Real Estate Investing/Development

Daps
It was a bank auction. Basically a foreclosure.

Well since I got burned with the plumbing, I would definitely pay for a video inspection before moving forward with a purchase. That wasn't a option since it was a foreclosure.

In the beginning I wanted to do alot of upgrades thinking that would yield me more profit. That didn't last.

I put in ceiling fans and light fixtures in all the rooms.
Painted the cabinets and replaced faucets and lights in the bathrooms

Every room got a fresh coat of paint on walls and trim.

Kitchen got new appliances and I added a backsplash and kitchen faucets, garbage disposal.

Curb appeal is a must. Absolutely spend money on a good yard guy. Nothing extravagant just nice and clean. That goes for most of the upgrades yo ui lol make to the property.

Dont go cheap on work that has to be done the right way the first time. Like AC repair and plumbing.

Not passing a buyer's inspection is a time killer and can be costly. Make sure your work is done correctly and up to code.

This house didn't need much work. I would highly recommend looking for a property that's in good shape on your first flip. The profit might be smaller but you learn the process and get comfortable with working your budget.

Good luck

Thanks for the drop. One more thing...how did you finance this investment? I have been trying to find a hard money lender.

Azul

Sunkissed.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Comfort Zone
How hard is it to get your real estate license?

Also if you get one you can practice your trade anywhere right?:patrice:

I got my license in May. Not difficult at all. In fact, I'd say it is a bit too easy. Tons of morons in the game and oversaturated. I see you're in NY breh and your license will only be valid and of use here. However, there are certain states where having a NY license will make it much easier for you.

My goal is to be an investor. I want to close a few deals (currently have a few buyers and actually snagged my first listing :blessed:) then jump into the game. You can PM me if you have more questions.

Spin

All Star
Daps
I did a lot of research on this about a year and half ago
Read bigger pockets for a while (and the podcast)
Did all of the analysis excel spread sheets they have on there
Then I met Ken Weinstein (Welcome | Philadelphia Magazine) and did a mentor thing with him for while and another guy who had 50+ properties spent some time with me going to homes and evaluating them as properties
Ultimately I fell back and never put any skin into the game for the following reasons:

-It's ALOT of dumb money in the market right now. Every body and their grandma is trying to flip houses or develop real estate right now in my area, feels very 2008ish.
Now a lot of dudes who were successful from 2009-til now mostly on off the rebound of prices are starting to "sell shovels to the gold miners". With hard money loans and selling real estate courses. To me that a sure sign that most of the gains may be gone in this market

-I needed to learn more about contractors, and I found difficulty finding trust worthy ones to work with

-Tons of shady ass "wholesalers" who promise you xyz and it's some bullshyt when you look into it further

-Can't trust nobody: The one mentor I had with the 50+ properties went with me to a spot that was $45k so we can peep it. A day or two later that shyt was sold and I think the mentor bought it cash (the house wasn't even listed, it was a property we had an inside track on...which is another issue. Most of the good deals never even get to the stage of going public)

-A lot of cash buyers you just can't compete with, see above, this is especially a problem at the sheriff sale where dudes like ken weinstien go and spend $300K like it's nothing

There is obviously money to be made, just do your research, find mentors with the realization they will still be your competition, and hope you are in an area where there is still room for going returns

Look into rentals. Find cheap multi families that just need touch ups and rent them out.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
Thanks for the drop. One more thing...how did you finance this investment? I have been trying to find a hard money lender.
Straightcashhomey

I found a partner, not a friend, we were talking one day, nikka hit me up like” I got 50k right now wassup?”

We made a Llc, put the agreement on paper and went looking for a property.

Flipped our first property and now we’re waiting to close on another property.

All repair cost and and profit split down the middle. We agreed to keep 50 k in the business account after each flip we’ll contribute a little more to the base 50 k.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
bet they were making 10-15K monthly :ohhh:

:lolbron:

Nope, they weren't just involved in real estate so they accrued more than that
and those weren't even my top staff.

Anyway for the astute investors in here. If you want to know where the next hot markets
are in the US take a look at the PENDING HOME SALES INDEX (If your mentor doesn't
know what this is - dip immediately) and data about the local job economies from 3 sources .

