Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 2 28.6%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
250px-Tuskegee_University_seal.svg.png
320px-Tuskegee_University_logo.svg.png

We last covered Bishop State Community College which received an average score of 6.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we cover the final school that will receive a standalone Rate this HBCU thread, and this school needs no introduction. Tuskegee University is one of the most storied colleges in America. As one of the premier HBCUs it is the crown jewel of the vision of Booker T. Washington and the many American elites he got to buy into its success such as Carnegie, Rockefeller, and more. Begun as a school focusing on vocational and technical training as well as entrepreneurship, it was originally the opposite of the vision of liberal arts training for Blacks advocated by those such as W.E.B. DuBois. For many decades, Tuskegee established a model which countless other HBCUs emulated and developed themselves to copy. Tuskegee even raised international attention with delegations from China and India arriving to study the school and take its lessons back to their countries. It also once had one of the largest international students of all HBCUs with a large Afro-Cuban contingent in the late 19th and early 20th century after the Spanish-American War.

Tuskegee was founded in 1881 but not by Booker T. Washington as was widely believed. Tuskegee University was founded on July 4, 1881 being the vision of a Black Alabama leader Lewis Adams. He was able to arrange support from the Macon County government to found the school by marshaling Black support behind the White state senate candidate W.F. Foster, a former Confederate officer. Upon his victory, Foster kept his promise and the Tuskegee Normal School for Colored Teachers was born. Looking for a competent leader, Adams turned to the well known vocational institute, the Hampton Institute (now Hampton University) and they replied by sending a young 25 year old teacher at the school, Booker T. Washington, to lead Tuskegee.

Booker T. Washington went right to work with a strong vision and drive. He facilitated the purchase of an abandoned 100 acre plantation as a campus. He continued training teachers, the original vision of the school, but also added many trades and agricultural training and research in order to meet the practical needs of rural Blacks in the South. Tuskegee was raised to national prominence, and controversy, by Washington's stance laid out in his Atlanta Compromise speech, made against the background of a violent and increasingly segregated post-Reconstruction world, where he stated training and economic development for Blacks should take precedence over agitation against segregation. He used the notoriety from the speech to help raise the profile for Tuskegee and engaging in a prodigious fundraising drive that helped bring in donations from many of America's most powerful businessmen and families, some of which also sat on the school's board. He would mentor other founders like Mary McCleod Bethune to build their own schools as well. He also attracted many talented Black professors, most well known being the agricultural researcher George Washington Carver. The modern campus built in the early 20th century was designed by the first Black MIT graduate Robert Robinson Taylor, great-grandfather of Obama mentor and confidante Valerie Jarrett.

Tuskegee University was also the origin and center for the famed Black World War II fighter ace squadron, the Tuskegee Airmen. The US Air Force stated an air training school there 1941 from where the Tuskegee Airmen graduated. This training school later evolved into the current Aeronautical Engineering department at Tuskegee.

Tuskegee also has an infamous part to its history as well --- The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment where poor Black men were deceived about their latent syphilis and the effects of untreated syphilis where studied from 1942-1972. As a result of this travesty, President Bill Clinton issued a formal apology on behalf of the US government and Tuskegee established a Bioethics Institute, one of the only ones I know of at a HBCU.

Today Tuskegee is well-known for its top engineering program (a legacy of its vocational heritage) as well as its liberal arts offerings. Its engineers are well-respected and earn some of the highest salaries for engineering schools in general, and especially HBCUs. It remains one of the most prototype HBCUs and will hopefully retain its status for decades to come.

Booker T. Washington
170px-Booker_T_Washington_retouched_flattened-crop.jpg

Booker T. Washington with steel magnate Andrew Carnegie sitting together
Booker-T-Washington-sponsors-Andrew-Carnegie-Tuskegee-1903.jpg

Founded: 1881

City, State: Tuskegee, AL

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit

Nickname: Golden Tigers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,654 (2,184 undergraduate), 98% Black

Part-time student percentage: 5%

First Generation Student Percentage: 23%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 42% / 14%

Out of State Percentage: 75%, (Top States: Georgia, California, Illinois, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 9:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 30%

4-Yr / 6-Yr Graduation rates: 33% / 67%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 37% male/ 63% female (1.7:1 ratio)

Tuition: $23k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $27k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $47k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $44k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Mechanical Engineering: $89k, Electrical Engineering: $83k, Chemical Engineering: $79k, Accounting: $74k, Registered Nursing: $74k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Registered Nursing, Mechanical Engineering, Animal Sciences, Business, Biology

Endowment: ~$150M

Alumni Engagement: 25% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SIAC (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Golden Tigers

219px-Tuskegee_Golden_Tigers_logo.svg.png

Main Campus:

