Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 6 60.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Oakwood-University-Seal.png
2017acornlogo_copy.png

We last discussed Clinton College, the small SC junior college, which received an average score of 5.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we look at another small private HBCU that punches above its weight. Oakwood University of Huntsville, AL is the only HBCU founded by and affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist Church (SDA). Established in 1896 by the SDA cofounder Ellen G. White, it was set up as a school to teach industrial skills and spiritual education to Blacks. In a very epic sense, its site was founded on the abandoned plantation that used to enslave Dred Scott and his family, of the famous Dred Scott v. Sanford Supreme Court Case (Justice Taney :scust:). It evolved over time to become a liberal arts school but has kept a strong SDA affiliation and religious core. A couple years ago its basketball team forfeited a semifinal game since it was played on the Sabbath (which is Saturday for SDA).

Oakwood is also similar to many of the top tier HBCUs in subtle ways. It has a relatively high graduation rate around 50%, a large number of affluent students (13% come from $100k or more households) and actually has the lowest number of first generation college students amongst all HBCUs including Spelman, Morehouse, and Hampton. Over 85% of its students are out of state coming from not just nearby Georgia and Florida but also Texas, California, and New York sending dozens of students. Whether this is due to word of mouth, a strong presence of educated SDA students, or another factor is unclear.

Also of note is that Oakwood has one of the strongest music training programs amongst HBCUs. Its choir, the Aeolians (see below) are world famous and not by accident it has many famous musical alumni such as Little Richard, Brian McKnight, and members of the Gospel group Take 6 (including Brian McKnight's brother Claude).

Founded: 1896

City, State: Huntsville, AL

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit, Seven Day Adventist affiliated

Nickname: Ambassadors

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 1,452 (1,378 undergraduate), 92% Black

Part-time student percentage: 9%

First Generation Student Percentage: 18%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 43% / 13%

Out of State Percentage: 85% (top states: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, New York, Texas, California, Tennessee, Michigan)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 10:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 72%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 27% / 49%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 43% male/ 57% female (1.3:1)

Tuition: $20k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $27k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $25k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $38k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
N/A

Top Majors by Degrees:
Biology, Business, Liberal Arts, Nursing, Health Care Management, Religious Studies

Endowment: ~$15-20M

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: Gulf Coast Atlantic Conferece (GCAC) - NAIA

Mascot: Ambassador (as a Spartan) but also has a lion on their logo :yeshrug:
200.png
NlY-If3aAu86vzgSFAmPWX1xM3rqs07MeAjhh9Gh4o4.jpg

Notable Alumni:

Little Richard - Rock & Roll pioneer
little-richard-profile.jpg

Brian McKnight - R&B singer
22344db335457bf75c333b64fc124d26.jpg

File:Clifton_Davis_in_1998.jpg

Barry Black - former US Navy Chief Chaplain and former US Senate Chaplain
black-barry-chaplain.jpg

Main Campus
34PM72RWPBDWTK5JEM7A7ODWFE.jpg

OU_WEBSITE_campus_map.jpg

Oakwood Church
12Feb22-185.jpeg

Lane Stadium (new soccer stadium)

15653_00_N10_large10x10.jpg

champ_game.jpg

The Aeolians

2017-Aeolians-win-web-banner.jpg

Drum Line

Oakwood Cheerleaders
IMG_7955-e1572302171823.jpg

Miss Oakwood University

IMP_0227.jpg

Huntsville crew - @Chrishaune @Big Boss @Schadenfreude @Hathaway
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
So ironically my homie i met in chiropractic school, i know we never played them on the weekends for basketball on the fact of it being 7th day

Most hbcu’s are religious in orgins, but oak wood seems to be the most stringent, like they take that shyt seriously there, like no activities on Saturday shyt like that

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
For a school without a football team or a marching band they have a fantastic music program. One of my mentors went there for his masters in music & dudes a musical genius & he’s a real stand up dude. I’ll give it an 8

Alabama probably has the best collection of smaller HBCUs out of any state..Oakwood, Stillman, Miles, Talladega, & Tuskegee. Everyone I know from those schools are thriving and came out well prepared for whatever industry they work in

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Huntsville and that area really got it going on. I need to come out for a visit. I drove through there once coming from Ohio back to the Sipp. Bama brehs and brehettes don’t even need to leave the state for school, honestly.

That state rivals NC when it comes to HBCUs

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Huntsville and that area really got it going on. I need to come out for a visit. I drove through there once coming from Ohio back to the Sipp. Bama brehs and brehettes don’t even need to leave the state for school, honestly.

That state rivals NC when it comes to HBCUs
It’s a lot of options honestly