Rate this anime day 141: FLCL (Fooley Cooley)

Rate FLCL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
I've seen Fooly Cooly at least four times and I'm still not entirely sure what the fukk was going on. What do fake bushy eyebrows have to do with anything, how can a guitar summon objects out of a forehead, why is there a giant fist clutching an iron in the middle of a japanese town are some of the many questions that seem to have no real answers, only vague interpretations.

but the one thing I always got from the very first watch is Naota's struggles as a pubescent boy who is 1) desperate to appear mature, rush towards adulthood and 2) searching for acceptance through the romantic influences in his life. He is too young to have any sense of self worth whatsoever, so he allows himself to be manipulated by both Mamimi and Haruko in hopes of becoming someone worth their attention. They pull him in exact opposite directions to the benefit of their own motives - Mamimi towards childhood (she is stuck in a rut, doesn't want to mature and face adult responsibility), Haruko towards adulthood (She seeks power, willing to use whoever to capture Atomisk). Neither suits him, and in the end he winds up exactly where he belongs in the middle of adolescence. It is telling that in the moment that he absorbs atomsk and becomes all powerful that he gives it all up just to tell Haroko he loves her while blushing like a doofus. Not a hero, not mature, just a kid who has to go through the motions like everyone else his age.

I think FLCL is so popular in spite of 99% of viewers including myself having little to no clue what the story means because Naota so well represents universal concerns of puberty, whether directly or through abstract symbolism like the growing horns that Naota is initially insecure about. Also the music of the Seatbelts captures the brainless frenzy of adolescence, iconic OST that holds up well today.

My laptop wallpaper has been this for years

FLCL1.jpg

from

FLCL2.jpg

Last time I rewatched FLCL I walked away thinking she was the best developed character. Used to think she was only an autistic pyromaniac with an addiction to cigarettes and didn't notice her dependency issues borne from a life of poverty, parental neglect, school bullying and being abandoned by literally everyone she grew close to. She's not weird for the sake of being weird, her self destructive behavior is explained subtly throughout the show. She clings to people that are vulnerable and easy to manipulate and grows disinterested in them when they mature, because she herself fears maturity. One of the themes of FLCL is that everyone has their insecurities but what matters is honesty and striving to overcome those problems, and Mamimi is really the only such character who's wallowing her self pity while dragging everyone around her down too.

I took the writing inscribed on her cigarette "never knows best" as meaning it's easier for us to say we'll never do this or never amount to that, while you really never know what can happen unless you try. Just feeling sorry for yourself as she does will leave you constantly wondering the what ifs of your life, never changing, never solving anything. That the message is on a drug that contributes to stunting growth has to to be intentional. This can also extend to Naota who for the longest time was afraid to take action and be bold until he swung that bat with the help of Haruko to save the city from being destroyed. Didn't know he could do it until he tried. Similarly Mamimi reaches a point where she takes inspiration from Naota's growth and finds work for herself as a photographer, moves away from the town. She grows for the better too.

If I watched FLCL again only focusing on Haruko I think there's just as much depth to her character. But as of now she's just a complete mystery. I know Naota's friends, especially that girl, have more to them that relates to themes to the show that could get in another rewatch. Feel like I need to watch it at least three more times, crazy how much there is to unpack in only a six episode OVA.

I'm giving it a 10, seen it more times than any other anime and I still feel the need to watch it again and again to understand the symbolism and characterization that is shown more so than explicitly told to the viewer. Yeah its confusing and weird and a lot of shyt seems to be there just for the sake of being there but at the core is a message that a lot of people react strongly to and understand and that's all you really need to become attached to a show.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
9/10. It almost feels like a multi episode music video. The animation is top notch and holds up beautifully. There seems to be an underlying message about ultimately being yourself when others try to move you in one direction or another. I can understand why a lot of people 35 and under have this in their personal top 10. It was ahead of its time.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
I've seen Fooly Cooly at least four times and I'm still not entirely sure what the fukk was going on. What do fake bushy eyebrows have to do with anything, how can a guitar summon objects out of a forehead, why is there a giant fist clutching an iron in the middle of a japanese town are some of the many questions that seem to have no real answers, only vague interpretations.

but the one thing I always got from the very first watch is Naota's struggles as a pubescent boy who is 1) desperate to appear mature, rush towards adulthood and 2) searching for acceptance through the romantic influences in his life. He is too young to have any sense of self worth whatsoever, so he allows himself to be manipulated by both Mamimi and Haruko in hopes of becoming someone worth their attention. They pull him in exact opposite directions to the benefit of their own motives - Mamimi towards childhood (she is stuck in a rut, doesn't want to mature and face adult responsibility), Haruko towards adulthood (She seeks power, willing to use whoever to capture Atomisk). Neither suits him, and in the end he winds up exactly where he belongs in the middle of adolescence. It is telling that in the moment that he absorbs atomsk and becomes all powerful that he gives it all up just to tell Haroko he loves her while blushing like a doofus. Not a hero, not mature, just a kid who has to go through the motions like everyone else his age.

I think FLCL is so popular in spite of 99% of viewers including myself having little to no clue what the story means because Naota so well represents universal concerns of puberty, whether directly or through abstract symbolism like the growing horns that Naota is initially insecure about. Also the music of the Seatbelts captures the brainless frenzy of adolescence, iconic OST that holds up well today.

My laptop wallpaper has been this for years

FLCL1.jpg

from

FLCL2.jpg

Last time I rewatched FLCL I walked away thinking she was the best developed character. Used to think she was only an autistic pyromaniac with an addiction to cigarettes and didn't notice her dependency issues borne from a life of poverty, parental neglect, school bullying and being abandoned by literally everyone she grew close to. She's not weird for the sake of being weird, her self destructive behavior is explained subtly throughout the show. She clings to people that are vulnerable and easy to manipulate and grows disinterested in them when they mature, because she herself fears maturity. One of the themes of FLCL is that everyone has their insecurities but what matters is honesty and striving to overcome those problems, and Mamimi is really the only such character who's wallowing her self pity while dragging everyone around her down too.

I took the writing inscribed on her cigarette "never knows best" as meaning it's easier for us to say we'll never do this or never amount to that, while you really never know what can happen unless you try. Just feeling sorry for yourself as she does will leave you constantly wondering the what ifs of your life, never changing, never solving anything. That the message is on a drug that contributes to stunting growth has to to be intentional. This can also extend to Naota who for the longest time was afraid to take action and be bold until he swung that bat with the help of Haruko to save the city from being destroyed. Didn't know he could do it until he tried. Similarly Mamimi reaches a point where she takes inspiration from Naota's growth and finds work for herself as a photographer, moves away from the town. She grows for the better too.

If I watched FLCL again only focusing on Haruko I think there's just as much depth to her character. But as of now she's just a complete mystery. I know Naota's friends, especially that girl, have more to them that relates to themes to the show that could get in another rewatch. Feel like I need to watch it at least three more times, crazy how much there is to unpack in only a six episode OVA.

I'm giving it a 10, seen it more times than any other anime and I still feel the need to watch it again and again to understand the symbolism and characterization that is shown more so than explicitly told to the viewer. Yeah its confusing and weird and a lot of shyt seems to be there just for the sake of being there but at the core is a message that a lot of people react strongly to and understand and that's all you really need to become attached to a show.

I wish I could analyze things like you just did:wow:.

Honestly, I can only watch things for the entertainment value. My mind blocks out any criticism until someone puts it into my head.

Also, it's kinda funny how Naota's ideal match wound up being the girl in his circle.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Love the visuals

Don’t know what it was supposed to be about

This and Paranoia agent were the ones that left me like... wah?

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
I wish I could analyze things like you just did:wow:.

Honestly, I can only watch things for the entertainment value. My mind blocks out any criticism until someone puts it into my head.

Also, it's kinda funny how Naota's ideal match wound up being the girl in his circle.

Watching for raw entertainment is best way to enjoy anime imo. when i go into shows wanting to criticize it becomes a lot harder to enjoy newer stuff. don't watch as much as i used to as a result

kinda wish the flcl sequel just followed the rest of naota's adolescence with his circle including that girl, lot to explore there. she had the same problems with putting on airs of maturity and overcame them in the end just like he did.