Post-pandemic marriage rates are climbing as divorce rates are falling: new CDC data

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Here comes the bride — and there go the divorce papers.

Marriages have been on the rise since weddings and dates were put on pause during the COVID-19 pandemic — an apparent silver lining to long lockdowns.

The number of marriages jumped from 5.1 per 1,000 people in 2020 to 6.2 by 2022 — the highest rate observed since 2018 — according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The number of marriages jumped from 5.1 per 1,000 people in 2020 to 6.2 by 2022 — the highest rate observed since 2018 — according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Wedding photography – stock.adobe.com
There were more than 2,065,000 marriages in 2022, marking the first time the U.S. hit the 2 million mark since 2019.

The highest percentage increase in 2022 compared with 2021 occurred in New York, which saw a 21% spike.

Advertisement
Experts suggest that the rise is due to more than the end of lockdowns, explaining that the hardships of the pandemic and current societal trends have changed how people enter into and handle relationships.

“People are realizing the consequences of being lonely,” Elisabeth Goldberg, a licensed marriage and family therapist, told The Post.

“They do want to find a partner and are saying to themselves, ‘You know what? I’m going to be less picky. Let me think more about my values.'”

The marriage rate is still low compare to the past two decades when the number of marriages stayed around seven to eight per 1,000 people a year — but it comes as divorces continue on a downward trend. Igor – stock.adobe.com

I
The marriage rate is still low compared to the past two decades when the number of marriages stayed around seven to eight per 1,000 people a year — but it comes as divorces continue on a downward trend.

The divorce rate in 2000 was four per 1,000 people a year, compared to just 2.4 in 2022.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
This board makes marriage controversy, but settling down with a good partner is one of the best things you can do in life.

The bachelor(ette) life is fun but being the old head at the party gets old quick. You should want someone who’s down for you and can balance you and your life out…:yeshrug:

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
“They do want to find a partner and are saying to themselves, ‘You know what? I’m going to be less picky. Let me think more about my values.'”

Im guessing this was the opinion of women lol

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Why is the CDC doing this report?

This board makes marriage controversy, but settling down with a good partner is one of the best things you can do in life.

The bachelor(ette) life is fun but being the old head at the party gets old quick. You should want someone who’s down for you and can balance you and your life out…:yeshrug:
There are few advantages to getting married for a man, HOWEVER, the few advantages there are, are big advantages.

Obviously kids/solid family is one, but the other one I think a lot of folks overlook is almost anyone in any industry that's at the top of their game is married.

There's exceptions, but generally marriage is where you build your legacy/legend/kingdom... the only reason I can think this to be true is because you're not focused on a bunch of other asses. Even if you're a chronic cheater, cheaters usually have a "take it or leave it" attitude because they gotta get back to their wife and family.

Kinda happy this stat is going up.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why is the CDC doing this report?

There are few advantages to getting married for a man, HOWEVER, the few advantages there are, are big advantages.

Obviously kids/solid family is one, but the other one I think a lot of folks overlook is almost anyone in any industry that's at the top of their game is married.

There's exceptions, but generally marriage is where you build your legacy/legend/kingdom