Regardless of how well Swerve's promo goes, on Collison, AEW shows how much storytelling matters?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I'm all for Swerve being champion but I would have preferred he keep his heel killer persona en route to it.

Alas.
I mean he signed his name in blood and damn near tried to murder Joe with a chain.

But anyway the championship celebration thing is such a WWE sports entertainment thing. I don't remember this being done in NWA or Japan. I could be wrong tho. It works with heels so they can tease the crowd. But it wasn't necessary if they were gonna have Mercedes and Willow build toward their main event.

He should have been given the mic pre or post match to cut a promo tho.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
He was always planned for the promo to open the show tonight because of the gigantic lead-in they’ll get from the NBA game. It’s the highest rated quarter for weekly TV they might ever have in their history. And they are putting a Swerve promo segment there.

People complaining on Wednesday isn’t the reason why it’s happening tonight.
I doesn’t excuse the fact that we seen 6 other people before we seen the World Champion

And the show started with a rivalry that should been played out on Rampage

Also he struggled against a jobber who hasn’t won a match on Dynamite since October

That lead in only 3% if that much will stick around as soon as the Collision graphic shows up

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The fact that he doing a promo speaks volumes he wouldn’t be doing it if people weren’t complaining online

That's not true... the plan was always that he was going to do a promo at the beginning of 'Collision' because of the NBA lead in and no "Inside the NBA"

Sorry but we have to state the facts of the matter... TK is a bad booker but this was the plan :manny:

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
LMAO

Imagine Cody wins the title at Mania in an emotional victory that was built up for a long time. He comes out on Raw after several random irrelevant opening segments and wrestles JD McDonagh for 20 minutes and that’s all we see of Cody for the night. Nothing else is announced for the rest of the show at all. The fans immediately take to social media voicing their displeasure.

The next day WWE posts a tweet announcing we will hear from Cody on Smackdown and expect the fans to believe that was the plan all along. :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Tony Khan always tweets out matches and segments with only a day advance or sometimes not even a day advance. He's done that since the beginning in 2019 and the dirtsheets had the story on the Collision/NBA lead in idea before Tony even announced it.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
AEW World Champion Swerve Strickland started his reign in fine fashion on the April 24 "AEW Dynamite" as he defeated ROH World Television Champion Kyle Fletcher in an Eliminator Match. Despite a strong performance, some were surprised to see Strickland wrestling so soon after his title win over Samoa Joe at Dynasty, instead expecting him to cut a promo to give some insight into what the future holds for him now that he is champion. However, this was all by design.

Strickland will cut his first promo as the AEW World Champion at the beginning of the April 27 "AEW Collision," which according to a report by Fightful Select is expected to get a big lead-in on TNT thanks to the show immediately following the NBA playoffs. AEW sources told Fightful that the game between the Boston Celtics and Miami Heat is set to be the best lead-in of AEW's year, meaning that by placing their new champion at the top of the show, the most possible eyes will be on Strickland, benefiting him greatly.

I swear dummies can’t think beyond one night :pachaha:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I swear dummies can’t think beyond one night :pachaha:
When Swerve's first match after winning the world title is against Kyle Fletcher who has lost four straight TV singles matches in AEW:
Why is Swerve wasting his time wrestling a guy that has lost four straight singles matches? This is some bullshyt booking, fukk Tony Khan I hope AEW dies.

When Cody's first match since winning the world title is against Carmelo Hayes, who has lost four straight main roster TV singles matches:
What a great match and showcase for an up and coming talent. Carmelo is HIM. Triple H, I bask in your glory and I present to you my anus for you to do with as you wish.

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It’s quite simple. AEW fukks up, immediately reaches out to the dirt sheets to help push the narrative this was the plan all along so the freakazoids fall in line. The dirt sheets will literally do anything Tony Khan tells them to do and help spread his bullshyt propaganda. :russell:

compare Cody wrestling Carmelo damn near 3 weeks after wrestling Roman, to swerve wrestling Kyle fukking fletcher 3 days after becoming champ, brehs :mjlol:

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
When Swerve's first match after winning the world title is against Kyle Fletcher who has lost four straight TV singles matches in AEW:
Why is Swerve wasting his time wrestling a guy that has lost four straight singles matches? This is some bullshyt booking, fukk Tony Khan I hope AEW dies.

When Cody's first match since winning the world title is against Carmelo Hayes, who has lost four straight main roster TV singles matches:
What a great match and showcase for an up and coming talent. Carmelo is HIM. Triple H, I bask in your glory and I present to you my anus for you to do with as you wish.
Two completely different situations

One a jobber who has won a match since last year (ROH doesn’t count) get a number 1 contenders match when he did nothing to deserve it

Two an newcomer who’s known for being cocky & wants to beat the best Challenges the number 1 Guy in the company to a NON TITLE match in a showcase match

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga

One a jobber who has won a match since last year (ROH doesn’t count) get a number 1 contenders match when he did nothing to deserve it

Two an newcomer who’s known for being cocky & wants to beat the best Challenges the number 1 Guy in the company to a NON TITLE match in a showcase match

Was there a backstory to Kylie Fletcher facing swerve? Or was it just a randomly announced match?

At least with Carmelo, there was a quick segment to set the match up

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Was there a backstory to Kylie Fletcher facing swerve? Or was it just a randomly announced match?

At least with Carmelo, there was a quick segment to set the match up
With Kyle there was no story before or after the match it meant nothing it was randomly announced

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
It’s quite simple. AEW fukks up, immediately reaches out to the dirt sheets to help push the narrative this was the plan all along so the freakazoids fall in line. The dirt sheets will literally do anything Tony Khan tells them to do and help spread his bullshyt propaganda. :russell:

compare Cody wrestling Carmelo damn near 3 weeks after wrestling Roman, to swerve wrestling Kyle fukking fletcher 3 days after becoming champ, brehs :mjlol:
conspiracy-theory.gif