Rate this HBCU Day 28: Alabama A&M University

How would you rate Alabama A&M University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Alabama_A%26M_University_Seal.png
Alternative_Alabama_A%26M_logo.png

We last looked and Philander Smith College of Little Rock which got a great score of 7.7.

See the updated leaderboard here

Alabama A&M is the final school we are covering of what I would consider the superfecta of top engineering HBCUs including North Carolina A&T, Florida A&M, and Prairie View A&M. Located near Huntsville in northern Alabama it has been well-known as a science and engineering hub as well as a top band. Alabama A&M also has unique partnerships with NASA due to the nearby NASA Marshall Spaceflight Center including a space science program and undergrad robotics and high powered rocketry options. It also has one of the better physics labs for HBCUs with specialties such as nonlinear optics.

Alabama A&M was founded by former slave William Hooper Councill in 1875 using a $1,000 grant from the Alabama state legislature. It originally started as a teaching college but soon adopted the industrial education model of Tuskegee before transforming into a modern university with engineering at its core.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)

Founded: 1875

City, State: Normal, AL (basically Huntsville)

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Bulldogs

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 5,969 (5,107 undergraduate), 90% Black

Out of State Percentage: 46% (top states Georgia, Illinois, Tennessee, Florida, California)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 18:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 72%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 11% / 28%

Transfer out rate: 34%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 41% male / 59% female (1.4:1)

Tuition: In-state: $10k Out-of-state: $19k

Median Debt After Graduation: $31,000
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $36,339

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Electrical Engineering: $71k, Computer Science: $65k, Mechanical Engineering: $63k, Finance: $53k, Business Administration: $44k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Construction Engineering, Finance

Endowment: $52M

Alumni Engagement: 11.6% of alumni donate

Athletic Conference: SWAC (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Butch the Bulldog

AM-logo.jpg

Notable Alumni:

Sun Ra - Jazz composer (did not graduate)
Sun_Ra_%281973_publicity_photo_-_Impulse_ABC_Dunhill%29.jpg

Mandela Barnes - former Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
MandelaBarnesSpeech.png

Shelia Nash Stevenson - PhD physicist at NASA
Dr._Shelia_Nash-Stevenson.png

Lisa S. Jones - former NASA engineer and tech entrepreneur
400px-Lisa_S._Jones.jpg

Main Campus
Alabama-AM-University-unknown-copyright.jpg

aerial-large.jpg

College of Engineering

college-of-engineering-technology-and.jpg

Louis Crews Stadium
image_handler.aspx

New Alabama A&M Event Center

AF1QipOR3-AHgYL2IWiHUyvRZBUTD9hms77JipSgRcYm=s680-w680-h510

Alabama A&M University Marching Maroon & White
campus-life-band-lg.jpg

AAMU-band.jpg

fit

cheerleading-hero-medium.jpg

Dancin' Divas
Screen-Shot-2022-10-26-at-1.45.44-PM-640x414.png

Miss Alabama A&M

arianna.png
hopkinsons.jpg

@bxrfan @SuperGrizzy @Schmoove @Big Boss @Golayitdown @Crizzy @SubZeroDegrees @Rigby.
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Theolodius_Black @Anerdyblackguy

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Another HBCU powerhouse. A STEM powerhouse at that.

Nice campus, and it’s a site seeing those engineering median salary figures. Brehs and brehettes eating out there in that area and Huntsville. Looked at a few engineering jobs myself some time ago. If I didn’t have my daughter, I’d have no problem going out there for work. The area is booming.

Can’t wait to see @staticshock take on the school :russ:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another HBCU powerhouse. A STEM powerhouse at that.

Nice campus, and it’s a site seeing those engineering median salary figures. Brehs and brehettes eating out there in that area and Huntsville. Looked at a few engineering jobs myself some time ago. If I didn’t have my daughter, I’d have no problem going out there for work. The area is booming.

Can’t wait to see @staticshock take on the school :russ:

It is

It's jobs everywhere

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
My brother went here for 1 year and was on the baseball team but he’s a fukk up so he dropped out. Even had a bad joint on campus too smh

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’ll keep it classy unless @Schadenfreude comes in here talking reckless :mjgrin:

I’ve said this on here before but Alabama State was founded for the purpose of former slaves to become teachers while Alabama A&M was founded to teach former slaves agriculture & sciences I believe & eventually led to them having engineering programs. So ASU has always been the liberal arts school while A&M has been where the smart kids go.

NASA has a plant in Huntsville & they have a program with A&M to train future NASA employees. The space geek in me loves that & im a little jealous Bama State doesn’t have that

I’ve never been on their campus because we always play them at a neutral site for the Magic City Classic. Our rivalry with A&M was for a time the largest HBCU classic with 65K folks inside the stadium & another 5-10K outside tailgating. Folks get their tailgating spots 2 weeks in advance & just sit and wait there till game day :dead:

They’re our main rival, but we both share the struggle of the state of Alabama trying to play us for fools. A few buildings on each campus are named after Confederate generals..if I remember correctly the state could cut funding if the names were ever changed but I don’t think that law is around anymore. A&M & ASU both have a ton of alumni in Atlanta. I finally got to talk my shyt to my coworker this year after we beat them in the classic :wow:

I’ll give them a solid 7

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
I’ll keep it classy unless @Schadenfreude comes in here talking reckless :mjgrin:

I’ve said this on here before but Alabama State was founded for the purpose of former slaves to become teachers while Alabama A&M was founded to teach former slaves agriculture & sciences I believe & eventually led to them having engineering programs. So ASU has always been the liberal arts school while A&M has been where the smart kids go.

NASA has a plant in Huntsville & they have a program with A&M to train future NASA employees. The space geek in me loves that & im a little jealous Bama State doesn’t have that

I’ve never been on their campus because we always play them at a neutral site for the Magic City Classic. Our rivalry with A&M was for a time the largest HBCU classic with 65K folks inside the stadium & another 5-10K outside tailgating. Folks get their tailgating spots 2 weeks in advance & just sit and wait there till game day :dead:

They’re our main rival, but we both share the struggle of the state of Alabama trying to play us for fools. A few buildings on each campus are named after Confederate generals..if I remember correctly the state could cut funding if the names were ever changed but I don’t think that law is around anymore. A&M & ASU both have a ton of alumni in Atlanta. I finally got to talk my shyt to my coworker this year after we beat them in the classic :wow:

I’ll give them a solid 7

:ehh: surprising. I respect it. Funny thing is, at one point, the state of Alabama wanted to make A&M the engineering focused campus for the University of Alabama. I think Huntsville is the largest city in the state of Alabama now; Huntsville and Decatur/Athens is growing a TON. Toyota having two facilities and a bunch of engineering companies with a presence there is causing a ton of people to move.

BTW: You already know what time it is next year though at the Classic :ufdup:

As for the Alabama legislature and Kay Ivey...:scust:

Last edited: