Rate this anime day 156: Penguindrum

Rate Penguindrum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
one of those anime that I don't blame others for thinking its pretentious, not good. Penguindrum uses a lot of abstract symbolism that appears to be unrelated to anything of relevance and has no single interpretation. Can be annoying to watch at times as it feels like the show is intentionally trying to irritate the viewer (at one point a character literally addresses the viewer and denies them more information). The story jumps back and forth through time a lot. The characters themselves are confused about what is going on so they don't help YOU to understand the story either.

but it does a couple things well to make it enjoyable up until the moment that the major plot twist happens and things start to make sense

-Has a very attractive aesthetic. Mostly bright color palette. Characters have unique designs from one another and express themselves in over the top, exaggerated ways that only animation can really do justice to. Very high energy show. This makes it a lot more accessible than other confusing anime like Texhnolyze and Lain that are slow and deliberate.

-Most would agree the soundtrack is great.

So even when you're wondering what a penguin is spraying roaches with a can of raid and Apples have to do with anything, it's not hard to get locked into the frenetic pace of the show until the clues start to drop.

It's hard to even talk about what Penguindrum is about without spoiling it.. But I can say that at the core of the anime is the importance of altruism, showing selfless concern for others who are born into desolate situations whether it be because their parents are trash or they have a certain need that no one is around to provide them. I think its a powerful message that gets executed to perfection in the end, well worth all the early struggles.

Giving it a 9, and I think if I saw it again with the knowledge of what happens it would get a 10.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
one of those anime that I don't blame others for thinking its pretentious, not good. Penguindrum uses a lot of abstract symbolism that appears to be unrelated to anything of relevance and has no single interpretation. Can be annoying to watch at times as it feels like the show is intentionally trying to irritate the viewer (at one point a character literally addresses the viewer and denies them more information). The story jumps back and forth through time a lot. The characters themselves are confused about what is going on so they don't help YOU to understand the story either.

but it does a couple things well to make it enjoyable up until the moment that the major plot twist happens and things start to make sense

-Has a very attractive aesthetic. Mostly bright color palette. Characters have unique designs from one another and express themselves in over the top, exaggerated ways that only animation can really do justice to. Very high energy show. This makes it a lot more accessible than other confusing anime like Texhnolyze and Lain that are slow and deliberate.

-Most would agree the soundtrack is great.

So even when you're wondering what a penguin is spraying roaches with a can of raid and Apples have to do with anything, it's not hard to get locked into the frenetic pace of the show until the clues start to drop.

It's hard to even talk about what Penguindrum is about without spoiling it.. But I can say that at the core of the anime is the importance of altruism, showing selfless concern for others who are born into desolate situations whether it be because their parents are trash or they have a certain need that no one is around to provide them. I think its a powerful message that gets executed to perfection in the end, well worth all the early struggles.

Giving it a 9, and I think if I saw it again with the knowledge of what happens it would get a 10.

9 for the reasons Consumed listed, plus some personal reasons that make me relate strongly with the actual premise.

but I can get how it wouldn't be for everybody. I can imagine people going "it ain't shyt going on!"

@Consumed your reviews are way better than a shyt ton of blogs I've read

I second this @Consumed, I want to watch this now.You didn't take eight paragraphs and some GIFS to bring your point across.

I like anime that dive into the human condition.

Would you recommend Lain? I've heard mixed reviews.

I still appreciate yall for NHK, that really changed how I viewed my struggles.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
I second this @Consumed, I want to watch this now.You didn't take eight paragraphs and some GIFS to bring your point across.

I like anime that dive into the human condition.

Would you recommend Lain? I've heard mixed reviews.

I still appreciate yall for NHK, that really changed how I viewed my struggles.

I think you should try Lain for the experience if nothing else. There's a good chance you sympathize with the main character and that helps with all the offputting visuals, lack of dialogue. Don't blame anyone for dropping it because how weird it is. but it's only 13 episodes so you don't have to commit long to it. and it has the GOAT OP that you can look forward to.

might've seen this already but there's a relatively recent anime called Sangatsu Lion that deals with similar topics as NHK. In a more optimistic and thorough manner with way better visuals. Highest possible recommendation if you like shows like that.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
BTW. I strictly did this anime because I saw it being talked about heavily in the main anime thread. Didn’t even think about doing this anime at all.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I think you should try Lain for the experience if nothing else. There's a good chance you sympathize with the main character and that helps with all the offputting visuals, lack of dialogue. Don't blame anyone for dropping it because how weird it is. but it's only 13 episodes so you don't have to commit long to it. and it has the GOAT OP that you can look forward to.

might've seen this already but there's a relatively recent anime called Sangatsu Lion that deals with similar topics as NHK. In a more optimistic and thorough manner with way better visuals. Highest possible recommendation if you like shows like that.

I downloaded the Lain OP already :mjlol:

It's really good :wow:

I'll add the anime to my list.

March comes in like a Lion right?

I watched Episode 1 but I forgot about due to life. I'll make sure to finish it this time thanks :ehh:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Its a good show but its... dependent on the audience for its quality. If you're the type to let go of the wheel and let the show steer for you, you will NOT enjoy this. If you're the type to look for everything IN everything, then this show will give you more than you can handle.

Hard to recommend. Very, very good though.