Racial Stereotyping of Gay Men

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Professor Tommy Curry posted this on Facebook today and I thought that it was interesting.

Redirecting

It's a recent study that delves into the idea that essentially homosexual racialized groups of men (ie non-white homosexuals) tend to be viewed less like the group they are a part of and more closely to whiteness. In other words a homosexual black male tends to be perceived as less aggressive, violent, criminal, etc, than a heterosexual male.

Here is an section from the PDF that was posted. (I don't have the PDF but you can pay $35.00 for access):

"we examine whether men who are described as gay (vs. not) become de-racialized in the minds of perceivers. That is, we test whether gay (vs. non-gay) men are perceived as less stereotypic of their own racial or ethnic groups. Results consistently support the de-racialization hypothesis, regardless of whether targets are Black, White, Asian, or Hispanic. Moreover, when Black and Hispanic men are described as gay (vs. not), they become stereotypically 'Whitened' in addition to seeming less stereotypic of their own racial groups. This “Whitening” effect is explained by Black and Hispanic men's seeming more affluent when described as gay (vs. when not), an effect that holds even when controlling for changes in these men's stereotypic femininity. Collectively, these findings underscore the point that race and sexual orientation are not orthogonal in the minds of perceivers. A minority sexual orientation can alter the racial characteristics ascribed to men, reducing the perceived presence of race-typical traits and, for low-SES men, increasing their perceived 'Whiteness.' "

Any thoughts?

Supper

All Star
Daps
Example of a real world manifestation of this

Study reveals that straight black men receive more discrimination in hiring and salary recommendation than gay black men, while gay white men receive more discrimination than straight white men.
Unmasking Black Gay Privilege | HuffPost

The literature shows that the masculinity of black gay men is often feminized in popular culture, thereby reducing the impact of traditional black male stereotypes and serving as a counter, sometimes beneficial, stereotype. Within companies, black gay privilege carries a tacit obligation and expectation that one’s gayness trumps ones blackness in affairs with the company. In this sense, black gay men are paid to be compliant.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Example of a real world manifestation of this

Study reveals that straight black men receive more discrimination in hiring and salary recommendation than gay black men, while gay white men receive more discrimination than straight white men.
Unmasking Black Gay Privilege | HuffPost

I find it all very interesting that there seems to be a great deal of information confirming these ideas but it doesn't seem to get discussed often or in a very serious manner. It seems any time you bring this up it's immediately thrown out as some form of homophobia when it appears to be another manifestation of racism/white supremacy and it's complex hierarchical structure.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
I was thinking something random af today..do they have sex ed for "gay/transgender" kids? Who teaches them about properly having anal sex?
:jbhmm:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
From what I've heard though there is a lot of racism in the gay community.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
From what I've heard though there is a lot of racism in the gay community.

True but I think part of what they are getting at is that there is a racial hierarchy and whites view non-white homesexuals potentially higher in that hierarchy in comparison to their heterosexual counterparts.