Pieces from a Fan: Profiling AZ

Daps
I just posted my newest article over at Rhyme Junkie, this time I profile one of the all-time greats in AZ. I personally feel like he is one of the most underrated rappers to ever pick up a mic and certainly one of the best emcees to come out of New York.

Here's a snippet:

When AZ made his mainstream debut on “Life’s a bytch” off of Nas’ Illmatic in 1994, nobody really knew who he was but the up-and-coming Brooklyn emcee left all listeners intrigued. Not only did AZ help propel the track into a universally renowned single, he stood as the only featured artist on Illmatic, which traveled through the ears of the world as hip hop’s inadvertent bible. Strapped with a unique voice, intelligence and a flow heavily influenced by Nas and Kool G Rap, AZ built a strong following quicker than most.

AZ’s “Life’s a bytch” verse put him on the map and lead to a vibrant solo career that would exhibit one of the most underrated catalogs in hip hop history. In terms of flow, delivery, annunciation and lyricism, you could even call him “Nas-lite,” but with his own flavor and an enrapturing voice that hasn’t been mimicked. A lot of rappers front their vocabulary and try to make themselves sound good with a lot of words they don’t even know the definition of, but AZ separates himself from that category with a flurry of cohesive bars that fit a great deal of information into a small box.

The Visualiza has been going strong for 20 years as one of the best lyricists of all-time and firmly holds his place as one of the elite rappers to come out of New York. AZ has put out eight studio albums in addition to his work with The Firm, and while his earlier records were more successful than his latest, each and every project is filled with excellence and AZ’s signature style that keeps your head knocking.

AZ was quietly one of the best rappers to come out of the 90s era, and his first four albums highlight the prime of his immaculate body of work. There should be a picture of his face in the dictionary next to “underrated,” and if you haven’t taken the time to listen to his catalog, you have been severely missing out for a long, long time. AZ is the truth like Paul Pierce. If you’re behind, educate yo’self, fool, or forever deprive your ears from some rather unique greatness.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FULL ARTICLE HERE

All comments/feedback is very much appreciated.

What do you guys think of AZ? What are some of your favorite tracks?

Last edited:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
great article, enjoyed the G Rap as well

you spotlighted by favor song off Doe or Die which is Rather Unique :wow:

didn't know The Essence was nominated for a Grammy...looked up the winner and it went to "The Whole World," by OutKast Featuring Killer Mike:ehh: Can't hate on Outkast..at least it wasnt a novelty act or something

Daps
great article, enjoyed the G Rap as well

you spotlighted by favor song off Doe or Die which is Rather Unique :wow:

didn't know The Essence was nominated for a Grammy...looked up the winner and it went to "The Whole World," by OutKast Featuring Killer Mike:ehh: Can't hate on Outkast..at least it wasnt a novelty act or something

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. Glad you enjoyed them.

Rather Unique is my favorite AZ track too, and that second verse I highlighted definitely has to be one of his vest verses.

My verbals rip shyt, brains give birth to thoughts in triplets
fukk it I’m on some flip shyt, ready to let my clip spit
Dramatical, vocals release shells like automatics do
Music’s magical causing any battles to be tragical
Child, got a style sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia
Slaughter your circulatory like leukemia
Filled with larceny, who want parts of me? I’m vicious
Mad malicious, cause it’s real on this road to riches
I got this mastered, other rappers’ll craft it
Weak and wicked camouflaged as killers how they speak and kick it
Peep this uniqueness, non-believers I’m leaving speechless
Left to choke as if skunk smoke was coming through the speakers
Surgically nice with any verbal device, trife
Breathing life into mics, my insight’s beyond the twilight
So die or fight, no surrender, no retreat
Techniques speak, I’m rather unique

:wow: is right

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Nice, thorough look at his career.

Be on the lookout for AZ’s upcoming record Doe or Die 2, which he claims will be his last album and is set to drop by the end of the year.

:russ::beli:
DOD2 is Detox status

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

As for Doe or Die 2, didn't he just release a new song from it last month? "Red Magic"

:skip: I got old ass songs he was releasing from 2009 talking "Doe Or Die 2 coming soon!" I was going into my junior year fukking high school when this shyt was being talked and now I'm in my junior year of college.

:mjlol: This shyt isn't ever coming out man

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

As for Doe or Die 2, didn't he just release a new song from it last month? "Red Magic"

Look at the quoted post below...

He's been teasing the album for five years. Putting out new songs that were HEAT, yet still no album
:skip: I got old ass songs he was releasing from 2009 talking "Doe Or Die 2 coming soon!" I was going into my junior year fukking high school when this shyt was being talked and now I'm in my junior year of college.

:mjlol: This shyt isn't ever coming out man

Lmaooooo

Reminds me of me waiting for Nacierma Dream and Greatest Story Never Told in high school

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
Have faith bro, Anthony Cruz gonna hit us with some crazy shyt again, do or die2 was shaping up to be a certified Classic

Daps
Haha so what you guys are saying is, I should delete the last sentence of my article? :lolbron: I know he has been promoting it for a while but I've seen recent interviews with him plus he put out "Red Magic" like 4 weeks ago, so I figure if he is still releasing stuff and promoting the project on twitter all throughout July it was safe to say that.