R&B and Soul is the secret kryptonite to Hip Hop culture vultures

Discussion in 'The Rafters' started by trillanova, Jul 12, 2018.

1. trillanova

trillanova All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

If you didn't come up listening to r&b and soul music...you're probably not a legit hip hop head

I've actually been meaning to make this thread for a long time. I'm just as much of an R&B head as I am a Hip Hop head and was really more heavily into r&b first as a kid. When I was younger around 6-10, I loved all the dope r&b from the late 80s and early to mid 90s. I'm willing to say right here that the r&b of the 90s is superior to the hip hop of the 90s, but that's a whole different debate. I didn't get into Hip Hop seriously until I was 11, but my musical roots are in soul and r&b. I think most 80s babies with black mother's and father's can probably relate.

Matter of fact, if you didn't have your roots in soul and r&b prior to transitioning fully into hip hop, you probably didn't get into hip hop organically and used it as a crutch to be cool or hide the fact you're a dweeb as a late teen or young adult (yes you Rosenberg)

Hip hop and r&b/soul are really like younger brother and older sister especially when you're talking about the 80s and 90s. a lot of cats like to claim hip hop hard, but i'm wary of them if they don't know they lyrics to "Let's Chill" by Guy, "I miss you" by Aaron Hall, "Night & Day" by Al B Sure or "Before I let you go" by Blackstreet. Or even the stuff before that like "love come down" by Evelyn "Champagne" King." if you can't at least hum Tony Terry "When i'm with you" or something by Stephanie Mills right now...you are not hip hop.

A prime example is a dude like Rosenberg. He goes so hard and prides himself on knowing 90s hip hop and thinking he's connected with the culture, but probably couldn't tell you the lyrics to "Forever My Lady" or "You Remind Me" by MJB. He hides his vulture status with stats, facts and history but without any r&b mentions EVER, he's exposed as being disconnected from hip hop. They're like super factual on ATCQ, De La Soul, Nas, Wu-Tang and others...even debating you accurately....

but if you put on something like this...

or this

or this

they'd be lost as fukk....even though the history creation and collaborations are all intertwined especially during these eras. They didn't come up in it so they think hip hop was some separate shyt....no soul or groove at all but will try to lecture you to death. Never once heard their mom wake the whole house up on a Saturday morning to clean blasting this

or this

or this

or even further back

They won't know ONE SONG.
    :hhh:

That's why I really think the industry annihilated r&b out the picture because it's not something they can easily emulate debate or discuss because it's not something you just discover on your own. You're brought up in it and that's what led a lot of us into hip hop/rap. It was Mary who christened Reasonable Doubt and allowed Hov' to ride in on Can't Knock The Hustle so smoothly. Nas was known as one of the dopest MCs but it wasn't until Lauryn blessed him with her vocals on If I Ruled The World that he hit that next level of notoriety. If we're keeping it 1000 Biggie really became that nikka when nikkas saw he bagged Faith.

:yeshrug:

Hip Hop and r&b have always had a symbiotic relationship and the absence of r&b has been detrimental to the culture. There's a level of talent and a standard that r&b HAS to hold that hip hop would keep parallel too. One would always check the other.
    Imagine if you had r&b singers today that were Lil Pump or Lil Uzi status :mjgrin:
    You couldn't be looking dusty and dirty and not know how to sing :picard:

But it's okay for nikkas to come in and not know how to rap? :gucci:

How would that even work? It wouldn't. And because We don't have r&b talent as a reflection of the standard we should be holding to hip hop...we're losing. The culture vultures eradicated and prevented r&b from joining the mainstream with hip hop on purpose. It was always supposed to be the two genres together as a force. now it's no soul, no groove, no swing, no real dancing (besides breezy) and cacs can easily come in and just rap. they don't have to have any r&b counterparts so we can see they don't really have what we have. they took one and diminished the other because they knew they couldn't really do it.

So yeah, as much as I love hip hop, r&b/soul is the OG to the culture and really the only way you can show me how you as a listener came in organically. artists aren't the only culture vultures, listeners are too. trying to come in and talk about this shyt...wanna study it at Harvard or Yale but never heard of Frankie Beverly & Maze. This is how you prove Hip Hop is a culture and it's not just hip hop alone.

b-b-b-b- I know Marvin Gaye and Earth Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson and Rick James
    :camby:
    everybody knows their shyt. fukk outta here

If you JUST started at Hip Hop...you don't know shyt. I don't give a fukk how many times you listened to Midnight Marauders, 36 Chambers, illmatic or how well you know the Duck Down roster or your fukking Sean P T-Shirt. fukk you. If you never had to break up a fight with your female cousins over who was singing Monica or Brandy's part on The Boy Is Mine or try to hear grown folks business over The Isley Brother's after being sent to your room...you ain't Hip Hop. You a plant too.

:umad:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. SmokyQuartz

SmokyQuartz Young Skull

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Chicago, IL
    Coli Cash:
    $400.00

How you gonna go through 90s R&B classics and leave this gem out :wow:

3. Doctor Wily

Doctor Wily CapcomSwag

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100.00

Dapping you off the strength of the thread title BUT you should've spreaded/broken up a lot of that writting into multiple posts.

:salute:

4. Jasonmask

Jasonmask All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

This is difference of black and non black listeners of hip hop tbh

5. ReasonableMatic

ReasonableMatic ................................

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $250015.00

Repped :wow:
    Growin up with moms playin throwback R&B/Soul in the house :ohlawd:
    [​IMG]

6. NigerianDonDada

NigerianDonDada FFOE

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Lagos (Da Jungle)
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

thread is too real :salute: Being a R&B head myself I always say that most of these white vultures don't know a damn thing about that soulful R&B records from the 70s,80s,90s all the way to the early to mid 2000s. It's like it doesn't even exist to them outside of the records that really blew up mainstream-wise (Top 10 Billboard charts) . Sometimes when I watch UnSung episodes, old Soul Train performances, 80s & 90s and early 2000s videos I just :mjcry: we had it good. A lot of those records were soundtracks to our lives for many of us.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Sankofa Alwayz, #1 pick, TEH and 81 others dapped this.
  7. JoseLuisGotcha

JoseLuisGotcha Aka Allhiphopsux

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
    Coli Cash:
    $375300.00

Man I was in middle school in the mid 90's the perfect age to have that puppy love ...writing notes to girls....going to the skating rink and going out for "couple skates only"...making mix tapes/cds .....playing sports and seeing your crush in the stands or cheerleading....all the while this golden era of music is the sound track to your life for all of that! I feel so blessed! :blessed:

8. Stir Fry

Stir Fry Cookin' bacon in a bulletproof apron Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The arts and proletariats
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

Bus hopping with jodeci spinning in the discman. Couldn't tell me nothing :wow:

9. Pit Bull

Pit Bull GATOR

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Crenshaw Mafia
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Beautiful thread.

Just last night I came across a page on IG called @thisdayinhiphop page had 89k followers and another page which I assume is ran by the same people called @thisdayinr&b only had like 7k followers. It's clear that r and b is nonblack repellent.

10. frush11

frush11 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $344500.00

I agree with you, but Rosenberg isn't the person to used as the example.

I know his dj and music beginnings, I've listen to dude since his college radio days, and he's not this back pack hip-hop nerd your make him out to be. He may have taken on this role. But Peter know his shiit.

śïñe•qúå_nøn and feelosofer dapped this.
  11. Sbp

Sbp Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    New Orleans
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Best thread on the forum in a while breh Rnb is a huge part of my musical experience. Op you a real one :salute:

12. Sbp

Sbp Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    New Orleans
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Going to follow that rnb page right now

Cabbage Patch, bnew, rlg and 2 others dapped this.
  13. Jasonmask

Jasonmask All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Yeah that sending notes shyt ended in the early 2000s for me in middle school it was good times :mjcry:

Flu Game502, bnew, malbaker86 and 4 others dapped this.
  14. TheDream

TheDream Banned

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $165000.00

There should be an RNB sub.

rlg, Sankofa Alwayz, shawn218 and 10 others dapped this.
  15. Stir Fry

Stir Fry Cookin' bacon in a bulletproof apron Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The arts and proletariats
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

The Lounge