National Census
Office of Bureau Labor and Statistics

Federal Housing Finance Agency (formerly known as Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight)

This will help you identify deflated/depressed markets that will rebound in the future.
Now the key to putting all this together is looking even deeper at migration patterns
for high inbound/high outbound/balanced economies.

Where do you find this ?

United VanLines Movers Study ( they been at it since the 70s) :wow:

then you can start deploying some capital/exploring those areas
and wait for the ridiculous appreciation (20-30%) and feast

when the speculators come in the game too late :mjlit:

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
Straightcashhomey

I found a partner, not a friend, we were talking one day, nikka hit me up like” I got 50k right now wassup?”

We made a Llc, put the agreement on paper and went looking for a property.

Flipped our first property and now we’re waiting to close on another property.

All repair cost and and profit split down the middle. We agreed to keep 50 k in the business account after each flip we’ll contribute a little more to the base 50 k.

I got like 50k and have been looking at the a few cities, but I been trigger shy.

I live in Cali and 50k can't even get u shack out here. I'm trying to get some steady cash flow on the side from my day job

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
speaking about jay morrison, he seems to be a smart dude. has anyone heard of that crowdfund venture, Tulsa Real Estate Fund?

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
speaking about jay morrison, he seems to be a smart dude. has anyone heard of that crowdfund venture, Tulsa Real Estate Fund?
Yea breh, as I understand it it’s just a REIT. A vehicle to invest in real estate and the investors get dividend checks. I forget the avg returns but IMO you’d be better off investing in stocks. If I was going to put some money into that fund it would be for actual change in the communities they’re investing in. You can get higher returns in other investments. I still support Jay though.

As far as real estate rentals and fix and flips, I’m saving up some money and focusing on knocking out my student loan debt. I’m stationed in Corpus Christi tx and it’s some bullshyt out here, not anything like Atlanta and I’m focusing on doing my 2 years out here till I go to my next duty station. And the rental market isn’t that great.

I feel like I can’t do much till I get some reserves set up. I should be in a good spot in the summer of 2020 though.

Last edited:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I just came across something the other day called Fundrise.com which focuses on real estate/investing , seems to be getting good reviews, but I want to know if any people in here have used it? Thanks in advance.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This is a lot of good information.

A couple of you mentioned it as suggestions, so how do yall feel about renting-out (Airbnb) instead of outright flipping?

For those who have, can you share your experiences? I've been thinking of doing so for a while now and i know there's an overarching strategy of finding locations where people would actually want to rent out a house (like in tourist attraction spots or near downtown/beach areas) but i'm curious about all the nuances that go into it.

I'm also weary about the housing market and some of the shady ish you guys pointed out in your experiences, so that's why i'm wondering if renting out is a better, even if less lucrative means?

MMA

Superstar
Daps
This is a lot of good information.

A couple of you mentioned it as suggestions, so how do yall feel about renting-out (Airbnb) instead of outright flipping?

For those who have, can you share your experiences? I've been thinking of doing so for a while now and i know there's an overarching strategy of finding locations where people would actually want to rent out a house (like in tourist attraction spots or near downtown/beach areas) but i'm curious about all the nuances that go into it.

I'm also weary about the housing market and some of the shady ish you guys pointed out in your experiences, so that's why i'm wondering if renting out is a better, even if less lucrative means?
Only if your property is in a popularity traveled to city/place
Flipping is more based on building capital
If you don't see the value going up anytime soon (3 years) - flip. If you do see it going up in value - do airbnb/rent out, that's my rule of thumb with rental properties :manny:

Sugarbush

Sucka Free
Supporter
Daps
I just came across something the other day called Fundrise.com which focuses on real estate/investing , seems to be getting good reviews, but I want to know if any people in here have used it? Thanks in advance.
I use it. Had it for a couple of months now; chose long term growth so I won’t see any ROI for a while. I like them because they add diversification to my portfolio plus their UI is cool.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I use it. Had it for a couple of months now; chose long term growth so I won’t see any ROI for a while. I like them because they add diversification to my portfolio plus their UI is cool.

Great, thanks for the response. Did you invest low at the $500 minimum or a lot more than that?