Power Rangers Movie Thread

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Only one guy I know thought power rangers was rea enough to challenge someone to a fade. He probably reached behind his back when he asked
tumblr_mkzytbc0Kq1s74wyto1_500_zpswo2kjjqj.gif

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
I've noticed this a lot in movies nowadays, you see some white character grab the black male character by the collar and "tell em what's what" and shyt.

You see the black male depicted as soft, effeminate, no p*ssy getting dude. If not this, than he's the typical thug character.

It's like these white writers are venting their insecurities into these scripts and casting calls. You know damn well these white hollywood writers probably have no black friends, and are low key afraid of black men or even flat out racist towards them.

So we're seeing the result of it on screen, but a lot of people are in denial about it. You even have one dude on here that's trying to turn "normal" into a philosophical discussion, but when it comes to white characters, no discussion necessary, we know that white character is going to be the leader, the clever one, the morally righteous one, the alpha. You'll also see the opposite with white characters, but that's the point. You see all different kinds of white characters, but largely with the positive traits I just listed. Black characters? 99% of the time these days there's something going on, and if he's otherwise normal, he's going to be a double crossing, untrustworthy type like Lando was depicted or Carl Weathers in Predator etc.

Alot of also goes to PC culture wanting to avoid depicting black men like thugs, so they make them smart and studious and a good guy but, go so far overboard they turn him into a wimp and a borderline fakkit. It's not hard to make a strong, smart black character but, they probably won't do that for reasons that you've said.....can't have some strong black character emasculating the main white hero.

They also probably wanted to avoid the stereotypes of Asian males as well. Because historically they've been portrayed as weak effeminate men. I don't know. You know they weren't going to make the only white male in the movie the nerd though :pachaha: They should've just kept the original 5. 2 white guys. 1 asian chick. 1 white chick. 1 black dude. Got another Billy or made the asian girl the nerd and called it a day.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
It makes sense today, but in the OG show did they acknowledge that they had superpowers outside the ranger suits? I never remember them breaking sinks or running fast ala Clark Kent when they first became rangers...

Listen, this is a different inception of the series. A 2017 take on a series that came out in the 90s. Will it be 100% true to the series? Of course not. I like the powers outside of the suit thing.. Makes it seem more realistic if that makes any sense.

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
More like they cannot make the white boy the nerd. Gott upheld the white male image as the superstud who always get the p*ssy.

There was nothing racist about the black guy being the black ranger. I still can't believe my parents said the show was racist when I watched it like 25years ago.

No one will bat a eyelid if they cast the black man as the black ranger again. Where's all the keyboard casting warriors bytching about the race change?? They won't bytch because the black man will be the scary looser and the white man will be the superstud. Can't have a black man right next to the white man as the top LT, that's why they casted a Asian man as the number two.

It was a little racist making the black guy the Black Power ranger and the asian girl the Yellow Power ranger. They could've chosen any colors and they chose those :pachaha:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Day 1

Day 0 if possible lol.

I'm all in no matter what. Don't really mind Billy being the nerd/dork/comic relief either, but would have preferred if he was the suave cool guy like Zack was.

Plus to be real, if the black power ranger was c00ning it up being mad stereotypical and/or a violent, dumb savage we would be really pissed about it lol.

Really liked the trailer.

(they might use their Zords but i doubt it)

:rudy:

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
"There's more important things to worry about than black male representation in media..."

:mjlol:

Yea with this attitude we wouldn't have a Black Panther movie or a Luke Cage series. Or any progressive black representation in media past just the token negro who smiles in the background.

There's always something "more important" if you want to go down that path. And Luke Cage as a buff modern black dynamite isn't any more relatable than Batman as a billionaire martial artist or spider-man as a super powered "nerd" who fukks models and rich valley girls turned cat burglars. It all comes down to entertainment in escapism for the youth, and while there's no problem with a limp wristed black nerd or asexual best-black-friend or black guy who dies first in a horror movie or a light skinned black chick who gets to be the love interest over her dark-skinned counterparts... once that becomes a pattern, well.. then it does become 'important' enough to address. Even if there are "more important" things in the world. We can multitask.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
"There's more important things to worry about than black male representation in media..."

:mjlol:

Yea with this attitude we wouldn't have a Black Panther movie or a Luke Cage series. Or any progressive black representation in media past just the token negro who smiles in the background.

There's always something "more important" if you want to go down that path. And Luke Cage as a buff modern black dynamite isn't any more relatable than Batman as a billionaire martial artist or spider-man as a super powered "nerd" who fukks models and rich valley girls turned cat burglars. It all comes down to entertainment in escapism for the youth, and while there's no problem with a limp wristed black nerd or asexual best-black-friend or black guy who dies first in a horror movie or a light skinned black chick who gets to be the love interest over her dark-skinned counterparts... once that becomes a pattern, well.. then it does become 'important' enough to address. Even if there are "more important" things in the world. We can multitask.

