Rate this HBCU Day 43: Bowie State University

How would you rate Bowie State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 2 33.3%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
main.png
559px-Bowie_State_University.svg.png

We last covered Lincoln University of Pennsylvania which had an average score of 7.8.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we look at Maryland's oldest HBCU and the only one in Price George's County, the second richest majority Black county in the country. Bowie State was established in 1865 in Baltimore as the Baltimore Normal School for Colored Teachers to train Black teachers. It did not move to Prince George's County until 1910 where Jericho Farm was re-purposed with an old farmhouse transformed into a dormitory. Bowie remained primarily a school for training educators until it became a liberal arts school in 1963 when it was named Bowie State College in honor of the town it was located in.

Bowie State is the only suburban HBCU in the DC metro area and primarily serves Maryland residents, particularly from Prince George's, Montgomery, Baltimore, and Howard counties. Bowie County is notable for its students having some of the highest median earnings across public HBCUs, possibly influenced by the high salaries in the DC metro area. Its nursing and business majors do particularly well and its communications majors are the third highest paid amongst HBCUs. It could be a good value option, particularly for Maryland residents.

Founded: 1865

City, State: Bowie, MD

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Bulldogs

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 6,308 (5,381 undergraduate), 91% Black

Part-time student percentage: 19%

First Generation Student Percentage: 35%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 40% / 13%

Out of State Percentage: 17% (top states are New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 18:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 87%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 17% / 42%

Transfer out rate: 30%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 39% male/ 61% female (2.2:1)

Tuition: In-state: $9k, Out-of-state: $20k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $23k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $17k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $49k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation: $k
Nursing: $73k, Computer Science: $68k, Business Administration: $53k, Criminal Justice: $48k, TV/Radio Broadcasting: $44k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Radio & TV Broadcasting, Computer Science, Psychology, Biology, Education, Criminal Justice, Nursing

Endowment: $36M (incl. $25M from MacKenzie Scott)

Alumni Engagement: 5% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: CIAA (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Bulldogs
295px-Bowie_State_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png

Notable Alumni:

Toni Braxton - R&B singer
Toni_Braxton_-_Another_Sad_Love_Song_U.S..jpg

Christa McAuliffe - teacher on the doomed Challenger shuttle launch
191px-ChristaMcAuliffe.jpg

Note two HBCU alumni died on the Challenger (Ronald McNair from NC A&T was the other)

Joanne C. Benson - Maryland state senator for part of PG County
166px-Joanne_C_Benson.jpg

Main Campus
Bowie_State_University_Front_Entrance.jpg

Project_Bowie-State-Uni-CNSMN-Landscape-Hero-Mobile_01.jpg

Student Center
5ccadb8d2d89dc72041c35a13d8d31b2.jpg

New Science Building
162007_hero.jpg

MLK Communication Arts Building
349f0f9c-4f7d-4331-a185-6b1d824ab6d3.jpg

BSU Bulldogs Stadium
bsustadium0-78557a5a5056a36_78557b9d-5056-a36a-087c5444b717e448.jpg

A.C. Jordan Arena
nq0qst203jif0ixe-110_Ld360.jpg

Symphony of Soul Marching Band
band-for-news.jpg

Cheerleaders
CHEERLEADERS_2012-2013.jpg

2017-04-02-golden-girls-at-cheer-competition014.png

Dancing Divas
8092727712_42545b9ec0_b.jpg

10415278656_51dd78e7d8_b.jpg

@Eternally Jaded @Laidbackman @mastermind
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I know it's now a four-year college, but I would never want to return back to that particular HBCU. My two semesters there were enough. Then again, it's always nice to be around some young Black people trying to go some where. It kinda gives you that "A Different World" feeling, although I never lived on their campus. When I finally went back to that PWI I started at, graduated ,and finally landed that IT position, it was a different world all right. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
I really enjoyed my time there and one of the professors I had really keyed me into how writing could be a real strength of mine.

I had no thought to any kind of writing outside of essays for class, etc but he took me aside after class and genuinely big upped my talent for something I honestly did half-heartedly.

It stuck with me even til this day and for that alone, I'll always think the world of this school.

Give it a 10/10.

Sidenote, one of my godmother went there(she bought it to my attention when I was still in high school) when Toni Braxton was there and she always told us that even back then Toni was made stuck up.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
+1 Because as part of the settlement between the state of Maryland and her HBCUs, AND because they just inaugurated a progressive, pro-education champion at the statehouse, Gov. Wes Moore

As a result of the settlement, Bowie State University will receive $16.7 million in state funds in fiscal year 2023, and at least $9 million annually thereafter, through fiscal year 2032

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*great story about SEVERAL Black people stepping in to help support Rehan. Including those working in Admissions and Academic Counseling depts at Bowie State.

Staton applied to college but was rejected on account of his low GPA and test scores by each one he applied to, including Bowie State University, where (his brother) Reggie was a student at the time.

Staton began working for a sanitation company, cleaning and painting Dumpsters among other jobs, to help his dad pay the bills. It was at the sanitation company that Staton began receiving the support he needed.

“This is where everything in my life changes,” he said. “Everyone comes around me and embraces me and lifts me up.”

With the support of his co-workers and the help of a Bowie State professor, Staton successfully appealed his denial from the university. Because his father still needed help paying the bills, Reggie, without telling his father or his brother, opted to drop-out to support their father and allow his brother to attend.

“If he was the older brother and I was the younger brother, I have no doubt in my mind that he would’ve done the same thing,” Reggie Staton said.

Once at Bowie State, Rehan Staton found the support system he lacked and excelled academically.

After two years at Bowie State, Staton transferred to the University of Maryland, where he made dean’s list every semester and he served as president of the History Undergraduate Association, among other leadership roles.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

July 11, 2023

Bowie State Reaches $50 Million Campaign Goal Over Two Years Ahead of Schedule

Bowie State Reaches $50 Million Campaign Goal Over Two Years Ahead of Schedule

(BOWIE, Md.) – Bowie State University (BSU) the first HBCU in the State of Maryland has met its goal of raising $50 million as part of its fundraising campaign, BSU Bold: The Campaign for Excellence, two and a half years ahead of its scheduled 2025 closing date. The largest campaign in the history of the university has been fueled by strengthening the university’s professional fundraising organization and developing new relationships with alumni, friends, corporations and foundations.
As part of the campaign, gifts have been raised for a variety of purposes including the endowment which has increased over 500% from $7 million to $40 million. This explosive growth provides extraordinary benefits to the university, including a new level of private scholarship funding for students.

“We have not wasted a moment asking our philanthropic partners to invest in the success of our students through this campaign,” said Dr. Aminta Breaux, president of Bowie State University. “We are appreciative of all the individuals and organizations who have invested in our historic institution. Now we’re able to provide more of our students with scholarships. While we have met our initial campaign goal of $50 million – we are challenged and inspired to continue our fundraising and expand the campaign, inviting others to join as we raise an unprecedented level of support for our students. We must continue and work to help make college more affordable and reduce student loan debt.”

The Public Phase of BSU’s Campaign for Excellence began in December 2021, in the midst of the COVID pandemic and required the university to fine tune its fundraising processes and organizational structure. A unit dedicated to administering privately funded scholarships was established in the Office of Financial Aid, along with new stewardship and alumni engagement units created within what is now known as the Division of Institutional Advancement. In executing the initial phase of the campaign, the university leveraged technology and implemented industry best practices to engage with potential supporters.

“Given the urgency of the moment, the Campaign for Excellence will not only continue, but we are accelerating into an expanded goal, a larger scope, and frankly, higher expectations commensurate with Bowie State’s increased prominence and visibility,” said Brent Swinton, vice president for Institutional Advancement. “Besides scholarships and academic programs, the expanded campaign will also highlight BSU’s athletic programs (which do not receive any state funding), fine arts, nursing, and the university’s entrepreneurship education ecosystem.”

In addition to broadening the reach and amplifying the Bowie State University brand nationwide, efforts are underway regionally to further cultivate philanthropic support for the university among local communities.

“We’re fortunate that our unique local footprint includes Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, two major markets where corporations and agencies see the value in partnering with BSU,” said Swinton. “As we move forward with an extended campaign, we’ll work closely with our friends and affiliated organizations to generate more awareness of the world-class educational opportunities offered at Bowie State.”