*RARE* Chuck D Radio Interview - September 1988 - Hofstra University Radio Hip Hop Show

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island

This is straight from my collection of cassette tapes, an interview with Chuck D on the "P5" Saturday night hip-hop show from Hofstra University back in September of 1988.

Hofstra is practically right next to Nassau Coliseum (in Long Island) and a few weeks prior to this interview, a tour called "Dope Jam 88" was held there featuring Eric B & Rakim, Kool Moe Dee, Boogie Down Productions, Doug E. Fresh and some others. A concertgoer was stabbed to death inside the arena, and rap shows were banned from this venue for about 12 years or so in the aftermath. Chuck stopped by this college radio program and touched on a number of topics including this unfortunate tragedy at the Coliseum, giving back to the community of Long Island, and the milestone that "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" just hit #1 on the Billboard RnB/Hip-Hop charts earlier that same week.

Interview is about 10 minutes long. Enjoy!

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Thanks!!....love classic NY radio shows
:salute:

Thanks so do I.

I just found a tape that might be one of Master Ace's earliest appearances on WBLS from August or September of '88 and him and Craig G start freestyling.

Which is then topped by the end of the program where Craig G, and the Fat Boys, Prince Markie Dee, and Kool Rock Ski do a freestyle. Incredible to say the least.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
:salute:

Thanks so do I.

I just found a tape that might be one of Master Ace's earliest appearances on WBLS from August or September of '88 and him and Craig G start freestyling.

Which is then topped by the end of the program where Craig G, and the Fat Boys, Prince Markie Dee, and Kool Rock Ski do a freestyle. Incredible to say the least.

:lupe: oh you gonna have to release that Jewel my guy....

jesus lord im a WBLS groupie.....going back to the Frankie Crocker and Vaughn Harper era....of Disco and Quiet Storm R&B

yeah that sounds nice as fukk :ahh:

i got so much 1987 and 88 WBLS tapes im gonna have to digital convert them as well

yeah Craig G. use to answer the phones for the WBLS rap attack radio show..i think that show u got is when Master Ace just joined the juice crew

classic!

im still trying to locate the cassette recording i had of that on Rap Attack show where MR. Magic dissed MC LYTE live on the air

he said..."Homegirl SOUNDS LIKE A MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!" :scust:

MR. MAGIC gave no fukks!!!!!!!!!!!! :pachaha:

but hands down had the best organized radio show in NYC radio history....Marley Marl as his super engineer!!!!!!!!!...Fly Ty as the show's producer and Craig G. manning the phones with Kevy Kev subbing on the wheels of steel friday nights...live broadcasts from the Apollo which was right next door...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :krs: THAT' WAS THE SOUND OF THE GOLDEN ERA!!!!

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
:lupe: oh you gonna have to release that Jewel my guy....

jesus lord im a WBLS groupie.....going back to the Frankie Crocker and Vaughn Harper era....of Disco and Quiet Storm R&B

yeah that sounds nice as fukk :ahh:

i got so much 1987 and 88 WBLS tapes im gonna have to digital convert them as well

yeah Craig G. use to answer the phones for the WBLS rap attack radio show..i think that show u got is when Master Ace just joined the juice crew

classic!

im still trying to locate the cassette recording i had of that on Rap Attack show where MR. Magic dissed MC LYTE live on the air

he said..."Homegirl SOUNDS LIKE A MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!" :scust:

MR. MAGIC gave no fukks!!!!!!!!!!!! :pachaha:

but hands down had the best organized radio show in NYC radio history....Marley Marl as his super engineer!!!!!!!!!...Fly Ty as the show's producer and Craig G. manning the phones with Kevy Kev subbing on the wheels of steel friday nights...live broadcasts from the Apollo which was right next door...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :krs: THAT' WAS THE SOUND OF THE GOLDEN ERA!!!!

Everything you said is WILD and reading what you wrote about MC Lyte explains something too

I have the Rap Attack top 20 countdown of 88 on tape. Pretty much a flawless list of songs, yet I was struck that for 1988 neither Slick Rick, nor MC Lyte made the cut.

What you said, he said about MC Lyte explains why:pachaha:

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Everything you said is WILD and reading what you wrote about MC Lyte explains something too

I have the Rap Attack top 20 countdown of 88 on tape. Pretty much a flawless list of songs, yet I was struck that for 1988 neither Slick Rick, nor MC Lyte made the cut.

What you said, he said about MC Lyte explains why:pachaha:

The Slick Rick ommision was an obvious jab as well brother :umad:

at the time ....Slick had just released his debut album if im not mistaken that same year 88...with the first lead single "The Rulers Back" which i remember i had on tape cause it got leaked to WBLS's rival down the dial KISS FM with Red Alert by Slick Rick himself who was impatient and upset with Rush/Def Jam and the promotion of his album and procastination that went along with it.......

the original version is a unmixed demo you could probally hear on youtube on all these old 88 Red Alert mixes that's been uploaded...i know cause i had this on tape as well..and Red played the fukk out that song...because there is a line in the song that goes:

A kid ran up to the mike and said "Alert, hear this,"
Cleared his crummy throat and then began to persist

Magic took it as a DISS.....because Alert would cut it up often and use it as a promo as well , cause that was the rivalry as well to see who had the NEW EXCLUSIVE JOINTS on the air......

