Q: Can Malware jump from an infected PC to an Android smartphone?

Prince Cairo

Authentic
Daps
Reppin
Cairo, Egypt
Tech brehs, what do you know about this? :patrice:

I transferred some music from an older laptop onto my smartphone a few weeks back. Come to find out that laptop has a bug. I figured not a big deal because we're talking two completely different platforms.

Now, every once in a while, I'll be on my phone's browser and I'll randomly get a very suspicious pop-up tap asking me to follow this link and shyt. Oddly enough, I've only ever seen that page come up when I'm browsing Thecoli.com.

I've read that a factory reset will remove any malicious software, but I'm hoping I don't need to do that. I've installed the free AVG android app and run periodic scans but they come back all clear.

And guidance would be immensely appreciated and rewarded in the form of +rep :thumbsup:

All Star
Daps
You can transfer malware to your phone, but it doesn't mean it can do anything if it wasn't coded for Android.

Those redirects you are getting are from ads.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
Different OS. A piece of code that works on Windows 10 won't work on Android. It is possible for your router to be infected though (but doubt that's the case)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Tech brehs, what do you know about this? :patrice:

I transferred some music from an older laptop onto my smartphone a few weeks back. Come to find out that laptop has a bug. I figured not a big deal because we're talking two completely different platforms.

Now, every once in a while, I'll be on my phone's browser and I'll randomly get a very suspicious pop-up tap asking me to follow this link and shyt. Oddly enough, I've only ever seen that page come up when I'm browsing Thecoli.com.

I've read that a factory reset will remove any malicious software, but I'm hoping I don't need to do that. I've installed the free AVG android app and run periodic scans but they come back all clear.

And guidance would be immensely appreciated and rewarded in the form of +rep :thumbsup:
:what:nikka that's like asking if a Windows desktop app can work on your Android phone. HELL NO!

Prince Cairo

Authentic
Daps
Reppin
Cairo, Egypt
:yeshrug:

Caved and did a factory reset anyway. Problem seems to be gone now.

Is that ad issue a common problem around here?

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1. Get a malwarebytes subscription
2. Depends on the type of malware

Yes there is malware (technically a computer worm) that can detect external connections on a pwned bx and could transfer itself to the other device.

Based off of the context, thats not your issue.

More of thecoli owners being bytch ass nikkas allowing any and all ad redirecets

Get some sort of ad blocker to deal with the issue.