Q-Tip to teach NYU music course that will examine the intersection of jazz and hip-hop

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Q-Tip.jpg

A Tribe Called Quest’s Q-Tip will join NYU‘s Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music this fall to co-teach a course on the intersection of jazz and hip-hop, according to the university (via the Boombox). The seven-class schedule will cover artists like Public Enemy, the Roots, Lauryn Hill, and Kendrick Lamar. Students will also receive “in-class and out-of-class assignments under Q-Tip’s mentorship” that focus on performance, composition, and production. “I couldn’t be more excited to share with the students what I know and I look forward to them also teaching me,” Q-Tip said in a press release. “Teaching is an exchange of sharing and receiving for all involved.”

A Tribe Called Quest recently released their “final” video. It was for their We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service track “The Space Program,” and it featured appearances from Erykah Badu, Vince Staples, Pharrell, and Common. We got it from Here came out in 2016.