Rail Unions Warn of Unsafe Working Conditions in Labor Negotiations; Train Derailments Follow (East Palestine, Houston, Etc)

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Does this happen if a democrat is not in office?
Just like when Trump bytch ass let the gov budget expire and damn near had the entire country come to a halt with the FAA just a day away from shutting down its airspace because republicans wanted to be clowns and government employees not being paid for over a month..

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Well that’s my point about posters like @mastermind who constantly criticize the democrats in office as if they’re the problem
This thread has nothing to do with the democrats except for Biden admin negotiating an agreement with the union head. What is wrong with you weirdos?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Well that’s my point about posters like @mastermind who constantly criticize the democrats in office as if they’re the problem
I get that some issues are complicated or can help people at the expense of pissing a bunch of others off. But this one was a layup. Dems embracing labor has always seems to work out well for them. I'd be critical if they dropped the ball here, but from my perspective, these are exactly the issues where Biden can draw an easy distinction between himself and Republicans. Especially for skeptical progressives, though I think by and large progressives believe Dems are better than Republicans but still have work to do.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I get that some issues are complicated or can help people at the expense of pissing a bunch of others off. But this one was a layup. Dems embracing labor has always seems to work out well for them. I'd be critical if they dropped the ball here, but from my perspective, these are exactly the issues where Biden can draw an easy distinction between himself and Republicans. Especially for skeptical progressives, though I think by and large progressives believe Dems are better than Republicans but still have work to do.
A lot of progressives don’t see a difference between Dems and republicans and think Dems are in the way of substantial change

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
A lot of progressives don’t see a difference between Dems and republicans and think Dems are in the way of substantial change
There are progressives that think that way, but they're far from the majority of progressives.

The progressive mindset is typically to focus on the issue and give props when officials land on the right side of them. But be critical when they aren't. There's not an electoral calculation there, mainly because for the past couple of decades there wasn't much legislative power to lefty politics. They've been using ground up strategies (activism, mutual aid, etc) to make up deficits instead. But as Dems move more toward empowering leftist groups (Labor included), I think the ability to get non-voting progressives back into the fold.

sidenote: this doesn't apply for people who pump rightwing agit-prop while claiming leftism. But that's a case where I think their own audiences are predominantly rightwing to begin with.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Jim Mathews, CEO of the Rail Passengers Association, which advocates for train riders, credited the Biden administration with pushing to complete a deal. Labor Secretary Marty Walsh hosted about 20 hours of talks and President Biden called in to talk with negotiators Wednesday evening.
I guess we can give Democrats credit for this.

We can also answer that dumbass question about where is Marty Walsh.

Pro labor Joe got the usual suspects yelling at the clouds. :Okayjack:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
My issue with DEms is that they haven't embraced labor when it was right there.

Biden is doing way more than a Dem president have done since LBJ.

For me tho, supporting unions, labor, and wanting better conditions for the working class isn't political, its decency. It can cross over, but things should be on the terms of the worker and not politicians.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
My issue with DEms is that they haven't embraced labor when it was right there.

Biden is doing way more than a Dem president have done since LBJ.

For me tho, supporting unions, labor, and wanting better conditions for the working class isn't political, its decency. It can cross over, but things should be on the terms of the worker and not politicians.

Yeah I feel that for sure. I think that's where a lot of the disconnects on this board are.

Policy can aim to help the most people or have the most voter impact. Those two ideas can overlap, but they don't always do that (Pandemic-related policies are a good example where there were conflicts). Then there starts to be a calculation of "how far can we help more people with dubious electoral consequences before we lose so many seats that Republicans run amok and blow up any progress."

I think how much people are willing to take electoral risks comes down to how much value they put in electoral success vs practical success in areas like public health or general well-being. Then it gets further complicated by the fact that progressives believe that you can make up lost votes by the new ones you pick up moving left and neolibs don't trust those voters to turnout.