Race Relations in Military

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
House Inquiry Rebukes Coast Guard for Bullying and Harassment

This is one of many articles about a black, gay, female at the Coast Guard academy who was experienced hazing and discrimination from 2015-2019. The entire Inspector General Report is available online with the names blocked out. I met her in 2016, and also had a situation that lasted about a year at another unit.

She finally "won" her case, where the Coast Guard privately told her that her claims were substantiated, and she was in fact a victim. But despite this they did not publicly acknowledge they were wrong. When the House called on the Commandant to testify in response to these claims, he didnt show up:francis:

The whole thing is a mess. They named Admirals who saw the report, and willingly didnt follow up on it, yet nobody has been reprimanded to this day. No one has been relieved of their command, no one has been disciplined etc.

Thought id share. I had never been exposed to this (i was in atlanta before i joined) and never really had any meaningful interactions with white people. And i came from a pretty religious background where its alot of pandering and turning the other cheek. Im not on some Huey Newton/Malcolm X status but this experience definitely changed me

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
House Inquiry Rebukes Coast Guard for Bullying and Harassment

This is one of many articles about a black, gay, female at the Coast Guard academy who was experienced hazing and discrimination from 2015-2019. The entire Inspector General Report is available online with the names blocked out. I met her in 2016, and also had a situation that lasted about a year at another unit.

She finally "won" her case, where the Coast Guard privately told her that her claims were substantiated, and she was in fact a victim. But despite this they did not publicly acknowledge they were wrong. When the House called on the Commandant to testify in response to these claims, he didnt show up:francis:

The whole thing is a mess. They named Admirals who saw the report, and willingly didnt follow up on it, yet nobody has been reprimanded to this day. No one has been relieved of their command, no one has been disciplined etc.

Thought id share. I had never been exposed to this (i was in atlanta before i joined) and never really had any meaningful interactions with white people. And i came from a pretty religious background where its alot of pandering and turning the other cheek. Im not on some Huey Newton/Malcolm X status but this experience definitely changed me

I got respect for every breh in the military but I don't fully believe its as much of a "band of brothers" as they would have you believe.

Lots of opportunity and skills to learn there but we ain't never gonna be given the chance to be the head of the table there...

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I got respect for every breh in the military but I don't fully believe its as much of a "band of brothers" as they would have you believe.

Lots of opportunity and skills to learn there but we ain't never gonna be given the chance to be the head of the table there...
I feel it. To be fair, a lot of brehs say they’ve had a good ride while they were in, and I had a few good moments too. But we’ll never really be accepted. That’s just how it is

It’s pretty much a guarantee you’ll be in the middle class after your stint is over, and a lot of us capitalize on the opportunities. But I’ll tell anyone, if my kids have to go into the military after I did my time I’ll feel like I failed as a father.

Personally I feel like you gotta play your cards right after coming out of there

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I feel it. To be fair, a lot of brehs say they’ve had a good ride while they were in, and I had a few good moments too. But we’ll never really be accepted. That’s just how it is

It’s pretty much a guarantee you’ll be in the middle class after your stint is over, and a lot of us capitalize on the opportunities. But I’ll tell anyone, if my kids have to go into the military after I did my time I’ll feel like I failed as a father.

Personally I feel like you gotta play your cards right after coming out of there

I do a lot of government contracting and the most successful military brehs I know tend to venture into the contracting world or the government sector getting a middle to upper class salary and barely working lol.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I do a lot of government contracting and the most successful military brehs I know tend to venture into the contracting world or the government sector getting a middle to upper class salary and barely working lol.
I can’t speak on the contracting but for the active duty side, when we work we work hard. Some O4-O5s work 12 hour days 5-6 day’s a week:merchant:and they’re not really considered operational. At that point you’re just the guy moving the chess pieces around. But when it’s slow we just sit back collecting a check:pachaha:

I got into the entrepreneurial space, best decision I ever could have made:wow:in a way, having the white mans foot on my neck put me in a position where ima make more than if I was a Division Chief it Department Head.