Rate this HBCU Day 37: University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

How would you rate the University of Arkansas Pine Bluff?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
480px-University_of_Arkansas_at_Pine_Bluff_Legacy_Seal.svg.png
640px-University_of_Arkansas_at_Pine_Bluff_logo.svg.png

We last covered Oakwood University which received an average rating of 7.3.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head back to Arkansas to see the SWAC contender the University of Arkansas Pine Bluff (UAPB). It is Arkansas' largest HBCU and a land-grant public university. Located in the heavily Black Arkansas Delta region, it was first started in Reconstruction as Branch Normal School and later as Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical & Normal College (Arkansas AM&N). It became UAPB in 1972 joining the University of Arkansas system.

UAPB has several notable programs including its music program, around since the beginning, which gave rise to many jazz and gospel singers as well as its aquaculture research program, one of the most well-known in the US.

Founded: 1873

City, State: Pine Bluff, AR

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Golden Lions/Lady Lions

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,670 (2,484 undergraduate), 94% Black

Part-time student percentage: 32%

First Generation Student Percentage: 37%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 61% / 3%

Out of State Percentage: 37% (top states: Mississippi, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Tennessee)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 14:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 68%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 26% / 41%

Transfer out rate: 24%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 41% male/ 59% female (1.4:1)

Tuition: In-state: $9k, Out-of-state: $16k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $24k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $10k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $32k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Industrial Technology Management: $49k, Business Administration: $37k, Biology: $32k, Social Work: $32k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Biology, Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts, Nursing, Criminal Justice, Arts/Music, Industrial Technology Management

Endowment: ~$10M

Alumni Engagement: 7.5% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SWAC (NCAA Div I)

Mascot: Golden Lions
1200px-Arkansas%E2%80%93Pine_Bluff_Golden_Lions_logo.svg.png

Notable Alumni:

Danny Davis - congressman for Illinois' 7th congressional district
DannyKDavis113th.jpg

James Leary - two time Grammy winning jazz musician
e45ba3649e3129a4834f88fa416e7662.jpg

Smokie Norful - pastor & Grammy winning gospel artist
SmokieNorful_250.jpg

Samuel L. Kountz - surgeon who performed first kidney transplant on non-twins
Samuel_Kountz.jpg

Main Campus

197209154_UAPBcampus_0121_t800.jpg

New Student Center
203153215_South-ExteriorRS.jpg

H.O. Clemmons Arena
H_O_Clemmons_Arena_Inside.jpg

Simmons Bank Field
202283457_UAPB-stadium_t800.jpg

UAPB Marching Musical Machine of the Mid-South (M4)
NKW0556.jpg

NIK0074.jpg

UAPB Spirit Team
1PB2Cheer0821.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

UAPB Golden Girls
UAPB+Golden+Girls.jpg

Miss UAPB
resized_150246-pb4ravenfranklinmug1120_89-31475_t1000.jpg

NEWS_312189995_AR_0_0_t600.jpg

dsc_1568.jpg

@murksiderock @Marc Spector @Swaggatron @Kiyoshi-Dono @Taadow @DUKE ILLINGTON - the Arkansas crew
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Bartender who I know graduated from there. She came from Washington state. Said it was a good school, and a real big culture shock for her coming from the west coast. Said she had a lot of fun; probably too much fun.

Cost wise; the schools price isn’t too bad in state or out of state. Looks to be a nice campus, and there are a few majors with decent earning potential listed; especially if you were to stay in Arkansas or the surrounding states. That admissions rate is a lot lower than I expected, if I’m being real. They’re pretty picky in who they allow in, which I see as a good thing.

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
A lot of my homies went to UAPB. I followed my cousins to UCA(PWI). Pine Bluff nikkas stayed on some fukk shyt. School is okay tho

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile of the school.
Land Grant University(with the resources that come with that) Division 1 Sports programs, decent alumni engagement.
+ An Aquaculture Research Dept. That's a field primed for growth, and I'd only heard of one other HBCU with a dept.

Don't know why I was confused and thought that Derek Fisher went there.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
April 14, 2024
According to UAPB Chancellor Laurence B. Alexander, the funding represents a major investment that will improve our educational facilities and equipment for preparing future generations of nurses and addressing the health care workforce needs.

“This facility will be a game changer for UAPB,” Alexander said. “The funds will enable us to build a technologically advanced nursing school facility that will strengthen the university’s role in addressing the nursing shortage and developing and growing the health care workforce across our state. On behalf of UAPB, I would like to express our gratitude to Senator Boozman for his commitment to our institution and to this region of the state.”

UAPB offers two program tracks: a pre-licensure Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree and a registered nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (R.N. to BSN) program for nurses who are already licensed. UAPB Provost & Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Dr. Andrea Stewart, added that “this investment to construct a new technologically advanced facility will enhance the foundation of the nursing pre-licensure baccalaureate program. Additionally, plans are underway to develop and establish new quality health care programs.”

Dr. Brenda Jacobs, Chair of the UAPB Nursing Department, applauded the funding as a key milestone in her plans to strengthen the program. According to Jacobs, the new funding allows UAPB to build upon prior successes, “There is no doubt that this will allow us to significantly enhance our program and recruit a new generation of talented nursing students.”

JD2019

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Dallas
This is my alma mater and yes I give back. I like this series on the Coli as it highlights the amount of institutions created by us out there. Loved my time at UAPB and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. You don't know how impactful it can be to be taught by people that look like you and will truly prepare you for what the world is actually like.