Daps
Reppin
NULL
bJSD7zMAJdhcjThq5
10/10

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
posted about the 1997 version of Berserk in the anime thread a few months ago. Rewatched it then and was amazed by how much we learn about Casca, Guts and Griffith through their facial expressions and actions rather than words. Usually in anime we get access into the minds of characters and are explicitly told who they were, who they are, what they stand for rather than just being shown all of this through how they carry themselves in adverse situations.

Guts is too prideful to admit that he was scared out of his mind when fighting Zodd. but you can confirm that fear when his body starts shivering, face breaks out in sweat, teeth are clenched and eyebrows raise.

dtfpiH2.jpg

OQwJ9jb.jpg

He doesn't need to say that he fears death for us to know it, and that fear of his mortality is part of what separates him from being a monster. Very important to the essence of who Guts is and how he's forever in conflict of being seen as a monster when his emotions are human.

When Guts assassinated Julius and Adonis he doesn't say a word in the aftermath yet you can see how badly shook he is from having murdered a father and son that reminds of himself and Gambino

pSuTs59.jpg

DUZB3d6.jpg

0zc5rp3.jpg

again not evidence of the monster that Guts is frequently accused of being. Guts is really as human as can be in the Golden Arc, but his environment forces him to be violent in return to survive.

That trauma leads to him leaving the band of the hawk to find his own vision rather than following Griffith's blindly. We do not need Guts to tell us why he left the BOTW when the reason is shown to us right here

FWQiILP.jpg

When Guts leaves the BOTH Griffith pretty much devolves into a sack of shyt. And we didn't need a ten minute monologue to see that his ambition was supported by Guts and broken without him. Griffith loses his ability to fight, literally, when confronted by the castle guards because Guts broke his sword. This says so much about his dependency upon others to assume power and fulfill his dreams.

mu7lg7p.jpg

WBvRlr1.png

sEtBw6p.png

It's telling that Griffith is chained with Guts gone, freed when he returns and soon afterwards throws himself onto Casca to manipulate the two into staying by his side. This scene pretty clearly foreshadows what happens in the eclipse and emphasizes his desire for control at the expense of all that surround him.

g7UGY8o.jpg

SEtvYxM.jpg

BF4SxcW.jpg

Guts sitting isolated with his sword away from everyone, the way he looks at Casca, Griffith's unspoken control over Casca, Guts not wanting to be touched, so much is vital to understanding who these characters are and it's almost all communicated through action, not verbally to the benefit of the characterization and how sincere they feel to a viewer/reader.

For the part that it covers of Berserk, this anime is a strong 9 to a 10, some faults being the censorship of a few scenes (mainly GutsxCasca) and cutting of certain details due to time restraints. It doesn't cover the full story, but it does cover the most important portion of Berserk and absolutely does justice to one of the greatest manga oat. I haven't finished the 2016 version and I never want to. That isn't Berserk.

nominating Gintama, Kids on the Slope

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
If we are combining all the animated versions, I think it's a 9/10. The original 1997 run is God level, the others are a notch or two below that but still a great show. Just sucks that the manga will probably never come to a real conclusion. Plus he anime (understandably) toned some things down.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
10/10

The OG anime series was amazing for what it did in 26 episodes. A true Shakespearean story that grabs the viewer. I would say it's the Macbeth of anime/manga.

As for the manga being finished, look at a single page of the artwork and ask yourself how long it took to draw.

I'm sure the content itself also sent Miura into depressive states. Just like Vagabond, Berserk is incredibly detailed and gripping from characters, setting and plot that it becomes overbearing on the creator.

Good health and continued success to Miura.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
10/10

The OG anime series was amazing for what it did in 26 episodes. A true Shakespearean story that grabs the viewer. I would say it's the Macbeth of anime/manga.

As for the manga being finished, look at a single page of the artwork and ask yourself how long it took to draw.

I'm sure the content itself also sent Miura into depressive states. Just like Vagabond, Berserk is incredibly detailed and gripping from characters, setting and plot that it becomes overbearing on the creator.

Good health and continued success to Miura.

the Macbeth of anime is a good analogy.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Berserk has to be the best series I never want to watch again. I remember watching the OG anime several years back, and it was honestly great. You had a dope setting, solid characters, and an instantly recognizable protagonist in Guts.

But the Eclipse :mjcry: :mindblown::picard:

Why did the show have to end it there, of all places? :sadbron:

giphy.gif

I hear that the manga is excellent as well. I still voted 10 out of respect :salute:

Griffifth :pacspit: :pacspit::pacspit: