President of Morehouse College removed from post. What do you expect Trump to do with HBCU's?

Dark Horse

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The biggest issue is Morehouse was late to adjusting. If you gonna charge that much and whites aren't hiring Black men like that, you need to put them into two boxes. Potential entrepreneurs or in the fields where they got no choice but to hire Blacks like engineer or IT. It takes time but Wilson was really trying to make Morehouse MIT-lite but that's impossible. Most of those guys who go there want to be in liberal arts and it's very expensive and too selective considering the options of top students. I hope Morehouse gets great. Obama's fukkery fukk everyone's money up in terms of HBCU's.

Morehouse wasn't EVER gonna compete with MIT...shyt, back in the day, if you wanted to major in engineering, you had to do it through their dual degree program (I know GA Tech was one of the participating schools). The facilities are antiquated, the administrators have been/continue to be subpar, and you have 2nd/3rd rate faculty. Imagine getting an engineering degree where you don't have access to the tools and technology your peers are using...you're playing catch up with nothing to fall back on but a school's rep.

School leadership has lacked vision for 20+ years. They've dismissed every deficiency as nuance/tradition of HBCUs. The only real redeeming quality Morehouse has is filter feeding elite law schools.

You can't expect to sustain an endowment based upon alumni contributions when less graduates are getting jobs. Furthermore, why give back when the administration will probably mismanage it anyways? If anyone is gonna mismanage my money, it's gonna be me.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Morehouse wasn't EVER gonna compete with MIT...shyt, back in the day, if you wanted to major in engineering, you had to do it through their dual degree program (I know GA Tech was one of the participating schools). The facilities are antiquated, the administrators have been/continue to be subpar, and you have 2nd/3rd rate faculty. Imagine getting an engineering degree where you don't have access to the tools and technology your peers are using...you're playing catch up with nothing to fall back on but a school's rep.

School leadership has lacked vision for 20+ years. They've dismissed every deficiency as nuance/tradition of HBCUs. The only real redeeming quality Morehouse has is filter feeding elite law schools.

You can't expect to sustain an endowment based upon alumni contributions when less graduates are getting jobs. Furthermore, why give back when the administration will probably mismanage it anyways? If anyone is gonna mismanage my money, it's gonna be me.
This is the reality

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Trump towards HBCUs has always been a big concern of mine. It is rumored they dodged the bullet during Reagan but survived due to George HW Bush (whom Howard gave an honorary degree). We need to take care of our own since these cats will probably run the most racist administration since Woodrow Wilson.

We need to up alumni support and possibly merge some backoffice operations (finance, HR, IT) to gain efficiencies if their funding gets the axe.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

Damn.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Morehouse can't become a STEM hub like the elite STEM schools because they received billions of dollars to push the Cold War agenda for the US decades ago, and subsequently were fed by an increasingly elite group for decades, donating massive amounts, continuing to send the top children nation-wide, etc.
Morehouse would need to get the top-tier Black students worldwide, as well as make it more reasonable to go there.

Also, Obama cut HBCU funding? FACT SHEET: Obama Administration Investments in Historically Black Colleges and Universities | U.S. Department of Education

Dark Horse

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We need to take care of our own since these cats will probably run the most racist administration since Woodrow Wilson.

We need to up alumni support and possibly merge some backoffice operations (finance, HR, IT) to gain efficiencies if their funding gets the axe.

No we don't. Merging inefficient aspects of administration into a larger organization would just consolidate incompetence. The problem even there is that they've tried to get by doing the bare minimum staffing, as well as not giving them the software and infrastructure needed. Now that times are getting leaner, they're going to start getting rid of admin first, because they're the low hanging fruit.

Morehouse needs to modernize and figure out ways to engage alumni and stay relevant. For too long, they've been resting on their laurels, and as a result, they've become irrelevant. They've been doing god-knows-what with endowments for the longest time. I remember Dr. Walter Massey (a former Morehouse president) was turning around and donating money to the Republican party. And let's not forget, a lot of people that attended Morehouse in the past ~20 years are still saddled with student loan debt.

I've always said Morehouse could've reinvented itself 50 years ago by opening the campus up to everyone (males), but keeping tradition/history. Now that the facilities are antiquated...all they *can* do is sell people on the name. Even that pitch has to imply...we'll give you a great undergraduate degree so that you can go to a better school for grad/doctoral studies/med/law degrees.

But is it truly worth 160k, just for an undergrad degree?

You go get a master's/law/med/etc and you are looking at, at least $320k in debt.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
The biggest issue is Morehouse was late to adjusting. If you gonna charge that much and whites aren't hiring Black men like that, you need to put them into two boxes. Potential entrepreneurs or in the fields where they got no choice but to hire Blacks like engineer or IT. It takes time but Wilson was really trying to make Morehouse MIT-lite but that's impossible. Most of those guys who go there want to be in liberal arts and it's very expensive and too selective considering the options of top students. I hope Morehouse gets great. Obama's fukkery fukk everyone's money up in terms of HBCU's.

Morehouse isn't selective at all. Something like an 85% admit rate.

As long as you don't have a criminal record, can read and add/subtract, you should be able to get in if you are a Black male.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
HBCUs will be gone soon. Which is a shame. They may want to lower tuition rates for international African students

I've argued for the same thing.

HBCUs need an influx of wealthy Black students from Africa who will pay full price.

Catch is they'll be competing with Harvard, Stanford, Penn, etc for those same students!

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm over that way.

And as far as morehouse and Clark Atlanta, it's no secret they've been going through some things financially. The students here know this. The AC stopped working during midterms last semester. And yes they made it mandatory to stay on campus till your
Junior year and have a a meal plan all four years. (For no reason other than to get more $$)

It's a sad situation all around bc it's just too expensive.

You have professors who graduated from the AUC in the 90's who are still paying off their loans.
:francis::mjcry:
Women still enroll at spelman (at least from what I've seen) bc they want to attach themselves to that name. And they actually have nice facilities bc of donations.