo editing in Photoshop

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
I want to learn how to use photoshop. Any tips and suggested tutorials would be a big help. I'm not trying to learn just the simple things I want to be able to make full illustrations and be able to edit photos to get work (EVENTUALLY)

*** not a full career.
anyways...

I'm currently doing a 7 day free trial of Photoshop CC and Lightroom. I also have a Wacom tablet. As soon as it is over I want to purchase a subscription.

Any and all tips and tricks would help.
Suggestions on where to start to teach myself would be helpful as well.

I Am A BEGINNER.

Thanks in advance.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Illustrator is better for making your own shyt from scratch. it's vector graphics, meaning you make images with shapes. that sounds simple, but it is very powerful, plus you can resize images without loosing any quality

Photoshop is best for editing (raster) images/photos

FSP

Banned
Daps
I've been doing this self-teaching thing for about a year and a half now. Started off with web and mobile development. I only have few tips I can offer because the thing about teaching yourself is that it's not always clear what you should be focusing on.

But basically it all comes down to continued practice and research. There is no perfect guide or tutorial, you're going to suck at it at first, and that's not avoidable, so make it a habit to work on starting and finishing as many projects as you can. When ever you pick up new knowledge, use it immediately because it will ultimately enhance your creative arsenal and allow you to make new, novel connections. Strive to find inspiration from as many sources as you can, designschool.canva, designinstruct are good repositories, also adobe stock, even steal work if you have to, try to recreate what you see using your own skills and if you have specific questions google is awesome. That is literally it. The key to progress is iteration. Also I'm a huge fan of minimalism, so I might be biased, but don't underestimate the value of simplicity. A lot of effective designs aren't made by using super complex ideas or skills, only a combination of simple things done well.

I've been doing Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop for a few weeks too and I can already see progress. Adobe and Lynda tutorials are good. Make sure to check out Terry White's videos too. Also don't underestimate a good friend (or coli member:wink:) who can offer you answers on the spot because that will decrease the learning curve drastically.

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Thank you sooo much for your advice. You are so right and what you are saying can be applied to multiple things. I just downloaded the trial a few hrs ago. I already know I want it I just am tryna see how it goes first. Thank you! I will be looking into it and following what u are telling me.
I've been doing this self-teaching thing for about a year and a half now. Started off with web and mobile development. I only have few tips I can offer because the thing about teaching yourself is that it's not always clear what you should be focusing on.

But basically it all comes down to continued practice and research. There is no perfect guide or tutorial, you're going to suck at it at first, and that's not avoidable, so make it a habit to work on starting and finishing as many projects as you can. When ever you pick up new knowledge, use it immediately because it will ultimately enhance your creative arsenal and allow you to make new, novel connections. Strive to find inspiration from as many sources as you can, designschool.canva, designinstruct are good repositories, also adobe stock, even steal work if you have to, try to recreate what you see using your own skills and if you have specific questions google is awesome. That is literally it. The key to progress is iteration. Also I'm a huge fan of minimalism, so I might be biased, but don't underestimate the value of simplicity. A lot of effective designs aren't made by using super complex ideas or skills, only a combination of simple things done well.

I've been doing Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop for a few weeks too and I can already see progress. Adobe and Lynda tutorials are good. Make sure to check out Terry White's videos too. Also don't underestimate a good friend (or coli member:wink:) who can offer you answers on the spot because that will decrease the learning curve drastically.

Thank you for your advice as well. I'm not new to art just digital art. I've used those vector apps where it's more about creating off of shapes and I feel like those are more geard towards people who can't draw or are trying to have more of an engineer/ architect/ designer background vs. an illustrator one.
Illustrator is better for making your own shyt from scratch. it's vector graphics, meaning you make images with shapes. that sounds simple, but it is very powerful, plus you can resize images without loosing any quality

Photoshop is best for editing (raster) images/photos

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Thank you for your advice as well. I'm not new to art just digital art. I've used those vector apps where it's more about creating off of shapes and I feel like those are more geard towards people who can't draw or are trying to have more of an engineer/ architect/ designer background vs. an illustrator one.
well whatever line or stroke you draw with is basically a shape. again the advantage of vector graphics is that you can resize it without loosing quality

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Please do. What type of work do u do on it? Is it worth the subscription cost? How did you go about learning the program?

I've done everything imaginable with it, album art, abstract art, web design. I learned using tutorials from a website called pixel2life.com. I'd find someone who has it installed on their computer and try it out for myself before spending any money on it.

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
I've got the trial
I've done everything imaginable with it, album art, abstract art, web design. I learned using tutorials from a website called pixel2life.com. I'd find someone who has it installed on their computer and try it out for myself before spending any money on it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Clarify for me, when you say you want to make full illustrations, do you mean you want to learn how to draw from scratch? or do you just need help navigating Photoshop and learning it's tools in order for you to draw?