Question For Boxing Afficianados

HTXBreh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
I spent most of my teenage years practicing Kung fu and didn't really move into boxing /mma until my mid 20s.I also never competed in the amateurs.I typed all this to say I'm trying to understand how someone like Ryan Garcia who is a highly decorated amateur could become a pro and not be a complete fighter or guts like Wilder and Big Baby be Olympians with no toolbox.
Is there a problem with the American amateur system that doesn't translate to the pros?I had already been informed that Cuban boxing while great for the Olympics wasn't a pro style and that our boxing wasn't really made for taking gold.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I spent most of my teenage years practicing Kung fu and didn't really move into boxing /mma until my mid 20s.I also never competed in the amateurs.I typed all this to say I'm trying to understand how someone like Ryan Garcia who is a highly decorated amateur could become a pro and not be a complete fighter or guts like Wilder and Big Baby be Olympians with no toolbox.
Is there a problem with the American amateur system that doesn't translate to the pros?I had already been informed that Cuban boxing while great for the Olympics wasn't a pro style and that our boxing wasn't really made for taking gold.
amateur system is made for scoring points not KOs...it never was made for the pros in the way you are thinking only to provide a foundation for a move into a pro game

there are great amateurs that washed out in the pros and great pros that werent great or good amateurs

HTXBreh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
amateur system is made for scoring points not KOs...it never was made for the pros in the way you are thinking only to provide a foundation for a move into a pro game

there are great amateurs that washed out in the pros and great pros that werent great or good amateurs
It seems like every all time great had a good amateur career though

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
It seems like every all time great had a good amateur career though

It’s the norm but there’s exceptions. Salvador Sanchez, Antonio Cervantes, and Julio Cesar Chavez, for example, had very limited amateur careers.

Among American fighters, Sonny Liston and Dwight Qawi learned to box in prison, and had limited amateur careers. Bernard Hopkins had all his amateur fights as a kid I think, and then went back to boxing in prison after many years away from the sport. :flabbynsick: didn’t have a decorated amateur career.

Amateur styles/rules are more point oriented. There are going to be some that are able to translate to the pros, but some that don’t.

If someone trains an amateur boxer whom they know has real potential to be a world class pro, it’s probably best to make sure they take the good stuff from it (experience, good fundamentals/technique, work ethic, etc…) and not fall too much into the amateur style. They might be too used to having shorter fights, or might get burned out from too many amateur fights.

Terry Norris and Donald Curry had reported 300-400 amateur fights each. They were really good pros (HOF) but declined fast and are brain damaged now. I’m sure there were many other reasons, but the number of amateur fights surely didn’t help.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Terry Norris and Donald Curry had reported 300-400 amateur fights each. They were really good pros (HOF) but declined fast and are brain damaged now. I’m sure there were many other reasons, but the number of amateur fights surely didn’t help.
terry loved to fight and go full throttle in sparring even with his cruiserweight brother orlin...thats what got him damaged

not a fan of his but ill give lomachenko all the credit in the world for being a quick study to the pro game even with his 400 amateur fights...throwing him in that early with salido was crazy even with the WSB stuff...but he learned quick and was able to apply in his next fight to beat gary russ and to have a good pro career...same thing you wish that can be said about rigo smh

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

HTXBreh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
300-400 fights is crazy I assume nobody dies that anymore?What is you guys opinion on the new rules that allow pros to go back to the Olympics. Yall know Keyshawn competing at Tokyo right?

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
terry loved to fight and go full throttle in sparring even with his cruiserweight brother orlin...thats what got him damaged

not a fan of his but ill give lomachenko all the credit in the world for being a quick study to the pro game even with his 400 amateur fights...throwing him in that early with salido was crazy even with the WSB stuff...but he learned quick and was able to apply in his next fight to beat gary russ and to have a good pro career...same thing you wish that can be said about rigo smh
What you talking about?

Rigo obliterated Nonito Donaire. Literally embarrassed him like he was a sub par talent.

Rigo had a peculiar pro career, ill grant that, but he adjusted to the pro boxing machinations when he needed to. Problem is he didn't want to all the time.

*side note. Why don't you like Lomachencko? Because people say he beat your guy Haney?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
What you talking about?

Rigo obliterated Nonito Donaire. Literally embarrassed him like he was a sub par talent.

Rigo had a peculiar pro career, ill grant that, but he adjusted to the pro boxing machinations when he needed to. Problem is he didn't want to all the time.

*side note. Why don't you like Lomachencko? Because people say he beat your guy Haney?
You just answered your own question on Rigo

And you have to understand ive been on here from jump lol.. Haney has nothing to do with me not liking lomachenko...this goes back a whole decade

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
You just answered your own question on Rigo

And you have to understand ive been on here from jump lol.. Haney has nothing to do with me not liking lomachenko...this goes back a whole decade
That's fair.

Not sure what being on a forum from the jump has to do with not liking Lomachenko though?

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
im prolly the first lomachenko detractor on here lol...since his debut...not a fan of his style to sum up
Fair enough.

That's an interesting perspective, considering you're a fan of Haney (as am I btw.)?

I mean he doesn't have a fan friendly style at all, clinches, pivots off the ropes, clinches, accumulates with the jab etc.

You're entitled to an opinion though.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps

James Toney also. His training plan probably consisted of 10 minutes of roadwork, 5 rounds total on the bags and pads, and spend the rest of the day sparring and eating hamburgers.