Rate This City: Day 34 - Tokyo

Rate: Tokyo

• Total voters

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Largest city in one of the pound for pound most influential nations as it pertains to pop culture currently.

That's my first thought.

Japan reminds me of Jamaica in that sense. Such small nations (landmass and population wise) that have such MASSIVE cultural contributions to the world.

I legit rate the Japanese RIGHT behind AADOS in terms of how much ONE group of people have their shyt co-opted by other groups.

Supper

All Star
Daps
Japan reminds me of Jamaica in that sense. Such small nations (landmass and population wise) that have such MASSIVE cultural contributions to the world.

I legit rate the Japanese RIGHT behind AADOS in terms of how much ONE group of people have their shyt co-opted by other groups.

Yeah, in terms of "nation states" Jamaica and Japan are top two of the most highly influential.

AADOS ain't a nation state. Cuz if we talkin most influential people groups period then it's not a question who's #1. :lolbron:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Yeah, in terms of "nation states" Jamaica and Japan are top two of the most highly influential.

AADOS ain't a nation state. Cuz if we talkin most influential people groups period then it's not a question who's #1. :lolbron:

I've even made this thread before:mjgrin:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
10/10 for the world’s biggest city.

I look forward to visiting this place someday. It’s on my Top 10 bucket list of cities in the world I wanna visit in my lifetime.

Watching travel vlogs, documentaries, and anime that depict Tokyo and its daily life, I’m constantly curious about this city.
It was my number #1 bucket list city.lol

The great thing is, its exactly the city your probably envisioning of-A futuristic,neon lights,Anime infused,video tron metropolis

shyt is like a Asian/Japanese Wakanda :wow:

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: no. They're not. Japanese people are just really good at hiding how they really feel. Its cultural.
Ive been to Tokyo multiple times, and spent significant time there. They're generally a$$holes to nonwhite foreigners, and even some white foreigners. There are bars and restaurants that don't allow non-Japanese people in, period.

Tokyo has a nice face in the front but don't get it twisted, it has a dark side like every city. I got robbed in Tokyo.

Still, overall a cool place with plenty to do. I gave it an 8 because its so fukking expensive, even just to get from one station to another. And well, I've seen how shytty Japanese people can really be. If you only spend a few days there, I can see why you'd give it a 10.

:russ:

I need to hear this.

It is expensive but you can see why. Streets are super clean, they got street sweepers walking the sidewalks picking up dust.

Construction at any time of the day was silent. I have a few videos of them doing road work and you wouldn't hear a peep.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
It was my number #1 bucket list city.lol

The great thing is, its exactly the city your probably envisioning of-A futuristic,neon lights,Anime infused,video tron metropolis

shyt is like a Asian/Japanese Wakanda :wow:

Facts breh. I also love the music that has come outta Tokyo too. Hip Hop is generally taken pretty seriously (Vietnam too apparently), the Jazz scene is one of the best outside the U.S., I prefer J-Pop to K-Pop especially because the former don’t really vulture off of Black folks, pretty decent Techno and EDM music scene, contributions to video game/arcade music, and 80’s Japanese Soul music is GOAT-level shyt. Not to mention, Tokyo is arguably the perfect backdrop for Jazzy Lo-Fi/Chillwave music :wow:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Facts breh. I also love the music that has come outta Tokyo too. Hip Hop is generally taken pretty seriously (Vietnam too apparently), the Jazz scene is one of the best outside the U.S., I prefer J-Pop to K-Pop especially because the former don’t really vulture off of Black folks, pretty decent Techno and EDM music scene, contributions to video game/arcade music, and 80’s Japanese Soul music is GOAT-level shyt. Not to mention, Tokyo is arguably the perfect backdrop for Jazzy Lo-Fi/Chillwave music :wow:

purposely listened to this type of music when cruising through there. Works perfectly, especially at night when the city is lit all the way up

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
I went once as part of a college trip, and I was really surprised to find that they were not racist! They also had a dope jazz club that I checked out! Wish I remember the name.

There are black people there and some West Africans too. Mostly teachers.

The arcades
:noah:

The food
:ohlawd:

The nightlife
:ahh:

shyt like this got me wanting to join the Air Force to live there for a year. Talk about a change in life

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Stationed there 01-03
Beautiful city so much to do
shyt is expensive but clubbing was GOAT
Club open 9pm close 9am
Transportation also Goat with the train system
Food was so so good
Women were :wow: I'm not only saying only japs but got a nice international mix

Shibuya shinjuku roppongi all close together to tokyo
Easily 10 for me but that shibuya crosswalk ain't joke :damn:

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Nice city- a tad overrated to me...they have arcades errwhere and you see cats dressed up in their business attire playing video games on they lunch breaks...shyt was weird. They also have used panty vending machines....:scust:

ill give it a solid 7

this makes me feel like you never went. Or if you did, you didn’t explore properly!

Anyway for me it’s a 9.9 (votes 10 anyway). I REALLY loved the city and when I went I had the chance to go with a Japanese speaker who lived there, so I was hitting all the local places. I did a solo trip for 99% of the 3 week trip. Hit Hiroshima, Miya Jima, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo

The trains are amazing. Punctual, clean, quiet.
The food. Amazing.
The women. Mostly fine

The city/prefecture is huge too so there was a really weird (in a good way) split when you go to Harajuku, then a few mins around the corner is a beautiful quiet green park.

Or when you’re hustling and bustling and end up at Asakusa and it’s hauntingly quiet and peaceful

I really like the fact some parts are still stuck on the early 90s like the movies I grew up on. The inter-city trains are old but the bullet trains are new

My Mrs is half Japanese and I was at a house party the other day and there were more Japanese women there and I got talking to one woman who reminded me it’s not always good. Some of The working men there are perverts and touch women on the train, some even masturbate in front of school kids. I didn’t see any of it but I remember when I got on the women only carriage lol

When I came back to London I did a 10 week Japanese course and it would have made my trip a lot better going out there. I think next year I’m going for about 3-6 months and going north of Tokyo to places like Sapporo, etc.

Last edited:

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
this makes me feel like you never went. Or if you did, you didn’t explore properly!

Anyway for me it’s a 9.9 (votes 10 anyway). I REALLY loved the city and when I went I had the chance to go with a Japanese speaker who lived there, so I was hitting all the local places. I did a solo trip for 99% of the 3 week trip. Hit Hiroshima, Miya Jima, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo

The trains are amazing. Punctual, clean, quiet.
The food. Amazing.
The women. Mostly fine

The city/prefecture is huge too so there was a really weird (in a good way) split when you go to Harajuku, then a few mins around the corner is a beautiful quiet green park.

Or when you’re hustling and bustling and end up at Asakusa and it’s hauntingly quiet and peaceful

I really like the fact some parts are still stuck on the early 90s like the movies I grew up on. The inter-city trains are old but the bullet trains are new

My Mrs is half Japanese and I was at a house party the other day and there were more Japanese women there and I got talking to one woman who reminded me it’s not always good. Some of The working men there are perverts and touch women on the train, some even masturbate in front of school kids. I didn’t see any of it but I remember when I got on the women only carriage lol

When I came back to London I did a 10 week Japanese course and it would have made my trip a lot better going out there. I think next year I’m going for about 3-6 months and going north of Tokyo to places like Sapporo, etc.

I only make comments on places i have been..i didnt enjoy tokyo the way i thought i did, there were some places i liked , the food was ok...my wife enjoyed the food more thsn i did. If you liked it good for you