Wallpaper%20-%20Aerial%20Image.jpg

Sign_and_Margaret_Murray_Washington_Hall_Tuskegee_University.jpg

Tuskegee-Institute-01-590x387.jpg

Luther H. Foster Hall - School of Engineering
download%20(3).jpeg

Cleve L. Abbott Memorial Stadium
DJI_0359%20copy.jpg

Daniel "Chappie" James Center
fit

@Insensitive
@invalid @MostReal @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Notable Alumni:
Ralph Ellison - author best known for the Invisible Man
Ralph_Ellison_photo_portrait_seated.jpg

Claude A. Barnett - founder of the Associated Negro Press, the first international Black news agency
Claude-Barnett-2.jpg

Chauncey Eskridge - lawyer for MLK and argued Muhammed Ali's conscientious objector case at the US Supreme Court in Clay v. United States overturning his prior conviction

Charlotte Morton Hubbard - first Black assistant deputy Secretary of State (under LBJ)
CharlotteMHubbard1964.png

Gen. Daniel "Chappie" James Jr. - Tuskegee Airman and the first Black to reach four star general status
188px-James_DanielChappie.jpg

Amelia Boynton Robinson - Civil Rights legend and key figure in the Bloody Selma march
27robinson-1-obit-articleLarge.jpg

Betty Shabazz - wife of Malcolm X
c-web-clients-ctfumbraco-_tmp-shabazz.jpg

Tom Joyner - prominent nationally syndicated radio host
tomJoyner1.jpg

Lionel Richie - famous R&B singer
251f6b43bb78fcc9d01e7cd8c20337a0.jpg

The Commodores - (including original member Lionel Richie) met at Tuskegee (on the night shift)
NDMtODMxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Lonnie Johnson - engineer and Super Soaker inventor
1time%20lonnie%20johnson%20super%20soaker%201200.jpg

Jake Simmons - prominent Black oilman and helped develop oil in Oklahoma and later in Africa partnering with oil majors
46794133_1426285117.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Well, that's all folks! Sorry for the delay since I have been buried in work and personal stuff for a couple weeks.

I covered basically every HBCU with the exception of some grad schools I will combine in another post: Morehouse School of Medicine, Southern University Law Center, and the University of the District of Columbia Law School. I will also do a post on some of the dead HBCUs that have gone under.

For the majority non-Black HBCUs, see this post

Thanks everyone who contributed. I wish I could tag you all (maybe I will do so later).

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Well, that's all folks! Sorry for the delay since I have been buried in work and personal stuff for a couple weeks.

I covered basically every HBCU with the exception of some grad schools I will combine in another post: Morehouse School of Medicine, Southern University Law Center, and the University of the District of Columbia Law School. I will also do a post on some of the dead HBCUs that have gone under.

Thanks everyone who contributed. I wish I could tag you all (maybe I will do so later).
Thank You for the time and effort. Excellent informative series.
Was trying to figure out which school hadn't been covered yet. Great decision to end with Tuskegee.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Super strong legacy with this university. Not only that it’s still one of the better ones academically. Going with nine.

Also I agree with Rollie Forbes OP. You have one of the best series in Coli history and your efforts have been amazing

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This is a great profile of the school. Very good completion numbers, good alumni engagement. Well functioning school.
Also, great point about the engineering program being an extension of the vocational roots of the school.

Despite the fact that I just found out that he wasn't the founder (after opening up this thread), Booker T. Washington has to be one of the three central figures if the discussion is about the history of HBCUs or education.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola

If they’d let me I’d rep you I’d give you more

Thank you so much, the board needs to take this and archive your post so someone can scroll the different hbcu’s and get a quick glance at them, this series is one of the most important ones on the board, you truly did an amazing thing bruh

So two of my cousins went to Tuskegee, at different times, so i remember we used to fly into the i think atl or the ham, my grandpa would pick me and my one cousin up, drop him off to Tuskegee then head to his home in villa rica right outside Douglasville, and I’d stay with him for 2-3 weeks so mom could get a break, i used to hate that long as ride, but in retrospect grandpa was a real one cuz he was making sure his grandchild got to school and that was a lot of driving, but it was a comfortable ride, grandpa had a this bronze/peach caddy with cloth seats and it was plush af

As for the school i know a few alum from the crib and chiropractic school, i know they was in the stix and you’d have to go to auburn AL to hit an actual city

I know this one thick ass nurse who went there out of Michigan,

A good ass school rich history

My cousin told me bout how the KKK had a parade near their campus, and they snuck on buildings and sprayed them with super soakers full of they piss

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
That being said, my pops graduated from Tuskegee and I always fukk with folks from Tuskegee.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

Tuskegee University historically has been tremendous in upward mobility of black Americans in the South. I know Booker T. came on board a few years after the school was actually founded but I gotta look into him acquiring land for the school, didn't know about that.

Much respect to @DrBanneker for this series. Very enlightening for the masses of the coli. Appreciate this so much.