I think what Marty is getting at is what's wrong with the black character being a nerd/geek and not tough?

Whether black folks like it or not, a large portion of our people are nerds who can't fight, get no girls/guys and are socially awkward. Many of these people feel ostracized by their own because they're told they're not really black due to not being "tough enough" or "cool enough" or "street enough". Then when these people date outside their race or harbor resentment towards their own they get called c00ns and sellouts.

shyt is lame AF and divisive. Blackness isn't a skintight, restrictive, latex body suit. It's a massive, expansive concept that covers a lot of hobbies, personality types, beliefs and cultures. And if you can't understand that, you're just regurgitating white supremacist rhetoric that holds us back to begin with.

Go drop your 10 bucks and support the young brother next March. Don't overthink the shyt. Black Panther gonna hold you down on the macho, suave, cool, alpha male tip real soon. Luke Cage has been doing it for a week now.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I think what Marty is getting at is what's wrong with the black character being a nerd/geek and not tough?
That's cool and all. What i'm getting at is what i said: there's no problem with it but once certain things become a pattern (like some of the tropes i outlined) it's important enough to address, even if there are bigger things in the entirety of the damn universe that need addressing. We weren't going to get a Black Panther for the macho, suave cool alpha male blah blah blah tip if people weren't making such a big push for it, and for him. Pretty much what Fiege from Marvel confirmed. So it sounds pretty lame and divisive to me, to undermine those who push for things like that when they see that its been lacking. Which, again, isn't to say it has to be one extreme across the board over the other.

i.e. we shouldn't shyt on a light skinned black actress being a love interest but i certainly understand why some black women were agitated when Storm was cast as a biracial chick, and why the argument should be made for more brown/dark skinned women being cast in lead/love interest roles... which led to Lupita in BP and Simone in Luke Cage.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
That's cool and all. What i'm getting at is what i said: there's no problem with it but once certain things become a pattern (like some of the tropes i outlined) it's important enough to address, even if there are bigger things in the entirety of the damn universe that need addressing. We weren't going to get a Black Panther for the macho, suave cool alpha male blah blah blah tip if people weren't making such a big push for it, and for him. Pretty much what Fiege from Marvel confirmed. So it sounds pretty lame and divisive to me, to undermine those who push for things like that when they see that its been lacking. Which, again, isn't to say it has to be one extreme across the board over the other.

i.e. we shouldn't shyt on a light skinned black actress being a love interest but i certainly understand why some black women were agitated when Storm was cast as a biracial chick, and why the argument should be made for more brown/dark skinned women being cast in lead/love interest roles... which led to Lupita in BP and Simone in Luke Cage.

I honestly don't recall a lot of socially awkward/nerdy black men in Hollywood movies. I can only think of Billy at the moment. I'm not a huge movie guy though. Ya'll got any more examples?

I definitely would NOT put Finn from Star Wars in the awkward/nerdy/soft category. He had his moments of fear but when it came time to step up he brandished a light saber twice and was ready to throw down - once against a storm trooper and then again vs a highly skilled sith prodigy.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
:ehh:
I honestly don't recall a lot of socially awkward/nerdy black men in Hollywood movies. I can only think of Billy at the moment. I'm not a huge movie guy though. Ya'll got any more examples?

I definitely would NOT put Finn from Star Wars in the awkward/nerdy/soft category. He had his moments of fear but when it came time to step up he brandished a light saber twice and was ready to throw down - once against a storm trooper and then again vs a highly skilled sith prodigy.
Wait till the next Star Wars :lolbron:

Get ready :lolbron:

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
I liked the trailer. However I thought they exaggerated the real life powers of the teens (especially with that headbutt scene :comeon:). Regardless I'm still watching this first day. :jawalrus:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I liked the trailer. However I thought they exaggerated the real life powers of the teens (especially with that headbutt scene :comeon:). Regardless I'm still watching this first day. :jawalrus:

Mannnnnn why though? What's wrong with them being so strong that regular humans can't even do physical harm to them?

As much as I adore power rangers, a vast majority of the source material outside of raw nostalgia would not work in modern day television for an adult audience - let alone for a movie.

So whatever they wanna do - give them super strength/luke cage invulnerability against regular humans, make them lovers, give them super leaping power - I'm cool with it. As long as it's 5 multi-racial young adults who kick ass, wear bad ass costumes, and pilot big ass robots, I'm all in, cuz that's all that we REALLY ever loved about power rangers growing up anyway :manny: