Politico: black flight from Chicago

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
Black People Are Leaving Chicago en Masse. It’s Changing the City’s Power Politics.
Chicago’s power struggle shows what’s at stake when a city loses its Black population. And they’re not alone: Nine of 10 of the cities with the largest Black populations are on the verge of the same exodus.

beth-suzanna-politico-the-recast.jpg

Illustration by Beth Harris | Photos by Patrick Cavan Brown for Politico Magazine

By SHIA KAPOS, JUAN PEREZ JR., RENUKA RAYASAM and MING LI

12/07/2021 11:00 AM EST

ENGLEWOOD, CHICAGO — By the time Eugene Sawyer became Chicago’s mayor in 1987 following the sudden death of the first African American to hold the office, Black residents were already leaving.

For decades, long before Sawyer’s ascension, the Englewood neighborhood had been a center of Black life in Chicago, boasting one of the city’s busiest commercial districts and a growing middle class. And it was a true power base, a center of political gravity: Sawyer launched his political career near here, in the 6th Ward of Chicago’s City Council.

. It seemed that just as soon as Black people made the neighborhood their own, its fortunes turned. Houses started falling into disrepair, thanks to disinvestment. Stores closed up shop — including the massive Sears store that left the neighborhood in 1976.

Now that trickle is a flood. Englewood, one of Chicago’s 77 community areas, boasted nearly 100,000 people in 1960 but is now home to about 22,000. Like a tide going out, it has left relics of decades of decline: more abandoned buildings, shuttered schools and boarded-up storefronts. Its remaining residents face a seemingly intractable level of street violence.

Black People Are Leaving Chicago en Masse. It’s Changing the City’s Power Politics.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Sometimes I think to myself, what’s stopping a state (ideally a coastal state) from building a massive new city with enough affordable housing to form a sustainable community? I’m sure there would be a lot of hurdles but hypothetically wouldn’t it be a massive long term gain?

Old cities are being gentrified and there are no comparable alternatives for people from urban areas. :jbhmm:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most blacks in chicago are moving to nwi or far out suburbs like Crete, romeoville and elgin.

Then you have people that bypass Illinois all together and go to Texas Arizona and ATL. But many of them end up coming back.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Most blacks in chicago are moving to nwi or far out suburbs like Crete, romeoville and elgin.

Then you have people that bypass Illinois all together and go to Texas Arizona and ATL. But many of them end up coming back.

Naw this was ten years ago. Black folks are leaving period now

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Realignment. Moving towards a deep red midwest, and a blue/purple south.

Illinois will always be Dem country but I agree with you some places (like Indiana/Ohio) seem to be settling into permanent red territory.

This was the plan.. There is too much land capitol… shyt will be a utopia for cacs in the next 10 years where the south side will look like downtown Brooklyn…

Yup.

Sometimes I think to myself, what’s stopping a state (ideally a coastal state) from building a massive new city with enough affordable housing to form a sustainable community? I’m sure there would be a lot of hurdles but hypothetically wouldn’t it be a massive long term gain?

Old cities are being gentrified and there are no comparable alternatives for people from urban areas. :jbhmm:

Public infrastructure costs are astronomical. Will be hard to convince someone (government or private) to give you tens of billions of dollars with no guarantee that people are going to move in large enough numbers to guarantee you'll be able to repay.

There are a few trying this on a much smaller scale but this will be for superrich.