'Quark Fusion' Produces Eight Times More Energy Than Nuclear Fusion

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
This new source of energy, according to researchers Marek Karliner and Jonathan Rosner, comes from the fusion of subatomic particles known as quarks. These particles are usually produced as a result of colliding atoms that move at high speeds within the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), where these component parts split from their parent atoms. It doesn't stop there, however, as these disassociated quarks also tend to collide with one another and fuse into particles called baryons. It is this fusion of quarks that Karliner and Rosner focused on, as they found that this fusion is capable of producing energy even greater than what's produced in hydrogen fusion. In particular, they studied how fused quarks configure into what's called a doubly-charmed baryon. Fusing quarks require 130 MeV to become doubly-charmed baryons, which, in turn, releases energy that's 12 MeV more energy. Turning their calculations to heavier bottom quarks, which need 230 MeV to fuse, they found that a resulting baryon could produce approximately 138 MeV of net energy -- about eight times more than what hydrogen fusion releases.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At this point I feel like they're just making this shyt up.

Scientists in the back room talking about "ok guys...lemme know what you think...i'm going to call them..get this...I got the Science reporter from the Times on hold....what should we call this newfound discovery thats going to magically change the world?...charmed baryons...yeah thats it..."

*from across the room*
"wait wait wait...hold on (contains laughter)...ok ok im good...what's better than charmed baryons?"

(no response)

"DOUBLY CHARMED BARYONS"

HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzIvMTQwMjE1NC9zY2llbnRpc3RzLWxhdWdoaW5nLW8uZ2lm.gif

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
As far as I can tell, this still uses more energy than it produces for a sustained period of time, therefore, it is of no practical use in the near future.

I mean, what are they gonna do: Build a few more LHC's as power-plants? Use even more non-renewable energy to create non-sustainable power?

Not gonna happen.​

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Does it need to be sustainable to make a quark fusion bomb? Asking for a friend.

is your friend north korean by any chance?

the article touches that issue, although i dont think their reason for saying you cant make a bomb makes it impossible to make a quark bomb

Karliner and Rosner were initially hesitant to publish their findings, partly because they were surprised by them but mostly because hydrogen fusion is what powers hydrogen bombs. However, their fears that this quark fusion could be weaponized soon fizzled out as they realized in subsequent experiments that quarks exist only for about one picosecond. That’s too short a time to create a chain reaction to set off more baryons, as the quarks quickly decay into less volatile, lighter quarks.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
None of y'all ever read a comic book by the name of Nexus? Probably not. Came out in the late 80's - early 90's.

Had a whole series on something akin to this where a Terran scientific community tried to harness the energy from a Black Hole to address energy needs........they ended-up destroying about three solar systems.

:whoa: