Producer Article, Legal Advice for Producers

Dawunonli

Rookie
Daps
Full Article here, let me know what y'all think:
http://soundplug.net/paying-producers/

Earlier this year, DJ Pain 1 interviewed one of Wiz Khalifa’s go-to producers, E. Dan of ID Labs, who went into details with his experiences of properly getting paid for his contributions to projects. E. Dan explains that “They didn’t treat it like it was an album, which is just their way of not paying me a whole lot.”. This later opens the conversation within the producer community where fellow producers such as Sonny Digital, Rook of the J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and more detailed similar experiences with major labels.

So to help share insight for fellow producers who may be unfamiliar with the placement process, I decided to to interview an attorney from the New York City area named, Cassandra Spangler. Cassandra is an entertainment attorney who has been practicing law in NYC for more than 8 years, working in the music industry for nearly 20 years, and is a Professor of Music Business.

How do labels to avoid paying producers their appropriate rates?

Artists often sign record deals where they agree to receive a lower royalty for projects that are classified as “mixtapes” or “promotional” than they do for “albums.” Producers then sign agreements with artists where they agree to be paid under the same royalty terms as the artist is paid by the label, which results in the producer receiving a lower royalty rate for those projects as well.