and to make matters worst....Mr. Magic felt it was BETRAYAL on Slick Rick's part by runnign with RUSH/DEF JAM considering he always had Slick rick and Doug's back when RUN DMC was sneak dissing them on the air and on stage during the whole ADIDAS vs BALLY issue and the situation at the Apollo where Doug e Fresh and Crew would open up for RUN DMC and according to many uptown blow RUN DMC off the stage in terms of performance!

this is where the whole THERE HAVE BEEN ALOT OF STARS ON THIS STAGE TONIGHT...BUT I WANNA KNOW ONE THING WHO MUTHAPHUKING HOUSE IS THIS???.....THIS IS MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!! :ufdup:

that shyt GOT BROADCASTED LIVE ON WBLS!!!!!!!!!!..i remember being young hearing that shyt......they played that concert clip the whole summer every damn weekend..it was ill...but MAGIC still supported DOUG AND SLICK....even though the KINGS WAS ON THEY AZZ :umad:

THIS IS one of those clips that was broadcasted on WBLS ....back then...it's crazy..cause Run and DMC was cussing and Magic and Marley was losing thier mind trying to bleep out the cusses :russ:

crazy!!!.... im trying to find the last show they did that week, it was i think 4 shows straight ..and the last one is when they DISSED DOUG AND SLICK on stage....and the rumor about the Hollis Crew having to fight thier way out of Harlem got borned....lmao....great times :obama:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

WOW

I definitely remember the WBLS Apollo Theater simulcasts, and have vague memories of those Run DMC broadcasts too.

And that would also explain why Run DMC didn't make the top 20 songs of '88 also. Granted this was the year they dropped "Tougher Than Leather" but SOMETHING from that album could have made the list.

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

WOW

I dedindefin remember the WBLS Apollo Theater simulcasts, and have vague memories of those Run DMC broadcasts too.

And that would also explain why Run DMC didn't make the top 20 songs of '88 also. Granted this was the year they dropped "Tougher Than Leather" but SOMETHING from that album could have made the list.

yeah i always loved Mr. Magic...he was my idol and one of the main influences for me to get into the radio game and eventually have my own radio show

but to be honest..HE PLAYED THE POLITICAL GAME way too much at a time in hip hop when we as kids didn't need that shyt :whoa:

it was pretty obvious even to me as preteen that Magic was on some bullshyt :patrice: even before Krs and BDP called him out

i didn't understand till years later as a young adult when i went to my first radio convention down south and bumped into some radio personalities from the tristate one of em was a former WBLS disc jock and the other was a P.D from Kiss

they broke it down lovely ..how Magic towards his last year on WBLS which would be around late 88 or early 89 was pissed off at RUSH MANAGEMENT cause apparantly Mr. Magic was also working for his partner FLY TY from Cold Chillin records at Fly Ty management (mc shan, g rap, shante, craig g, intelligent hoodlum)....

and was losing alot of acts to the RUSH MANAGEMENT machine which had Slick Rick, P.E, RUN DMC , Beastie Boys just to name a few and was basically locking Rush outta the game and really iced them when they snatched Big Daddy Kane up who we all know as a Juice Crew/Cold Chilling affiilate....

so basically MAGIC took it personal and came after certain acts on air....slandering them or just plain dissing them...

that's where the line from PUBLIC ENEMY song "COLD LAMPING" come from it's an actual recording of MAGIC dissing P.E saying THERE WILL BE NO MORE MUSIC BY THE SUCKERS..NO MORE MUSIC!!!! :dead:

but in his DEFENSE....

RUSH MANAGEMENT along with DEF JAM wasn't playing fair as well.....

i kinda understand MAGIC's frustration after seeing an episode of YO MTV RAPS one saturday morning and it was Fab 5 Freddy accompanying the Def Jam/Rush squad on a plane for an interview during one of the stops on the RAISING HELL TOUR with run dmc.....

so all of a sudden who do i see in that clip on the plane with Run, Dmc, JMJ, Flava Flav...Ad Roc , Lyor Cohen and Fab 5 Freddy..sitting comfortably in between them was KISS FM radio deejay and rival to WBLS ....DJ CHUCK CHILLOUT!!!!

i was like WTF?!?!?...no wonder CHUCK WAS ALWAYS PLAYING THE HELL OUT OF THOSE P.E RECORDS and LL COOL J records and getting them mad early...

RUSH/DEF JAM clearly had KISS FM in it's "pockets" :umad:

sad to say this was NOT a good thing...and the first glimpse i had seen into the world of PAYOLA :snoop:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Oh I can add on to the PE vs Mr Magic history.

here is the original broadcast when Magic played "Public Enemy No. 1"

go to the 4:30 mark

Magic said he loved the beat, but thought the rappin' was "kinda weak" :snoop:

then went on to diss Dr. Dre (before he did Yo MTV Raps) who was the host of a show out in Long Island called "The Operating Room" 90.3 WBAU at Adelphi University on Monday nights, referring to him as "Dr. Duck & the boys from Long Island"

WBAU was the station Chuck D worked at prior to forming PE.

The following Monday, Dr. Dre played the Magic clip on his show

go to the 4:50 mark

Last edited: