"Ranked, Undefeated Boxers Sent To The Bushes" Thread: Luis Rosa (rest in bushes, 11/10/17)

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
This thread is only for fights, from January 2015 and on, where a ranked, undefeated Boxer loses to an unranked opponent:obama:

This thread is made to specifically to keep track of these developments:ehh:

Now, don't get me wrong, the following Boxers (and future ones to be added) can escape the bushes...but that remains to be seen:wow:

As of now, their careers have been derailed and these are the fights that changed their Boxing futures for the time being:

Last edited:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Tony Harrison

Willie Nelson defeats Tony Harrison with late KO
Jul 12, 2015

• i

Dan RafaelESPN Senior Writer
TAMPA, Fla. -- The late, great trainer Emanuel Steward took junior middleweight prospect Tony Harrison under his wing and talked constantly about him before his untimely death. To hear Steward talk, Harrison would be a future world champion and a star.

Perhaps that might still happen but the path hit a major roadblock on Saturday night on the Keith Thurman-Luis Collazo undercard at the USF Sun Dome.

In an otherwise forgettable fight, Willie Nelson knocked out Harrison out of nowhere with a right hand in the ninth round to win the debut bout of Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN.

Punch Stats
PUNCHES HARRISON NELSON
Landed 143 105
Thrown 422 338
Percent 34% 31%
-- Courtesy of CompuBox

Harrison (21-1, 18 KOs), 24, of Detroit, was taking a big step up in competition and was winning a close but very dull fight when Nelson (24-2-1, 14 KOs), 28, of Cleveland, connected.

Harrison beat the count but was out of it -- he turned to face the corner rather than referee Frank Santore -- and Santore called off the fight at 2 minutes, 27 seconds.

"I just really took my time and was being patient," Nelson said. "I still have a lot to work [to do] on letting my hands go. I let him get punches off that I shouldn't have let him. I was walking around and I should have had my hands up. The plan was to take him into deep waters so that's why I was relaxing. I got the job done with two right hands. I listened to my coach who said go down and fake down and throw a right hand on top. And he buckled a little bit with another right hand.

"I continued to throw a barrage of punches and then he went down. It was the left uppercut that started the combination and then the right hand."

Nelson trailed 87-83 and 86-84 on two scorecards -- the third was 85-85 -- when he scored the knockout. It was a big rebound win for Nelson, who was coming off a competitive 10-round decision loss to Vanes Martirosyan in October.

"I let the anxiety get to me," Harrison said. "I just felt the anxiousness to knock him out. I went in reckless and got caught. I felt I was winning the whole fight with my game plan and I just switched it up. I just felt that I had to give Detroit something to look at. I let my city down tonight. [He was] a guy that I shouldn't have lost to. The shot was behind the head but no excuses. I got up and the ref did what he had to do."

Nelson, who seemed awfully amped up for the fight after a war of words with Harrison at Thursday's final news conference, where they engaged in some shoving and extended jawing, swung so hard and missed on a shot in the final seconds of the first round that he fell to the mat. But the fight had a bit of a slow pace even though Harrison got through with plenty of stiff jabs and body shots against the taller and longer Nelson

The crowd began to boo the lack of action in the sixth round and continued in the seventh and eighth rounds. There was way more posing from the fighters than punching and also some holding and grappling that made it frustrating to watch.

But at least Harrison connected on some right hands in the later rounds and threw combinations here and there - until Nelson turned out the lights.

"I want one of the world champs. Any of them will do," Nelson said. "I want to save the best one for last, Demetrius Andrade. That's my boy but we cool. You know, I could save him for last. I want 'K9' [Cornelius Bundrage], [Erislandy] Lara, whoever have a title. That's who I want. Since everyone is jumping on the Floyd Mayweather bandwagon, give me him too."

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Amir Imam

Mike Coppinger | November 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Adrian Granados shocks Amir Imam with eighth-round stoppage

Amir Imam can kiss his WBC mandatory status goodbye.

He was rising quickly through the junior welterweight ranks, but Adrian Granados stopped Imam in his tracks with a shocking eighth-round stoppage Saturday at the Videotron Centre in Quebec City on ShoExtreme.

Granados (17-4-2, 12 KOs) was dropped hard in Round 1, but rose off the canvas and never stopped coming forward in a good action fight. He laid a beating on the sharp-shooting Imam, BoxingJunkie’s No. 6 140-pounder, and pounded him into submission at 2:34 of Round 8. Granados buckled Imam into the ropes, and then let his fists go furiously, seemingly connecting with every shot until referee Alain Villeneuve haled the contest.

“It feels great. Once I had him wobbled I was like, ‘you’ve got to get him now,'” Granados said. “This time you’re not taking it from me. It was a flash knockdown. He caught with the right hand, but I was alright. I just popped right up and I knew he was going to try and finish me. We got out of it and went right back to work.”

Imam (18-1, 15 KOs) was the No. 1 contender to the belt held by Viktor Postol, but will surely fall from that position with this result. Two judges had Granados ahead at the time of stoppage, while one had it even.

“I know people might say I shouldn’t have taken this fight, but I needed this fight in between as a tune-up for my next fight because I didn’t want to wait for the six to eight months for the world title shot,” Imam said. “The key to the fight was my jab, I just didn’t use it enough, Imam said. “But that’s the way it goes and I’m going to definitely come back stronger.”

Imam was considered a heavy favorite and this was seen a stay-busy fight while he prepared for Postol next year. Granados upset the apple cart, and with his pressure style, will certainly be back.

“I believe I should be the mandatory challenger,” said Granados. “He was in line and I stopped him. What does that mean? Come on. I was the underdog, but I just came to take it. I came to take it.”

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Antoine Douglas

fight-night-0009-khurtsidze-e1457253478412.jpg

Underdog Avtandil Khurtsidze hands Antoine Douglas first loss
133SHARES
By: USA TODAY Sports | March 6, 2016 3:40 am

Avtandil Khurtsidze, a human brick wall barreling forward, upset previously unbeaten middleweight contender Antoine Douglas with a thoroughly dominating 10th-round TKO at the Sands Events Center in Bethlehem, Pa.

The 35-year-old “mini-Mike Tyson” plowed forward from the opening bell until the TKO at 0:33 of the 10th. The 6-foot Douglas had no answer for his 5-foot-4 opponent, a Brooklyn-based native of Georgia who is looking to become the first world champion from the former Soviet nation.

Antoine Douglas Suffers First Professional Loss | SHOWTIME Boxing: Special Edition

Khurtsidze (32-2-2, 21 KOs) hurt Douglas (19-1-1, 13 KOs) with a big left in the opening seconds of the third round, sending the 23-year-old face forward through the ropes. Somehow, Douglas recovered from the first knockdown of his career and fought himself back into the fight.

The Washington, D.C., native rallied to win the fourth and the fifth rounds, and the all-action sixth could have gone either way.

Khurtsidze opened the seventh with a monstrous left hand to floor Douglas, who again survived the round on failing legs as Khurtsidze threw more than 100 total punches.

Khurtsidze, who showed unbelievable stamina to push the pressure throughout, started the 10th with a relentless attack, forcing referee Benjy Esteves to stop the fight at 0:33 of the round with Douglas defenseless against the ropes.

“I knew he was going to get tired,” said Khurtsidze, who took the fight on less than three weeks notice. “I felt like I was going to catch him. He’s a good fighter, but he’s not strong.

“I knew he was going to be hungry. But I also knew that I was going to beat him. It was short notice but I did everything I could in the time we had. I stayed in the gym and stayed sharp.

“Whoever they put in front me, I’m ready for them. I love fighting. I’ll fight anybody.”

Douglas had entered the fight as a fast-rising 160-pounder on the cusp of a title shot.

“I feel OK,” Douglas said after the fight. “He definitely dictated. He definitely had a better day today. It’s not discouraging, we just weren’t able to execute. Naturally, I’m crushed. It’s back to the drawing board.”

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Forgot about imam :laff: Yo post Sadam Ali :laff:

Ali got destroyed, :heh:, but lost to Jessie Vargas who was a former Junior Welterweight Champion, and ranked #4 by the WBO. Fortunately for Ali, his loss doesn't meet the criteria for this thread:

...KOd by a middle of the road opponent (an opponent who's not ranked in the Top 15 of any organization at the time of the fight)

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
good thread idea breh

Thanks breh:salute:

I was watching the Douglas fight and started to think, "man, we need to keep tabs on losses like these".:obama:

So many prospects/contenders get hype, lose via KO to non-descript fighters, and we forget about em. Now, we wont, because we can just post them in here to always have visual evidence of when their careers took a turn for the worst before reaching a pinnacle (winning a Championship):ehh:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
I'm not petty enough to go thru old posts but I specifically remember being told about Imam...

"Now that's a REAL fighter to Stan" :beli:

Has Jleon even fought since being kod??

J'Leon Love fought 3x....all on untelevised portion of the cards. He fights on AB's card on 4/1 against a dude who is 21-24, and of course it's untelevised again:dead: