Question about car titles

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Sohh I recently purchased a car from a friend of mine. He gave me the title and all the other documents...but the title isn't in my name. He's going to the military for basic training this week. I eventually plan on transferring the title when he gets back in February though.

My question is..will anything happen to me if I drive it without the title being in my name?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Sohh I recently purchased a car from a friend of mine. He gave me the title and all the other documents...but the title isn't in my name. He's going to the military for basic training this week. I eventually plan on transferring the title when he gets back in February though.

My question is..will anything happen to me if I drive it without the title being in my name?
If he sold the car to you, did he give you a bill of sale? Or sign the title over to you? There's a section on titles where one can sign over a car to a buyer.
If so, you can take that bill of sale and/or title to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and register the car. When you do that, the title will get transferred and you will received a new title.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
If he sold the car to you, did he give you a bill of sale? Or sign the title over to you? There's a section on titles where one can sign over a car to a buyer.
If so, you can take that bill of sale and/or title to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and register the car. When you do that, the title will get transferred and you will received a new title.
Nah he didnt sign it over to me. He hasnt left yet though..i can still get him to sign

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Nah he didnt sign it over to me. He hasnt left yet though..i can still get him to sign
Okay. Try to get a bill of sale too with his hand signature.

I, <seller's name>, have sold this <car's year make, model>, VIN: <car's VIN>, on <date of sale> to <buyer's name> for $<amount of sale> AS IS.
<seller's signature>

Example:
I, Bob Smith, have sold this 1991 Toyota Corolla DX, VIN:JDPSDF23N34214, on November 1, 2015 to Fred Avery for $1,000 AS IS.
Signed,
<seller's signature>

It can be hand-written or typed.
Sometimes, there is a form from the DMV's website that looks more formal.

Just so you know, if he died by accident, you would not be the owner of the car and never be able to be the owner of the car. The money you gave him would be all lost.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Okay. Try to get a bill of sale too with his hand signature.

I, <seller's name>, have sold this <car's year make, model>, VIN: <car's VIN>, on <date of sale> to <buyer's name> for $<amount of sale> AS IS.
<seller's signature>

Example:
I, Bob Smith, have sold this 1991 Toyota Corolla DX, VIN:JDPSDF23N34214, on November 1, 2015 to Fred Avery for $1,000 AS IS.
Signed,
<seller's signature>

It can be hand-written or typed.
Sometimes, there is a form from the DMV's website that looks more formal.

Just so you know, if he died by accident, you would not be the owner of the car and never be able to be the owner of the car. The money you gave him would be all lost.

So I should be good if I happen to get stopped by a police officer?

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
:wtf: are you fukkin 16?

Have him notarize and sign the title before you drive the car, a monetary transaction doesn't transfer ownership... legally it's not your car.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
do not drive the vehicle I repeat do not drive the vehicle

:lupe:

:wtf: are you fukkin 16?

Have him notarize and sign the title before you drive the car, a monetary transaction doesn't transfer ownership... legally it's not your car.

I'm 21 :beli:

It was a really spur of the moment thing. Like I said earlier I can still get him to sign it before he leaves. I was clueless about this shyt which is why I asked in the first place :francis:

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
I'm 21 :beli:

It was a really spur of the moment thing. Like I said earlier I can still get him to sign it before he leaves. I was clueless about this shyt which is why I asked in the first place :francis:

Apologies for my abrasive comment earlier.

As someone else pointed out, it really a bad idea to drive it without transferring ownership, you're driving somebody else's vehicle and if you get pulled over... Well you know the story, and do you really want to spend a night or two in jail while PD tired to get a hold of your friend in the military to verify the car is not hot?

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
He signed the title over to me today and I got a hand written bill of sale too...thanks for the help :salute: