Question For Boxing Afficianados

HTXBreh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
I spent most of my teenage years practicing Kung fu and didn't really move into boxing /mma until my mid 20s.I also never competed in the amateurs.I typed all this to say I'm trying to understand how someone like Ryan Garcia who is a highly decorated amateur could become a pro and not be a complete fighter or guts like Wilder and Big Baby be Olympians with no toolbox.
Is there a problem with the American amateur system that doesn't translate to the pros?I had already been informed that Cuban boxing while great for the Olympics wasn't a pro style and that our boxing wasn't really made for taking gold.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I spent most of my teenage years practicing Kung fu and didn't really move into boxing /mma until my mid 20s.I also never competed in the amateurs.I typed all this to say I'm trying to understand how someone like Ryan Garcia who is a highly decorated amateur could become a pro and not be a complete fighter or guts like Wilder and Big Baby be Olympians with no toolbox.
Is there a problem with the American amateur system that doesn't translate to the pros?I had already been informed that Cuban boxing while great for the Olympics wasn't a pro style and that our boxing wasn't really made for taking gold.
amateur system is made for scoring points not KOs...it never was made for the pros in the way you are thinking only to provide a foundation for a move into a pro game

there are great amateurs that washed out in the pros and great pros that werent great or good amateurs

HTXBreh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
amateur system is made for scoring points not KOs...it never was made for the pros in the way you are thinking only to provide a foundation for a move into a pro game

there are great amateurs that washed out in the pros and great pros that werent great or good amateurs
It seems like every all time great had a good amateur career though