Raising the Stakes: America's Growing Sports Gambling Addiction

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Picture27-1.png

So, apparently last month’s main section “A Lack of Pretense That Any of This shyt Does Anything or Will Ever Do Anything”…was quite a doozy. I’ve been writing these for a long time so I think I have a decent sense of when I write something above or below the average of all the monthlies I’ve written previously. And I knew the one last month was a good one when I wrote it. But even I underestimated how much “A Lack of Pretense…” was going to strike a chord with folks. Because when I turned the main section into a tweet thread, it went properly viral – 2k+ bookmarks, 500k+ views. Big numbers for content that meaty. But it wasn’t just the raw numbers of the response, it was the qualitative characteristics of the response. The thesis REALLY resonated with people. I received many dozens of responses through numerous avenues (Twitter comments, reposts, DMs, Telegrams, text, email, podcasts). By my estimate:

• 80% of the response was strong agreement (with varying levels of begrudgingness);
  • 10% was “you don’t know what you’re talking about”; and
  • 10% was some form of pushback/disagreement (with varying levels of thoughtfulness).
I did two podcasts in the weeks that followed unpacking the thesis further – you can listen/watch here and here.

Probably the topic within the thesis that garnered the most discussion was the concept of “financial nihilism” – the idea that cost of living is strangling most Americans; that upward mobility opportunity is out of reach for increasingly more people; that the American Dream is mostly a thing of the past; and that median home prices divided by median income is at a completely untenable level. You can click this link and spend 10 mins scrolling through the mentions of “financial nihilism” on Twitter over the last few weeks. It would be 10 minutes well spent.

Given how much discussion this concept sparked and how deeply it resonated with folks, this month we will unpack Financial Nihilism in more detail. To begin, it is not my term. Credit belongs to Demetri Kofinas, the host of the Hidden Forces podcast. He first introduced the concept at least 2 ½ years ago. Financial Nihilism goes hand in hand with Populism – a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups. Populism is a topic I’ve discussed numerous times here in the past, perhaps most pointedly in my February 2021 monthly about Gamestop. The underlying drivers of Financial Nihilism and Populism are the same – this system is not working for me, so I want to try something very different (e.g., buy SHIB or vote for Trump).

How would you go about characterizing the drivers of Financial Nihilism? As previously mentioned, the chart of median home prices to median household income is the single most emblematic symbol of Financial Nihilism in my opinion.

Shown below with a couple annotations –

image-859.png

You can see Boomers (and GenX) bought all the houses at about 4.5x annual income. Then subprime lending fueled the housing bubble and the bubble collapsed. Not long thereafter, Millennials entered the workforce and got to the point where they could start buying houses at ~5.5x annual income. Then Covid happened, the Fed printed $6 trillion, and now houses are 7.5x annual income, much higher than even the peak of the housing bubble. Simply out of reach for many millions of Americans under 40. The numbers just don’t add up.

We can drill down into this real estate situation further. Shown below is the share of total real estate value by generation in the US-

Picture29.png

From 1989 to 2023, the total value of US real estate held by households went from $7tn to $45tn, nearly a 7x increase. In 2020, when the youngest Millennial turned 25, Millennials held 13% of total real estate value. In 2005, when the youngest GenX turned 25, their share of housing wealth was 17%. And in 1989, when the youngest Boomer turned 25, they already had 33% of total real estate value. Kind of a raw deal for the current generation of young folks, right?

Let’s keep going though. Here’s the distribution of household wealth by generation. Similar type of chart as above, but looking at total net worth vs just real estate –

Picture30.png

From 1989 to 2023, total US household wealth increased from $20tn to $143tn, a 7x increase.

Drilling down into these numbers, the rise of Financial Nihilism among young people is hardly surprising. In 2020, the youngest Millennial turned 25, and Millennials had a paltry 5% of total household wealth. Compare that to GenX – in 2005 the youngest Gen X’er turned 25, and their generation had already amassed 8% of all household wealth. Then compare that further to Baby Boomers – in 1989 the youngest Boomer turned 25 and by that point the Boomer generation had gathered 20% of total household wealth. Maybe they got that from making coffee at home and skipping the guac at Chipotle!

Looking at these statistics from wealth percentile instead of generation is equally as discouraging-

Picture31.png

Again, total wealth over this time increased 7x from $20tn to $143tn. The top 10%, top 1% and top 0.1% all saw big increases in their relative share over this timeframe, while the bottom 50% actually lost a little ground. Literally watching the rich get richer while the American Dream of upward mobility slips out of reach for the majority. Tough.

Looking at the same analysis for real estate value yields a slightly different looking chart but with the same results –

Picture32.png

The whole pie grows $38tn over this time, and the rich get richer while the Bottom 50% actually lose ground.

I’ll give you one last chart to prove my point before we move on. Below is the ratio of Median Household Income to the S&P 500. Think of it as, “how many shares of the SPX can I buy with a year’s worth of median income?”

Picture33.png

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Again, it paints a tough picture. Back in the early 60’s you could get 94 shares of the SPX with the median household income. That peaked in the crash of 1982 at 219 shares and then structurally collapsed. The stock market is getting less and less affordable for the average American.

That’s the setup. The Boomers have all the money. The rich have been getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. The American Dream of upward mobility has been slipping out of reach for increasingly more people. Why do you think Oliver Anthony exploded out of nowhere into such popularity? That is Financial Nihilism. So if you’re like the large majority of Americans and you’re on the wrong end of this, what do you do about it?

You take bigger risks. You feel driven to take bigger risks to try and leapfrog from your current financial position (mostly paycheck to paycheck; buying a home feels nearly impossible; saddled with student loans; salary increases not keeping up expense increases) to something more tenable. More comfortable. More baller.

So you gamble. You. F**king. Gamble. You look anywhere, for anything, that can give you a 5:1, 10:1, 50:1 type of payout. Naturally, you look to literal gambling, which is growing at a breakneck pace-

Picture34.png

Within gambling broadly, you look to sports gambling which is now available on your phone while you’re sitting on the couch. Incredible growth rate –

Picture35-1.jpg

By the way, this year’s Super Bowl? Smashed betting records-

Picture36.png

Going even further towards Financial Nihilism, you could look at the rise in the popularity of parlay bets, which include winning multiples of your original bet if you correctly win all bets made in a multi-bet series.

Picture37-1-768x465.jpg

The state of Illinois was the only source I could find that had parlay-specific data going back multiple years. But that insane growth shown in the chart above is indicative of the growth in popularity of parlays broadly. And as a reminder, these are bets where the “house odds” are better than regular bets, even while the potential payoff is much higher. When the numbers don’t add up, might as well swing for the fences even when you’re more likely to strike out.

Picture38.png

Picture39.png

Picture40.png

You know what parlays are kinda like? 0DTE options
– options that expire the same day they are bought. Like parlays, 0DTE options offer higher probabilities of loss while offering potentially multiples of upside. Oh yeah, and either way the outcome occurs the same DAY you place the bet…err umm, same day you “make the investment”.

You know what 0DTE options popularity has been doing lately?

Picture41.png

0DTE popularity has doubled since Covid. That’s a growth rate that looks familiar, right? Between 2016 and 2023, 0DTE trading increased from 5% of total SPX options volume to 43%.

The evidence for the rise of Financial Nihilism is all around us. Think about the cultural movement that was WallStreetBets, DeepfukkingValue, Gamestop, AMC, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Blockbuster. They cranked out a Seth Rogen movie in like EIGHTEEN MONTHS. That’s how top of mind Financial Nihilism is.

One more thing to add, and then I’ll bring this all back to crypto. Those individuals choosing to act out Financial Nihilism are doing so in direct response to, and in imitation of, the monetary and fiscal policies of the Fed and the US government. Those monetary and fiscal policies have been a major driver of wealth inequality both through generations and wealth percentiles. The US government has been egregiously irresponsible. Makes a poker player look like Dave Ramsey. I’ve talked about this for years here, but I’ll give you a couple reminders-
image-861-768x230.png
image-862-768x220.png
Picture44.png

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
US been wilin’ with the dollar lately. Bitcoiners were on to this before anyone else. When the government is acting crazy, you might need to do something crazy in response – a 5-leg parlay, 0DTE TSLA calls, or long magic internet money – because the money printer has been, and will continue to, go brrrr. This causes asset price distortions of all sorts. This causes risk-taking distortions of all sorts. You’d be foolish to think otherwise.

Which brings us all the way back to crypto – the Roman Colosseum for asset price and risk-taking distortions. We will do some stuff that makes 0DTE Tesla calls looks like gold sitting in Fort Knox. Our Memecoins do numbers that make the Memestocks look like the DXY-

Picture45.png

Importantly, crypto is a populist movement. A countercultural movement. A YOUNG PERSON’s movement. Boomers don’t get it. It’s “our” thing. It’s the one thing we can actually beat Boomers at (so far). Regardless of whether Boomers show up to crypto now, in the coming years, or not at all, eventually they will leave this world behind for that big country club in the sky. And their assets, which are tremendous –

Picture46.png

…will pass down to the next generation. What is going to come of those assets? More gambling. More 0DTE options. More crypto. Be honest with yourself. Run this whole thing out 20-30 years. What do you honestly think it’s going to look like? Like if Dave Portnoy and Ready Player One had a baby.

So What?

I wrote this month’s main section about Financial Nihilism because I believe the concept is such a key driver of crypto price action, and because it struck such a chord with folks last month. I hope you understand it now better than you did a few minutes ago. I feel like I understand it better now than I did when I started writing this. I’ve come away with the view that Financial Nihilism is strong and getting stronger. It’s a feeling that’s pervasive in American society (and abroad). Financial Nihilism is a major driver of crypto price action, you can argue it’s getting even stronger, and it will be with us in a major way this coming cycle.

You can wish that weren’t the case. You can wish the crypto market would be more sound-minded. More sober. More focused on providing solutions to real problems. More rooted in reasonable valuation methodologies. Less bubble-ish. But I believe those wishes will be left ungranted. At least this cycle. There’s good reason to think this market is going to shytcoin harder than ever this cycle. That there will be an even greater “Lack of Pretense That Any of This shyt Does Anything or Will Ever Do Anything”. That we will blow an even bigger bubble and subsequently collapse an even bigger bubble. The drivers of Financial Nihilism and incentive structures that come along with it are simply too overwhelming. Act accordingly.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The crazy part is that right now we're only seeing the tip of the tip of the iceberg. A lot of the people addicted right now - the ones you see in the videos posted in here, are able to sort of hide the problems and insulate the addicts from public embarrassment etc. A large % of the kids in college are relatively well off and have parents that will pay debts/get them help and support. Even among my own group of friends/associates etc that have started gambling, they didn't grow up with money etc but they have good jobs/careers that allow them to absorb losses at least for now.

I try to always tell people, behavior and habits ALTER YOUR BRAIN'S CHEMISTRY.

It's not just about mental strength or responsibility etc. The longer you go repeating patterns, your brain will literally rework itself in ways to ingrain that behavior into itself because it thinks "oh the person to whom I am attached does and thinks about this one thing A LOT....since I work for this mf how do I make it easier for him to continue doing this?"

What's going to happen is that you're going to see the rates of credentialed professionals getting their licenses yanked skyrocket. Attorneys, financial advisors, accountants etc etc etc.

Poor people can only lose so much because no matter how addicted you may be, you still need money to bet. But someone making a couple hundred thousand can cause ALL KINDS of havoc before they hit rock bottom.

And unlike in the past when you had coalitions which included both liberal and conservatives that were against the expansion of gambling, nowadays governments from both parties are fully onboard. Especially because they see the money available from legalizing and taking a cut of the revenue.
that's true and why discipline is everything. don't form bad habits. there's choice in these matters.

now more than ever people need to be principled and stand on something yet it is the time when most have lost their morality or any guiding light on behavior and conduct. people gorge themselves on their vices and feel that they don't have to answer to anyone not even themselves. there will be a reckoning